PDA

View Full Version : Jumping off a truck bed?

Yamada
03-04-2009, 08:14 PM
What do you think about jumping off the bed of a fullsized pick-up with a YTM-225DX?
Do you think I'm gonna eat the handlebar, break the rear end or it will be a great jump? Anyone tried this?
I think that if I wheelie off the bed I'm gonna be okay. Should be alot quicker to unload the trike of the truck.

beets442
03-04-2009, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't do it. Make sure you film it if you do!!!

chris200x
03-04-2009, 08:27 PM
try it and let us know how that turns out. :rolleyes: make sure you get some vids... :D

Nick_R_23
03-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Ive tried it before. I cant say I would recommend it. :lol:

-Nick :TrikesOwn

Yamada
03-04-2009, 08:36 PM
You all want video but I have no way to put it on the web...
Thank you for the help Nick R 23 :lol:

Jared200x
03-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Wear a helmet!

wheelie king
03-04-2009, 08:50 PM
All BS aside, DON'T. :D

The Goat
03-04-2009, 09:02 PM
umm...why is it such a big deal to wheelie off of the back of a truck bed... if you're going fast enough so the grab bar doesn't smack the tail gate...why not?

unless you're truck bed is 6 feet off of the ground, I don't see how it could be that bad.

I did it with a 500 foreman out of the back of a lifted f250...my back hated me after, but that was all.

ATCeeya
03-04-2009, 09:04 PM
are you going to start loading the trike into the truck backwards from now on then if you plan to unload it this way? id say you could maybe stick it once or twice but eventually you will eat sh*t

Yamada
03-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Stock height Cheyenne 2500 4x4, 8 feet long bed.
Maybe I should try to jump 2 feet high, and if it is good try the truck...

JohnR.
03-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Its soooooo much easier loading the trike front first that it isn't worth the ease of just riding it out because its such a biotch to get it in the truck rear wheels first.

John

chris200x
03-04-2009, 09:22 PM
yeah! I made myself some ramps. 3 six foot long 2x6's....

but what fun is that right? :D

The Goat
03-04-2009, 09:24 PM
how is a trike difficult to load rear first?

back it up to the bed, hop in the back of the truck, pick up, done.

lol...maybe I'm missing something here.

or maybe you northern boys should eat more spinach.

Yamada
03-04-2009, 09:38 PM

Can't remember who it was on the forum, but someone had in his signature «Real men wear XXL» or something like this.

yamaha_ripper98
03-04-2009, 09:43 PM
better hope you get traction if it has a plastic bed liner i say you will nosedive

smvorndran
03-04-2009, 09:53 PM
I tried it one time in a stock painted bed, no liner. My tires didn't get traction, so I didn't get the speed I needed, and I biffed. It wasn't too bad, but I swore I'd never do that again. Don't try it.

smvorndran

The Goat
03-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Can't remember who it was on the forum, but someone had in his signature «Real men wear XXL» or something like this.

:lol: Idk about all that, but how much can that yammi possibly weigh?

or did yamaha do some freak thing where they made that trike weigh 450 pounds or so?

kokmatt
03-04-2009, 09:56 PM
yea better make sure that yamaha doesnt leak oil in the bed of the truck might lose some traction coming out. bout broke out my buddys rear window loading a dirt bike hit the oil couldnt slow down.

JohnR.
03-04-2009, 10:01 PM

How do you dead lift a trike into the back of a standard height full size 4x4 truck when the grab bar of the trike is a foot or two below the tailgate? Unless you have arms as long as an orangutan and no legs I don't see how you can reach it. Loading it front first is simple, move trike near back of truck, grab front fork on one side, lift wheel roll trike forward, set it on tailgate, go around back of trike, lift up from grab bar and roll it into truck bed. Without two people (one to grab each rear tire) I don't see any way of getting it in back tires first without a ramp or a hill of some sort.

John

Yamada
03-04-2009, 10:05 PM
:lol: Idk about all that, but how much can that yammi possibly weigh?

or did yamaha do some freak thing where they made that trike weigh 450 pounds or so?

YTM-225 Dry weight 318 lbs.
Yamada riding weight : 240 lbs
Should not be a problem loading the trike like you said.

yamaha_ripper98
03-04-2009, 10:13 PM
YTM-225 Dry weight 318 lbs.
Yamada riding weight : 240 lbs
Should not be a problem loading the trike like you said.

its easy i didi it when i had my warrior if i had to load it myself because if i did it front first the tires would hit the fender wells and i couldnt hold it up and get them over maybe age has a factor? im 19 my back is good for another 15+

The Goat
03-04-2009, 10:14 PM
I was actually thinking just kneel down...grab the grab bar with a hand, lift up until the tires are off the ground, then just stand up with it and pull it on the gate, hop out, grab the front, lift her on in. harder than going front first...YES...DEFINITELY.

