PDA

View Full Version : air cooled r swingarm bolts who needs one.

brapp
03-07-2009, 03:49 PM
ok guys i have abotu 40 feet of 17 mm hex stock and goign to chuck it up and turn out soem air cooled r swingarm bolts who is interested in some?

SYKO
03-07-2009, 03:55 PM
ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME no seriously I DO!! pm fool

Dirtcrasher
03-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Maybe it could save you a ton of time and machining cost if you were to drill/bore that hex stock ID to press fit onto a 14MM shaft and then weld it. I'd leave the pressed in long portion a few MM's short of the end of that hex stock so you could weld it up solid then grind it flat and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Then you could just cut to length and chuck up the 14MM shaft stock (whatever size it actually is) and thread the end of it and eliminate all that turning.

I imagine it would cut the cost and time down quite a bit. On a conventional lathe, that's quite a bit of turning. Of course plain steel wouldn't be too bad but SS would be sweet and the way I described might work out great....

IDK, maybe you have access to a really nice CNC machine which of course would make it a piece of cake. I'm just thinking of how I myself would think about attacking it.

Just sharing my thoughts :beer

brapp
03-07-2009, 06:36 PM
nahhhh we got a computerized cnc with bar feed so 20 foot stick of stock right in and walk away and they come back done my buddy daine is doign them fo rme at his work after work

brapp
03-07-2009, 06:42 PM
the guy has a smaller manual lathe and millign machne in his garage but he is takign it into work and they have 6 $300,000 cnc's and man can it knock out some numbers when set up right.

chris200x
03-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Maybe it could save you a ton of time and machining cost if you were to drill/bore that hex stock ID to press fit onto a 14MM shaft and then weld it. I'd leave the pressed in long portion a few MM's short of the end of that hex stock so you could weld it up solid then grind it flat and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Then you could just cut to length and chuck up the 14MM shaft stock (whatever size it actually is) and thread the end of it and eliminate all that turning.

I imagine it would cut the cost and time down quite a bit. On a conventional lathe, that's quite a bit of turning. Of course plain steel wouldn't be too bad but SS would be sweet and the way I described might work out great....

IDK, maybe you have access to a really nice CNC machine which of course would make it a piece of cake. I'm just thinking of how I myself would think about attacking it.

Just sharing my thoughts :beer

I'm pretty sure cory sprock all ready has these availbale in stainless. that'd be the way to go tho. No more rust!