PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Yamaha YTM225DRN Resto

Mackee
03-04-2009, 11:11 AM
I decided to start a new thread with info and pics showing the restoration of my 225.

I have already started tearing her down so that I can send all the parts off to be powder coated, etc.

Today, I was lucky enough to purchase a brand new set of front and rear blue plastic that should arrive in 7-10 days. I will still need to find a good headlight plastic and set of tank plastic. I already have an old set but they just aren't in that great of shape.

I'll start posting some pics later today...Hopefully.

Kerick
03-04-2009, 04:21 PM
cool i love the 225's
i have one myself but w/o reverse keep us updated on your progress...

225DX DUDE
03-04-2009, 06:47 PM

Today, I was lucky enough to purchase a brand new set of front and rear blue plastic that should arrive in 7-10 days.

Hi, could you tell me where you bought your brand new set of blue fenders? Thanks

Good luck with your restore!

Mackee
03-05-2009, 12:19 AM
I bought them through a dealer in Ohio. I am on my blackjack and can't remember the exact name. I will get it for you tomorrow. These folks have a couple of pieces but, the ohio dealer had everything but the side pieces.

http://www.dgy.com

LonesomeTriZ
03-05-2009, 03:17 AM
Hey Mackee how for are you from Columbus?

Mackee
03-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Sorry, it has been a couple of days.

I didn't save the link to the dealer in Ohio and my credit union has changed its banking home page. I haven't had a chance to look up the dealer info yet but haven't forgotten. I will definitely get that info for you.

I am about 2 hours or so from Columbus. I go through there all the time with work. I have a pretty decent rear fender (one small piece missing but nothing major), gas tank, tank plastic and maybe some other plastic from (I believe) a YT175. If you would like to have it or know of someone who could use it I would be willing to give it to them or trade for some YTM225 parts. I can take some pics if you or they are interested.

Before I break her all the way down, I want to make sure everything is good to go and get her purrrrrrriing perfect.

Yesterday, I got the carb torn down and cleaned and will need a few parts to build her back. The float bowl gasket after 25 years was just a mess. Gotta order one of those and check to see if they make a rebuild kit for the 24 carb. Since I am in her, I should just go ahead and do it right. You wouldn't believe the gunk in that thing. I am surprised it ran.

Mackee
03-18-2009, 09:59 AM
225DX Dude, I got my new fenders in today. I bought them through Yamaha of Troy. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you

I will have to admit, the front fender is a slightly different shade of blue than the rear. Once on, you will never notice. I would assume this is due to having different suppliers for the parts.

My wheeler looks good with the new plastic.

225DX DUDE
03-18-2009, 10:03 AM
225DX Dude, I got my new fenders in today. I bought them through Yamaha of Troy. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you

I will have to admit, the front fender is a slightly different shade of blue than the rear. Once on, you will never notice. I would assume this is due to having different suppliers for the parts.

Its alright. Post up some pics of the 225 with the new plastics.

Mackee
03-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Will do! I will try and get it by the end of the weekend.

Mackee
03-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Been doing a lot of just getting her ready to run. So far, I have attacked and conquered the rear brakes, carb - DANG!, and some other issues. Just so I keep this thread moving along, I am attaching the same pics here as I did in the BRAKES thread...Gotta have em!

MonroeMike
03-30-2009, 11:20 PM
I just cleaned up those same parts on a YTM200.

Mackee
03-30-2009, 11:52 PM
Dang, MM! Those parts look like my eating utensils. How'd you get em that clean and shiny? Mine appear to be painted. Even though they are spotless, they still look like they are 25 years old. Thanks for the pics!

MonroeMike
03-31-2009, 12:04 AM
Bench and drill wire wheels, all different sizes. I get rid of whatever crude I can and then throw the parts in a bucket of evapo rust for at least a day. I used a real fine wire wheel on the aluminum one last time. I did the engine and rear hub too. The pics don't do them justice, they are really shiny. I painted the steel parts with Rustoleum clear.

Mackee
03-31-2009, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the info. You have any pics of your bikes? I am interested in seeing the engine.

I am gonna give this a try and see what happens.

MonroeMike
03-31-2009, 12:51 AM
I took all three of my YTM200's apart. Putting one together with all the best parts, so I have alot to choose from. I posted some pics of the hub and the engine somewhere in this topic...

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/search.php?searchid=809129

I wire wheeled the edges of the fins on the engine after I painted it, looks better now.

MonroeMike
03-31-2009, 11:37 PM

I would to save the old plastics and put it on, if I was riding in the woods for the day, put the new ones in the garage, safe and sound. Just a suggestion.

Mackee
04-01-2009, 12:54 AM
I dont really have any old plastic...Only the old front fender. It came without the rear fender My plan is to resto the tank plastic and use the new front fender and new rear fender. I would like to pick up an old set for the reason you just stated.

I need to shoot you a pic of the other plastic I have sitting around...It came with my 225 and is for another Yami, not sure if it is for a 175 or 200 or what. Anyway, if it will fit something you got, I'll give it to you. Even have a really good seat for ya!

Mackee
04-10-2009, 10:34 PM
She lives!! I put the rebuilt carb, new air box, and a fresh battery in this morning (2am) and she fired right up. Feels like a long time coming but she is running STRONG! Neighbors were pi$$ed this morning as me and buddy Stick were hauling trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro around the subdivision. This thing runs like a champ! I am stoked and plan to take her on her maiden voyage this weekend.