But a good portion of weight is going to be transferred to the front wheel.

I don't ride my trikes...

I carry them.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/100_2944.jpg

saves tons on maintenance.

yamaha_ripper98
03-04-2009, 10:21 PM
lol nice hhhhmmmmmmm is that a retired police inteceptor???????? (spelling?)

The Goat
03-04-2009, 10:24 PM
you'd have to ask syko on that one. that's his car...that's when we were picking up bikes from him.

just realized that picture points out the whole hand thing I've been talking about...my hands cover up a 70 footpeg entirely... that should give you an idea of how retarded it looks when I'm firing a pistol. lol

yamada, I've changed my mind, I wouldn't jump your yammy, it's too nice...now, if you had some nice soft sand or mud, by all means, ramp that sucker.

braunz200x
03-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Unless you have arms as long as an orangutan and no legs I don't see how you can reach it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

beets442
03-04-2009, 11:49 PM
its easy i didi it when i had my warrior if i had to load it myself because if i did it front first the tires would hit the fender wells and i couldnt hold it up and get them over maybe age has a factor? im 19 my back is good for another 15+
I don't mean to preach. My back is F@#&*% UP. I WAS a strong Sum Biotch. 2 crushed disc's over time , has caught up with me. The PAIN is not worth it!!...........#1, take care of your back!

SWIGIN
03-04-2009, 11:57 PM
a buddy of mine use to ride off his lifted 4x4 truck back in the 80s on a new 85 250r.......till one day it boged and he went down HARD.

bones sticking out and mud packed in the wound......it was UGLY.

i have done it off my trailer but thats low, i will never forget what hapened to him.

seadoo650
03-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Does this thread really have a point? Just do it and show us some pics of your x-rays when done. Nuff said.

tri-Z ripper
03-05-2009, 12:14 AM
save your trike try it on a quad!

The Goat
03-05-2009, 12:17 AM
I don't mean to preach. My back is F@#&*% UP. I WAS a strong Sum Biotch. 2 crushed disc's over time , has caught up with me. The PAIN is not worth it!!...........#1, take care of your back!

yee, hence the reason I said reach down and grab it with one hand, pull it up using arm and shoulder, reposition, then it's an easy half range of motion squat.

ya can't be young an dumb forever.

SYKO
03-05-2009, 12:20 AM

or just become me... loading machines up is no problem... lOL ask billy who gets stuck on the trails I just pick him up with the quad and move it around.... lol... sometimes being a gorilla has its advantages!

The Goat
03-05-2009, 02:31 AM
Lol you did refuse to let me load the 350x when I got it from you.

My cousin dale likes to pick up his dads rhino for giggles... One person on the front and rear and we got it six inches off the ground... About the heaviest thing dned thing I've ever thought of lifting.

NINJA
03-05-2009, 03:22 AM
Lol you did refuse to let me load the 350x when I got it from you.

My cousin dale likes to pick up his dads rhino for giggles... One person on the front and rear and we got it six inches off the ground... About the heaviest thing dned thing I've ever thought of lifting.

I've been known to do the Rhino lift, until my employer saw it and told me Workmans Comp won't cover a dumb f*&$#@ move like that! LOL

Don't even try to ride that trike out the back of your truck, you're just asking for an unnecessary injury. I just about pulled my arms outta the sockets yesterday coming down off of a 3 foot ledge near Gemini bridges with a wolverine 450. I popped a wheelie and leaned back but that yammi came down with a good thud and I had my arms too straight. Goodtimes yesterday.

I remember my brother always loading his trikes into the back of his friends little 2wd Toyota by popping a wheelie and allowing his forward momentum to slide the back end over the dropped tailgate. He actually got pretty skilled with this until one day he tried it with his quadsport and took out the rear window and just about his front teeth. And yes, that tailgate looked like hell:lol:

88 Turbo Coupe
03-05-2009, 06:53 AM
What do you think about jumping off the bed of a fullsized pick-up with a YTM-225DX?
Do you think I'm gonna eat the handlebar, break the rear end or it will be a great jump? Anyone tried this?
I think that if I wheelie off the bed I'm gonna be okay. Should be alot quicker to unload the trike of the truck.

Been there, done that on a 250r, no big deal. Dont wheelie, hit the ground on all 3. Piece of cake. All depends on what type of rider you are. Some do things others can't. Depends on how "good" you are on 3 wheels.

85200xrider
03-05-2009, 08:37 AM
i used to do it with my old 250sx when i was like 12...i never had a problem with it

88 Turbo Coupe
03-05-2009, 08:50 AM
It's only like a 3-4 foot drop (oh boy). Not like your doin a canyon jump.

Kintore
03-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Ive jumped off the loading docks at work with my 250r, and they are a little higher than a truck bed. Plus they are slick worn down diamond plate and im hear to tell the tale. I say try and good luck!

