PDA

View Full Version : Week intermittent spark 1984 Big Red

wilman
03-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I have a 1984 Honda Big Red (200es) that I have owned since 1985. My first 3 wheeler was a 110 that I bought new back in 1982 and I traded that off for the Big Red since I out grew the 110. Anyway on to my questin. I have been having a problem with it just dying on me and not wanting to start right away but it would start after a little bit. Now it will not start at all and has a very week and intermittent spark. I replaced the spark plug wire because it had a crack in it but that didn't help. I am thinking it is either the coil or the CDI box or maybe both? Is there any way to tell or should I just replace the coil and if that doesn't work than replace the CDI? Need to get it running as I miss being able to use it.

Thanks

Wil

chris200x
03-08-2009, 11:43 AM
The primary stator coil usually is the culprit on those honda 200cc motors (for weak spark)

They can be had fairly cheap on www.hyperparts.com.

You should be able to locate the problem fairly quickly with a multimeter.

Welcome to the forums!

dirtface
03-08-2009, 11:58 AM
For some reason the 1984 Big Reds are know for the CDI boxes to go bad. I have replaced three so far. My parts shop here by me keeps the on stock here, because the Jaffra's run them in the parades here in the summer and they go bad quite often.

wilman
03-08-2009, 01:22 PM
The primary stator coil usually is the culprit on those honda 200cc motors (for weak spark)

They can be had fairly cheap on www.hyperparts.com.

You should be able to locate the problem fairly quickly with a multimeter.

Welcome to the forums!

Ok, I have a multimeter, what am I checking where and how and what should the readings be?

Thanks

Wil

chris200x
03-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Ok, I have a multimeter, what am I checking where and how and what should the readings be?

Thanks

Wil

sorry bud. that I can't help you with. that info should be in the clymer's repair manual. Unless someone here knows it off hand...

Taiser
03-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Just unplug the wires near the stator, put the voltmeter on "ohm's" and read out the resistance. You should have 100-400 ohms on it. If it's ok, then check the primary coil.

There are two checks on the primary coil, the primary and second coil. All in the same unit. Check the ohms from the plug cap to to the mounting screw near where the cap wire comes out...should be 0.2 - 0.4 ohms, then check the secondary coil...it's on the other end from the mounting screw hole to the "tab" above it...should be 3-5 ohms. Wouldn't worry about the CDI if you have fire, it's working. Hope this helps!