PDA

View Full Version : Good (update: BAD!) news regarding the Dunlop kt576 250r front tire!!!

Dammit!
03-09-2009, 03:48 PM
EDIT: Bad news on page 2. Sorry to get your hopes up. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I just got a call from Phil Waters at Goodyear after he received the most recent e-mail I sent in. At this time it's very likely this tire will be put back in production. They did not realize the demand until the supply was cut off so now it's a matter of basically cutting through the red tape and getting production going again. They're made in Japan and he said it will likely take at least 90 days for them to get going again but they're on it. The matching rear tires will likely continue to be produced as well although he said they have plenty of those in stock anyway.

Phil seemed like a very cool guy and he gave me his e-mail address and his cell phone number. I will not post it here because there doesn't seem to be any need to bug the poor guy to death. I think he "gets it". He said he'll get in touch with me as things progress.

Thanks to everybody that sent in an e-mail. A little concentrated effort can go a long way. :D

When they come back, make sure you buy a couple. I know I'll be slowly stocking up on them while I can.

honda250sx
03-09-2009, 03:58 PM
EXCELLENTE!!!!

Good news. This was almost as bad as thinking the Cheng Shin C826 ice tires were no more. Not the case either. :w00t:

1BFC
03-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Nice work Bro! And good job to everyone that emailed and "did their part."

It's nice to have a good change of events every now and then :w00t:

:beer

chris200x
03-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Good! Now I got a reason to drink tonight! :w00t: :lol: I'm glad it worked out for you guys. Did someone send the top brass that ebay link? just curious..

Good for those ebay vultures too! :rolleyes: :D ...

Macs
03-09-2009, 04:21 PM
I bet whoever won that tire on ebay feels like an idiot

85200xrider
03-09-2009, 04:58 PM
haha i was thinkin the same thing barry..... looks like our emails paid off!!!!!

Dammit!
03-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Did someone send the top brass that ebay link? just curious..

I did. :D

I got the automated response from my first e-mail, I then responded to that asking for an e-mail address for someone with decision making authority, I got a response to that e-mail today simply asking what I needed help with. I responded to that one with this monster. :lol:

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll try not to let this get too long winded but please bare with me.

I was writing in to open a line of communication regarding a recently discontinued tire. The Dunlop kt576. This tire is/was made for the 1985-1986 Honda ATC 250R three wheeler but also fit several other models.

What I'm trying to do is bring it to the attention of someone at Dunlop/Goodyear that discontinuing this tire is a mistake. It is by far the most desired front tire option for all of the Honda sport trikes and one of only three available options in a knobby tire in that size (not to mention the best of those three options by a mile). The only other options are Kenda's Front Max and a knobby tire by Cheng Shin. Other than those, utility quad tires are all that's available and none of them work well for three wheelers.

I've spoken with many dealers. ALL of whom would order more of this model if it were made available again. One single tire sold on ebay just last night for, get this, $372! I'm not kidding! Here is the link to the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-86-HONDA-ATC-250R-NOS-FRONT-TIRE-200X-350X-NEW-OEM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1546Q7c66Q3a4 Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3 a1Q7c294Q3a200QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZite m290300387034QQitemZ290300387034QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ 5fPartsQ5fAccessories

(I hope that works, you might have to copy and paste it)

If this doesn't prove how in demand this tire is, how about any of the multitudes of forum threads on the internet from people searching for them? Here's just one.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=94760

There has to be a solution that works for everyone. A re-issue would be best but if that's not in the cards, would Dunlop be willing to sell the mold? I've spoken to a dealer that wants to buy it and have the tire made by another manufacturer. If that won't work, how about a one time group buy so only tires that are pre-sold get made? I'm sure I could arrange this to be done through a single dealer to make it simple for everyone. Like I said, there's a solution here where the customers get the product they need and your company makes money. That's what it's all about right?

If you could give me the name and mailing address for a person who has the ability to make a decision regarding this, I'd be happy to send my thoughts to him via regular US mail. Your company is in business to make money and there's absolutely a market for this tire.

Thank you once again for your time and please, do not just discount this message because it's a discontinued product. There have been similar situations where a discontinued tire has been re-issued due to popular demand and I think this case fits the profile.

Sincerely,

Doug Notter

P.S. I can also be reached by phone at ((edited)).

I got the call a couple hours after that.

We should do this more often. :lol: :lol:

ceaserthethird
03-09-2009, 07:22 PM
YESSSSSSS !

I'll be buying 3-5 front's A-SAP !

Dammit!
03-09-2009, 09:13 PM
How sure a thing is this? I'll wait to celebrate until I see them for sale again.

According to who I spoke with it sounded like a pretty sure thing. I wouldn't sell any extras you have or anything but I'm pretty optimistic at this point.

Buster Brown
03-10-2009, 04:55 AM
I just want to personally thank Dammit and everyone else who took the time to help make this a likely possibility! I am so happy! That is such great news! Lets keep our fingers crossed.:w00t: :beer :w00t: :beer

petesatc
03-10-2009, 05:20 AM
Nice Job buddy!!!!

Orangecnty250r
03-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Pretty amazing!!!!! Is HOOSIER next?? I'd even settle for an uncut version I can take to someone to cut a vintage tread pattern in.

ATV4life1
03-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Big thanks to Doug and everyone else who contributed to the thread about the KT576 tire and took the time to write Dunlop.

Well Done!!

tri-Z ripper
03-10-2009, 03:25 PM
sounds pretty sweet to me

KillerBox
03-11-2009, 03:33 PM
I sent my e-mail off for you all about 2 days ago. They responded today (03/11/09) with the following e-mail to me:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your Dunlop ATV tire
questions. Unfortunately, the Dunlop KT576 has been discontinued and is no
longer available. We're very sorry.

awittmeyer@dunloptire.com

Dirtcrasher
03-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Nice work guys!!

I just hope people don't Bittch out when there available again and piss them off...

Always seems like people want things but when it's time to get out the wallet it's like pulling teeth, without anesthesia......

Great group effort :D

JohnR.
03-11-2009, 05:23 PM
I sent my e-mail off for you all about 2 days ago. They responded today (03/11/09) with the following e-mail to me:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your Dunlop ATV tire
questions. Unfortunately, the Dunlop KT576 has been discontinued and is no
longer available. We're very sorry.

awittmeyer@dunloptire.com

That's the same generic response I got. Whoever A. Wittmeyer is, he or she is an idiot. We sent this person a message expressing our displeasure over a tire being discontinued and they reply with "the tire has been discontinued". :rolleyes:

I truly hope that they re-release them but I'm leaving my unused 576 on the sideline until I have one in my hands.

John

Dammit!
03-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Well Phil from Goodyear called me again today and apparently somebody in Japan (where the tires are made) has gotten rid of the mold or something. It can't be found which means the tire really is gone forever. :(

He told me about someone he knows that can possibly help us out by reproducing it. He's going to talk to that guy and if he can do it somebody will be calling me.

Louis Mielke
03-12-2009, 09:10 PM
What the heck?!?

Dirtcrasher
03-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Jesus Crisp, they ALREADY threw out the friggen mold??

I gotta say that it's all about the $$ and brand name loyalty doesn't mean crap... Apparently these tires do not sell well and they dumped them. Honestly, how many tires would we buy? My front tire lasted like 20 friggen years!! So, we go nuts and buy 100 when and if they make them again, and what about the next year....

Suks.............................................. ..........