PDA

View Full Version : has anyone tool dipped a tecate intake?

200x Basket
03-12-2009, 11:10 PM
the intake on my tecate is cracked up like most of them. i bought some tool dip today and plan to try and coat it. i plan to clean and bead blast it before i coat it. has anyone tried this? did it work?

i also bought a kx rad valve. it is angled wrong but i hop to cut it off and have it welded were i want it. i hope it does not warp the reed area.

Hoosier_Daddy
03-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Yes, and once i dipped it, I actually put a second coat on. Works like a charm.

Tecate 50
03-13-2009, 12:01 AM
Been there and had somebody else do it for me......lol! They turn out next to brand new!

the tecate kid
03-13-2009, 06:29 AM
I've done it two ways. Once with they spray coating and once I used the dip, but brushed it on. The dip is way better. Its much thicker. Once it dried, it looked like a brand new part. Works perfect, and its been on for 2 years now.

ScottZJ
03-13-2009, 06:56 AM
Hey Chris, I got some yellow brand new in the can I will bring you if you want hehe. That sounds like a good idea, but I know with that stuff you have to be very patient when doing it.

Meat-BoX
03-13-2009, 07:17 AM
Ok it seems we all have the same problem with our Tecate Intakes. Mine was new less than 10 years ago and is now cracked.

What is this tool dip and where do you get it. Is there a better brand and way of doing it? Mine will be done soon before I get a nasty air leak. Looks like I need to do the head on her so I may as well get all the little things I see done and finished before the summer. Thx

ScottZJ
03-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Its called Plasti Dip by Performix and you can get it at most auto stores and maybe Walmarts. They have black, blue, red, yellow, white, and clear.

http://www.whitenoiseaudio.com/blog/uploaded_images/plastidip300-786251.jpg

nd4speed
03-13-2009, 08:49 AM
I used Rustoleum Grip & Guard. You could also probably get it at a Hardware store. More than one coat is recommended right in the instructions.

Bryan Raffa
03-13-2009, 08:52 AM
I used the rattle can stuff on a banshee 2 into 1 intake...worked good but it took many layers to get the diped thickness

Meat-BoX
03-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Do you dip it all in or just do the exterior. Would think the interior would get smaller and that wouldnt be good? Or does it not matter.

ScottZJ
03-13-2009, 10:09 AM
You can put masking tape over the carb hole and over lay it just a tad as that is where the carb mounts anyway. Then dip it in the solution. I used a plastic bowl to keep from ruining any dishes, as my wife would kill me HAHA.