PDA

View Full Version : 85 and 86 tecate electrical help

mjquadracer
03-02-2009, 10:10 PM
restoring an 85 and 86 tecates. Need advice on electricals. The 85 has, I think a pvl ignition. Stator is fried, gallon of water in it. Should I try to fix the stator? or go with a ricky stator set up? even if I do that I still need to find a cdi box which is discontinued, I think. So does the pvl ignition use its own coil and cdi? Im confused. the 86 has a good flywheel and stator, I think. but no cdi. is that discontinued also? I tried bidding on one on e bay but lost and am pissed!

tecat-z
03-02-2009, 10:47 PM
cdi's turn up quite often on ebay. Try posting 'wanted' in classifieds, and use search.

DixiePlowboy
03-02-2009, 10:57 PM
The PVL doesn't use OEM coil or CDI.

scooterroo
03-04-2009, 07:38 AM
nope, the pvl is a total aftermarket electrical set-up. keep looking on ebay, and post some want ads in the classifieds section, you'll find one, keep the chin up.

dcreel
03-04-2009, 07:51 AM
I did a google search on motoplat ignitions which is in my 85 tecate. I heard motoplat was bought by pvl, I'm not sure if that is true or not. But there is quite a few companies in the us that rebuild the parts from the motoplat ignitions. Maybe they do the same for pvl ignitions.
Just a thought,

Doug