PDA

View Full Version : Fork Oil and Rear SHOCK....86 200x...HELP

roger86200x
07-14-2003, 10:11 PM
Hey....My rear shock seems wore out I think....it it still stiff to push down but it doesn't come back up very quickly.....real stiff but it does....it doesnt bounce...lol I dont know but I think it is wore out...shocks are the only thing thats I dont have any experience with....:) How do I know if it is wore out?? Could someone describe the symptoms if it is??

Also the forks....should I and How do I change the oil in them? I think thety have oil....atleast thats what i get from the reading on here...lol

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MR ATC
07-14-2003, 11:18 PM
it definatly sounds like your shock has some problems and i would suspect a bent shaft. they are also one of the last things people learn how to work on. forks on the other hand are rather simple to do. however when doing repairs like these i always recomend the use of a service manual ( preferably a factory one). however if you want to do a quick half a$$ed job you can remove the drain bolt at the bottom of the leg to drain the oil out. once its drained you can relace oil in the top of the tube to the recomended amount. so why is that half a$$ed. because with this method their is no way you will get all the old oil out and this pose's two problems...1 it will contaminate the new oil in about 2 seconds and nulify what you just did ( fork oil is worse then tranny oil yet forks are more sesitive to oil then any other part on your trike) 2 with the oil that is still left in the fork you will not get a acurate fork oil level and again the littlest amount can make a dramatic differance in performance. my recomendation is to get the manual and study it then tear into your forks clean the parts and reassemble with new oil. and to tell you how easy it is i could have torn apart two fork legs in the time it took me to wright this. (provided they were out of the trike)

roger86200x
07-15-2003, 03:12 PM
thanx mr. atc!!! and if the shaft is bent....sounds like it could be....i have to buy a whole new shock right?

Dirtcrasher
07-17-2003, 11:20 AM
Almost every bike I tried to merely drain and refill developed a leaky fork seal a few rides later. Now I tear them down and clean them first and have no problems. I'v evn had leaking seals and cleaned it all out and had vey little or no seepage withou replacing the seals - when your broke - your broke.

MR ATC
07-17-2003, 02:35 PM
thanx mr. atc!!! and if the shaft is bent....sounds like it could be....i have to buy a whole new shock right?

no not at all. you can have works performance install their "guts" upgrade kit (i'm almost positive they have one for the 200X but not 100%) that will replace the shaft and give you much better performance.

roger86200x
07-18-2003, 01:59 PM
where can I contact works performance? do they have a website?