PDA

View Full Version : In a bind!

rebel33382
03-11-2009, 03:38 PM
I am trying to put my aftermarket timing chain on my 85 250es big, it just wont go on, its seems like its a little to small, is there away to stretch it, or use the crank to bind it on. this is not fun

SWIGIN
03-11-2009, 03:42 PM
hang the new chain and the old chain on a nail or screw driver and see if the new one is shorter.

it should be a hair shorter since its new and unstreched. then try to throw the old one back in the motor just for the practice a few times.

some motors are fussy when it comes time to put the timing chain on.

rebel33382
03-11-2009, 03:56 PM
I really dont want to take the clutches and all if I dont have to, just very frustrated and looking for a trick or something to get it on, I can get about half the chain on the cam sprocket.

SWIGIN
03-11-2009, 04:02 PM
im not used to those motors but on a 350x i normally tighten the head down to compress the gaskets.

this helps alot.... and be sure you have the chain tightner out

DeePa
03-11-2009, 04:03 PM
did you take the adjuster out?

Macs
03-11-2009, 04:05 PM
You have to take the adjuster completly out. If you just loosen it it will still have tension on the chain.

rebel33382
03-11-2009, 04:17 PM
yes, adjuster is out, this is from a total top end rebuild,

Dirtcrasher
03-11-2009, 05:03 PM
If the adjuster is out, the chain is on the drive gear in the tranny below correctly then something odd is going on....

Does the sprocket bolt on to the cam? Because it is near impossible to just "roll it on" like a drive chain.

If the cam is still installed in the head, you have to unbolt that sprocket, slip on the chain on and then raise and bolt the sprocket onto the cam.

If the sprocket is welded to the chain, you may have to take the rocker box off, finagle the chain on the cam/sprocket assembly and then pop into the cam journals.

There is NOT much slack there bud!! Last thing you want to do is force it on....

Is the rocker box off or installed??

Louis Mielke
03-11-2009, 05:06 PM
The way i read things it almost sounds as if he's trying to roll the cam chain on to the mounted cam gear like you can do to a worn out unadjusted chain thats popped on your rear axle sprocket.

If this is the case, YOU CAN'T DO IT THAT WAY. You must either unbolt the cam gear, or wiggle the cam just so you can get the cam chain on then reseat the cam. Don't try to roll it on.

If that's not the case. Sorry for shouting. Continue on. Doing the job right is always better than use "a trick" to cut corners. Usually cheaper in the long run too.

HAHA. DC beat me to it.

rebel33382
03-11-2009, 05:23 PM
going to unbolt sprocket from cam and try it that way, thanks guys

rebel33382
03-11-2009, 05:45 PM
AWESOME, got it, timing marks loos perfect! thanks