PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys have any advice for easy out for a stripped screw?

Hoosier_Daddy
03-07-2009, 10:43 PM
I have a screw that someone attempted to use an easy out on and the screw head is basically scraped out smooth. I was thinking about drilling a very small hole into the screw shaft and using a small easy out on it.

Any other, better suggestions? You guys have done pretty much everything so I figured I'd ask first because there may be some better advice.

It's a small screw so it may be a little fragile.

kokmatt
03-07-2009, 10:47 PM
reverse drill bit some times works but if not easy out is only thing i know of. at least if the drill bit doesnt work the hole is already done for the easy out.

Erics350x
03-07-2009, 10:50 PM
tack weld a nut on it

200x Basket
03-07-2009, 11:01 PM
my best advice is to use a reverse drill bit just smaller then then screw. if it comes out great. if not get a heli coil or thread sert and tap it out.

if you break the ease out off in there you are screwed. the heli coil only takes a few minutes on a 6mm bolt.

cr480r
03-07-2009, 11:07 PM
tack weld a nut on it

Thats what I would do if its broken off.. If the head is still there file a slot in it and back it out with a screw driver

JohnR.
03-07-2009, 11:08 PM
I would say if you are cautious with an EZ out and apply some heat from either a propane or even better, a MAP gas torch you should be able to get it out. Reverse drill bits are great and make an awesome first method of attack since you'll have to drill a hole for the EZ out anyways but heating stuck bolts up is the only way to go. Like someone else said, be careful with that EZ out, it's gonna be ugly if you break it off in there. You won't be totally screwed but you'll probably have to weld a nut to the broken part to get it out at that point for sure.

EDIT: If the head is there then heat and a pair of channel locks or vice grips should do it.

John

Daddio
03-07-2009, 11:17 PM
I have had very good success by very carefully, with a mig welder, piling up very small spotwelds one on top of the other until there is enough material sticking out to get some vice grips onto. Then work it back and forth until it starts to move more freely. The heat from the welds will help free it up so don't wait to use the vice grips on it. If you break an easyout off in it ................. well it ain't very fun then.
I've even used this method to remove broken off easy outs and drillbits from broken off screws. If it doesn't work the first time don't give up.

TriMotoMan
03-07-2009, 11:37 PM
if there is a head grab it with a vice grip

Hoosier_Daddy
03-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Great advice guys I knew you wouldn't let me down. Well that said, you're not going to believe this. And you can add this to your list of "can try someday" if you wish. While I was waiting on responses for this thread, I went to the shop, sprayed it with a little PB Blaster, and decided i would try to take the cut off tool on my dremel, because the screw head had nothing left but a smooth crater, and see if I could gently cut into the screw enough to get a good sharp straight screw driver in there that would grab. It was just a "what the hell" idea. I'll tell you what, it worked! The screw backed right out for me! haha. There's another one we can add as a last ditch or maybe first attempt before taking a chance of breaking off an easy out.

Whatcha think about that? lol. It damn well worked like a charm.

By the way, i love the welding tips. Never thought about that before.

Yamaha_Rules69
03-08-2009, 12:11 AM
Order that grabbit kit off the tv. They say ANY screw or bolt. I dont know how good it works, but might be worth a try??