NINJA
03-05-2009, 12:44 PM
So I actually got 2 thumbs down on my post because I discouraged somebody from doing something that might hurt them? WTF guys! I guess it's okay for everyone to encourage the guy to go out and do something that will prolly hurt him. If he had the "skill" to do this, he wouldn't have asked us if he should. Fine then, go ahead and give r nutz. Go ahead and give this post thumbs down too while your at it.

The Goat
03-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Don't worry ninja I got you back, voted right back up

88 Turbo Coupe
03-05-2009, 01:14 PM
If your qustioning a 3 foot drop from the back of a pickup then you shouldn't do it.
Like I said its up to your riding ability. Unless you are the kind of rider who likes to do different things and get better at what you do. If you lack the kahunas then stay on the ground. No problem, thumbs up!

Yamada
03-05-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm sure I'm gonna not hurt me if I try it, I was more thinking about damage to the machine.

The Goat
03-05-2009, 01:19 PM
This isn't really a kahuna issue... As it's more about damage to a fairly nice rare bike.

I'd still say don't do it. Park on an incline or in a ditch so you can just hop on out.

brapp
03-05-2009, 01:49 PM
make shure u ahve some sort fo traction mat down youll spin and nosedive of fthe gate lol trus tme i know.

factoryX
03-05-2009, 02:03 PM
lol don't on that bike! weak forks, you screw up and hit front wheel first you are going to bend them....

Saul
03-05-2009, 02:23 PM
http://www.pcmtl.com/public/misc/TTIWWOP.gif

Do it!!

Taiser
03-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Did it lots on my yz's, never tried on a trike. Don't think it would be bad on a z or r but on a 225? Last time I looked I think they only have 4" of travel on the rear shock so I think something would get hurt! :D

riverrat
03-05-2009, 04:19 PM

You ain't doin that on my truck. I don't even think you can reach down and grab the grab bar, without lying down. Stock 03 Silverado.

I wouldn't jump off the back. I've thought about enough though.

ATC-Eric
03-05-2009, 04:45 PM
I jumped the S out of a toyota bed.........

The Goat
03-05-2009, 06:06 PM
You ain't doin that on my truck. I don't even think you can reach down and grab the grab bar, without lying down. Stock 03 Silverado.

I wouldn't jump off the back. I've thought about enough though.

I hate to keep arguing this point, your bed isn't higher than 38 inches at the gate stock...that 225's grab bar will be about 24in off the ground...if you can't reach down 14 inches when kneeling, you sir must be an amputee. :lol:

I'd think a silverado's bed is about 32 inches or so at the tailgate.

I'm still maintaining that I hope he doesn't do this on a bike like that.

swigin... when you're buddy jumped, was it the pegs that broke his legs or what? seems like he would have been better off just taking the face plant.

aldochina
03-05-2009, 09:47 PM
heres another reason not to do it, I have a 250es that was running when i put it on the truck, after getting it home and pulling it off the back of the truck and letting it hit the ground it would not start after that, must have jarred somthing loose, to this day it still doesnt run, i havnt spent much time trying to figure it out though. Thats the problem with owning several trikes. Any suggestions as to were to begin.

The Goat
03-05-2009, 09:53 PM
trade it for my 200x?

1985BigRed250ES
03-05-2009, 11:58 PM
I have ramped my Honda Recon out of the bed of my 2007 Ford Ranger. It was not that bad. I had thoughts of doing it again, but never did. I just traded the Ranger in today on a brand new 2008 Chevy Colorado Crew. I dont think I will do any ramping out of the bed of this truck.

oOGoFastOo
03-06-2009, 01:49 AM
I pulled my Banshee out of the bed of my truck and it landed on one back wheel and bent the axle. I wouldn't do it, but my trucks tail gate is about chest level and I'm 6'3"

keister
03-06-2009, 11:59 AM
heres another reason not to do it, I have a 250es that was running when i put it on the truck, after getting it home and pulling it off the back of the truck and letting it hit the ground it would not start after that, must have jarred somthing loose, to this day it still doesnt run, i havnt spent much time trying to figure it out though. Thats the problem with owning several trikes. Any suggestions as to were to begin.

There are two electrical wire plugs under your foot peg. They are hooked to the "R" and "N" lights on your dash. I don't think the machine will start if the "N" wire comes loose. That is where I would start.

keister
03-06-2009, 12:02 PM
So I actually got 2 thumbs down on my post because I discouraged somebody from doing something that might hurt them? WTF guys! I guess it's okay for everyone to encourage the guy to go out and do something that will prolly hurt him. If he had the "skill" to do this, he wouldn't have asked us if he should. Fine then, go ahead and give r nutz. Go ahead and give this post thumbs down too while your at it.

Maybe you got the thumbs down for typing around the word filter in that post.

aldochina
03-06-2009, 12:05 PM
thanks keister Ill look in to that.