PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrrr.....what a PIA!!!! Update! Axle is out and brake drum off!

saturnthegiant
03-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Well, of course, getting the rear brake drum off the 125m isn't going smoothly! I've heated, hammered, pulled, everything, even had my daughter (she's 16) hold a wooden block while i tried to hammer the axle out, used a gallon of PB blaster. Nothing's working! I read where some of you mentioned that there would be an o-ring that may be stuck on.....i'm not sure where it should be. I took off the two large brake drum nuts, and there was like a washer behind them. Is that the o-ring everyone's talking about? Here's a couple of pics of what i'm down to..... am i missing something? It's time to walk away for a while before i get pissed and ruin something!:mad:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/arkyhunter/018.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/arkyhunter/021.jpg

The brake pads are free, i can see them flopping around inside the drum, and the adjuster is all the way out! Guess i'll be buying a gear puller. Any suggestions?

Howdy
03-14-2009, 04:27 PM
The o-ring will or should be inbetween the axle and the drum near the edge. I marked it on the picture attatched.

You may want to heat the drum up pretty warm and then try knocking the axle out through the other side. I have had to do this a few times in the past. Just be sure your chain, cover, ect are out of the way on the other side. If you don't the sprocket / axle will move them when it starts moving.

Howdy

Twilight
03-14-2009, 04:27 PM
have a manual? its your best friend

saturnthegiant
03-14-2009, 04:35 PM
There was a washer type thing there where you have circles, it came off no problem.....and yes i have a manual.....it says "remove the two brake drum nuts, remove the brake drum cover, and slide off the drum"! Ha! If only it was 1984 again huh? :cry:

leevarnado
03-14-2009, 05:36 PM
release the tension on the drum by taking the lever or arm off.its the thing your brake cables are connected to.did that before and man did it make a hell of a difference.also,try so kroil,if that doesnt penetrate it nothing will.

ironchop
03-14-2009, 06:20 PM
heat the drum flange near the axle...but don`t heat the axle or both will swell

when that didn`t work on a 200S I had, I bought a used drum from someone here and I beat old stuck the drum to pcs. with a BFH, sawsalled the flange about halfway thru cutting inline with the axle and it hammered right off....but that was the last resort move...and NOT covered in the manual...hahaha

when metal rusts, it swells up tightening the fit...and after too long, penetrating oil won`t help much

CRAZY70MAN
03-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Try warming it up pretty good and then give it a splash of cold water. Have seen mechanics on heavy equipment at work use this method....it works.

Russell 350X
03-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Heat it up almost cherry red, then spray it with blaster. Worked great for me.

oscarmayer
03-15-2009, 12:12 PM
rent a slide hammer to pull the drum off. it should slide right off with tugging and tapping.

oscarmayer
03-15-2009, 12:18 PM
forgott to add. (edit not letting me edit) ensure you have remvoed everything off the chain side of the axle. even the sprocket. and the covers. this will ensure nothing is stopping the axle from moving out that way.

saturnthegiant
03-15-2009, 05:28 PM
I have the left side stripped down to the sprocket, but how do you get the sprocket off? It looks like you'd have to hammer it off too.....I didn't think you'd have to take the whole sprocket off, just the chain. I need to look through the manual again i guess.

1985BigRed250ES
03-15-2009, 06:39 PM
no you dont have to take the sprocket off of the bike. Beat on the hub on the other end of the axle along with some heat and pentrating oil or the cold water trick it should come off. I took the rear axle out of my ATC 110 two weeks ago and the drum came off the axle very easily. are u sure someone didnt weld the drum on? lol j/k

saturnthegiant
03-15-2009, 06:47 PM
No, i don't think it's welded on!! :naughty: The brake pads don't seem to be sticking, i can see them inside and they are loose. I think it's just the first time anyone tried to take the hub and axle out in 25 years and its just stuck on there real good. I'm gonna try the heat and cold water method tonight, i may have a buddy come over to help me if he gets off work in time. I've been soaking it in PB blaster every day, maybe tonight i'll get lucky!

saturnthegiant
03-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's off!!!!!!!! I heated that sucker up cherry red, then splashed it with cold water, then about 15 licks with a rubber mallet and out slid the axle and the brake drum came off at the same time!!!! You guys are the greatest! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Will keep ya'll updated!

Edit: Well, one of the brake pad springs is broken, and the new pads the dude gave me are not the right size. But the old pads don't look like they're in bad shape, i guess the broken spring wasn't allowing them to work. Any way, i have front brakes, so on to changing out the axle bearings, i can do the brakes later, i guess, when i get new parts. Thanks so much fellas!