PDA

View Full Version : Primary stator coil on a 200ES

wilman
03-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Maybe kind of a dumb question, but where is the primary stator coil on a 1984 200ES? I have a wiring diagram and I am presuming the pickup coil is the stator coil but where is it on the trike? I am thinking it is back behind the recoil by the alternator and I have to pull the recoil off to check it or replace it? Taiser gave me some good information last week on trying to figure out why I have weak, intermitant spark. I check the primary and second coils out and they ohm out good, but don't really know where to go to check the ohms on the stator. I work on old tractors normally so I am not to afraid of working on things but not knowing where this stator is is driving my crazy:lol: I definitely need to get a repair manual.

Thanks for your help

Wil

Taiser
03-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Yeah the stator is in the engine block. You don't have to take anything apart to check it though. Just follow the wires up from behind the recoil. They should end up under the tank (you will have to take off the tank, unless some other guy messed with em and left them hanging) and there should be a rubber covered plug there. Just unplug it to get access to the ends of the wire. You can feed the ohm meter right into the wire ends in the plugs and check the resistance. You should be able to download a manual from this site. I think :dammit: has links in his signature for the downloads. :)

atc500x
03-15-2009, 08:38 AM
200es seem to have some problem with the primary stator coil,but more with the CDI box.I had one that always start fine but sometimes 1 time per day,won't start,the problem was the CDI.I bought a good used one but sold the trike before receiving the parts,so if you need one let me know

wilman
03-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks Taiser, I will check that out this afternoon and see what I get. I found the manual also, great information and this is a great website. Just like the old tractor websites I usually hang out on, you can usually find someone to help out and answer a question. I am the 2nd owner of this 3 wheeler and bought it back in late 1984 or early 1985 because the previous owner had traded it in for a new 1985 Big Red. I have never had any problems with it and it has been a great ATC. Everything on it is still original so I guess I can expect to have to do a little work on it after 24 or 25 years:-)

atc500x, I'll see what I find out with the stator and if that checks out, I will get in contact with you. Thanks

Thanks again

Wil