PDA

View Full Version : 250R front end on a 250SX?

mmiguy2103
03-15-2009, 11:57 AM
hey guys i am new here but have owned 7 total 3 ATC's i love em and love the site. i just bought a stock 85 250sx in mint condition, except the front end. the guy i bought it from said his kid was on it in the garage and ran it right into the back wall. i checked it out and it has no frame damage! but the front forks are both def bent. so instead of putting stock stuff back on i would love to get a bettter from end.,

so i am looking at the front ens off of a 84-85 250R i would love to have a disk brake up front. can anyone tell me if the steering stem is the same diameter? also the length? has anyone done this swap? also if it wont work what front end can i use?

thanks in advance!

Chris

racerxxx
03-15-2009, 09:37 PM
First off :welcome: to the boards!

I just thought you might like this info:

smvorndran (one of the guys on the boards wrote this), I'm not taking any credit for this, I just saved it for future refrence for my 250SX and I thought I share it with you. Also if you search the boards other guys have put complete 200X front ends on as well, this way you get the narrower sport front tire rather than the fatty.

"Quote from smvorndran"

"I used the 250SX triples, 200X forks, 250SX fender, 250SX headlight, 250SX front axle, 200X front wheel & brake system. To do the conversion, like Dirtcrasher said, you need to add spacers on the outside of the current 200X spacers on the 250SX axle, and add spacers between the forks and caliper mount plate. My axle spacers were .790" Outside diameter, 19/32" Inside diameter, and .790" long. You need 2, one for each side. The brake plate that bolts to the forks needs spaced as well. Those spacers were 5/8" Outside diameter, 21/64" Inside Diameter, and .790" long. You need two of those as well.

You'll also need 2 new M8x1.25 x 65mm flange head bolts to bolt the plate back on. My hardware store only had 70mm long bolts for $1.80 a piece. I ground the length down a little, so the bolts just stick thru the plate about a 1/16th of an inch. It's going to be an awesome setup!!! Just a note, I also added 1.25" long aluminum spacers on top of the springs to take out the sag of the forks on the heavier 250SX."

If you've got a spare set of spacers sitting around I can turn down on a lathe, I'll hook you up. It took more time to measure things up correctly than it did to bolt it together. Now that I have the measurements, it's an easy conversion. You have to use the 200X stock spacers towards the inside of each side, then add modified SX spacers to make up the difference.

Racerxxx

Dirtcrasher
03-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Uggh, there is SO much to say about these swaps.....

The 83/84 250R or the 83/85 200X are the best swaps that "fit" that model.

The 85/86 250R is overkill and the 350X is also a bit much.

The rear shock is useless, the rear end has so many pieces bolted together that it too is useless.

If you jump, get another model. If you don't jump, no need to go crazy on the front end. A 200X front end is a very nice upgrade and you gain a disc brake.

All of the conversions require a bit of ingenuity and you have to weld steering stops on the 250SX neck or there is too much over-steer.

I LOVE my 250SX, but it's no 200X or 350X and I have to eat those words that I stood by years ago :D I just don't ride it, I like to jump and it just can't withstand the abuse.....

Here to help though anyhow :D