PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!! 85 200x Top End Ticking

85200xrider
03-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Ok....heres the deal

I bought the bike about 2 months ago and everything was fine. It had a slight tick to it but it ran so i was fine with it

About 2 weeks ago...it started getting LOUD i could hear it over my DG when riding.

I read over the forums and found out that its most likely the valve clearance. I have my repair manual and it says to check the clearance i have to take the crankshaft hole cap and timing mark hole cap and get the "T" mark to show. I cant get the caps off to be able to do this...and i keep screwing up the slot because my screwdriver slips out.

The only idea that i had was to just comletely take off the stator cover and figure it out that way. I just changed my oil so i REALLY dont want to have to do that.

ANY ideas would help on how to get the caps off without having to drain the oil....AGAIN:confused:

chris200x
03-06-2009, 09:55 AM
In order to adjust the valves you have to get those covers off. only the caps gotta come off the stator cover to turn over the motor and to see the timining marks.

Oops, I misunderstood your post! A good way to get those caps off is warm the motor up a bit first.

85200xrider
03-06-2009, 10:01 AM
ill give that a try after my daughters nap...she doesnt like the sound of the trike that much lol

brapp
03-06-2009, 10:17 AM
check your cam chain tension is it mor eof a tic or a slaping tickign sound. and check your valves if you dont have feeler guages use a piece fo vinella folder or a sheet of paper as a guage.

85200xrider
03-06-2009, 10:21 AM
i checked the tensioner.... and the ticking didnt go away...and i know i have to check the valves i just cant get the caps off

tri-Z ripper
03-06-2009, 12:04 PM
curious to know the outcome of this myself mine does the same thing but needs a clutch so while im at it rebuild but would like to see what is causing it before i get in there!

Dirtcrasher
03-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Sharpen a center punch and tap a hole towards the outside of the cap. Now angle your punch and hit that same center hole in the LOOSENING direction.

A couple of very light taps and it will break free. If it slips and scrapes the aluminum, it's not biting in good enough and either reset it or sharpen it.

Nick_R_23
03-06-2009, 01:34 PM
About 2 weeks ago...it started getting LOUD i could hear it over my DG when riding.

Anyone else notice this??

Id say that if you can hear when riding with a DG, then its definately not your valves. I know those arent the quietest exhausts for these machines. :lol: Id say its more like something coming loose in your motor, like the clutch, flywheel, etc. Or it might be a cracked cylinder and half a piston in there like mine was!!

-Nick :TrikesOwn

Dirtcrasher
03-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Every single 83-85 200X I've heard can benefit from a new timing chain, the 2 guides and a valve adjustment. It gets allot quieter after that 125$ investment.....

85200xrider
03-06-2009, 02:20 PM
i wish it was that easy...the wifes getting pissed at how much im spendin on it already...i paid 650 for it and already have 300 in it just in tires...shes on the verge of making me sell if it keeps costing :(

chris200x
03-06-2009, 02:38 PM
i wish it was that easy...the wifes getting pissed at how much im spendin on it already...i paid 650 for it and already have 300 in it just in tires...shes on the verge of making me sell if it keeps costing :(

Don't panic dude. check the simple stuff first. adjust the valves to spec.

Tell her you'll never make your money back off it anyways....

got pics?

Louis Mielke
03-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Yeah dude. Owning a bike is expensive. If she's upset about a $1000 then just make sure you remind her about all the stupid little stuff she wastes money on all the time. Ask her how many pairs of shoes she has or whatever is her thing yah know? Ask her how much they all total up.

Tell her that this bike is way cheaper than a brand new $5-6K quad.

Not to mention...why is she the one that tells you what you are and arn't alowed to spend? Assuming you bring money into the house and all your other responsibilities are covered, your more than entitled to have something for yourself.

Lastly, if you can't/won't spend the money to do the repair right then sell the bike. If you can't afford to repair something right then you can't afford to own a bike.

Dirtcrasher
03-06-2009, 03:40 PM
^ YEAH!!

Just ask her how much it costs to bikini wax her precious Vajayjay!! :lol: J/K

85200xrider
03-06-2009, 03:55 PM
correct me if im wrong...i dont know too much about engines...but i finally got everything loosened thanks to dirtcrashers idea....

im just guessing this from looking at the repair manual

but the rocker arms is what the adjusting screws are attached to...correct?

the one on the front of the motor doesnt move but the one on the rear does....my basic understanding is that they are supposed to move?

how easy of a fix is this and what would it run me? i found a rocker arm cover assembly for 4.99 on ebay but it doesnt end for 19 hours so it probably wont stay that price...

what should i do?

Dirtcrasher
03-06-2009, 04:01 PM
^ At TDC on the compression stroke, each rocker arm should have a hair of play. Actually I think it's .003 cold....

Sounds like your either NOT at TDC or the exhaust valve is too tight. Even when you lock the nut down, it affects the adjustment and you have to try again. I had to bend a special wrench for those I think.....

Don't buy parts till you adjust them. If it's still noisy, THEN remove the rocker cover and inspect everything at which point you can find the issue and look for good used parts!

Again, allot of noise is usually the cam chain and guides......

85200xrider
03-06-2009, 04:05 PM
i recorded what it sounds like...sorry for how sh***y it is....it was taken on my phone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTrc-hMMjXU

chris200x
03-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Her Vajayjay... :rolleyes::drool: :lol:

I can't really tell from that vid. So I can't really help you there.. but I've had bikes that rattled worse than that.. :D

Remember you don't have to torque those caps back down real hard after your done. They crack pretty easy. Some anti sieze helps too.

85200xrider
03-09-2009, 09:42 AM
well yesterday i went riding with my brother on his 350x.....and compared to his...my ticking is quiet...he seems to think its just the timing chain.....

the only other thing is that my bike has no pep...i know his bike is bigger but i rode his and his throttle seems to respond a lot faster than mine does....mine kinda bogs down...the carb is clean and it has a new spark plug....he thinks its because i have a DG slide on and the carb might not have been jetted to work right with the muffler...could this be it?