PDA

View Full Version : If you have no access to a sand blaster

Hoosier_Daddy
03-02-2009, 03:06 PM
How would be a way to strip and clean a frame to get it prepared for paint etc?

tanks350x
03-02-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm kinda in the same boat, I was told by the guy that painted my gas tank, to go down to my local paint supply store and get some airplane, or aircraft stripper?,, never heard of it, but who knows... He said it's some pretty powerfull stuff, and wear gloves when using it

cybrman
03-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Tal-strip is what I use, available at Discount Auto, or Auto Zone, etc...
After stripping the majority of paint I then use a wire wheel to finish up the process to bare metal.

chris200x
03-02-2009, 03:15 PM
You dont wanna go there guys trust me! (not on a frame!)

Powerwash it and scuff the paint. primer,, repaint.

Hoosier_Daddy
03-02-2009, 03:41 PM
You dont wanna go there guys trust me! (not on a frame!)

Powerwash it and scuff the paint. primer,, repaint.trying to prep for powder coat though

chris200x
03-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Itsa total PITA.. If your not powedercoating yourself the place you take it to should. Lookin at about 150-200 bucks for a frame completely blasted and coated. In my area anyways....

Danold
03-02-2009, 03:48 PM
I bought some stuff called Aircraft Remover from Autozone and it would take the paint off of anything. I had to use a wire brush with it on the powder coat to get it all off. I prefer the kind in the areosol can because it is makes less of a mess than the brush-on type.

edog
03-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Pre treat it with Westley White wall cleaner before you scrub it down.
Just get most of the rust and grease off with good old fashioned scrubbing.

Then sandbast away.

edog
03-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Pre treat it with Westley White wall cleaner before you scrub it down.
Just get most of the rust and grease off with good old fashioned scrubbing.

Then sandbast away.

opps, you could sand it by hand.

chris200x
03-02-2009, 05:02 PM
opps, you could sand it by hand.

That would be even worse than stripping it. :eek: too many nooks and crannies... you'd never take all the paint off without having it blasted. I tried and after about 3 days I gave up. :lol:

tecat-z
03-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Sandblasting is the only correct way! Look in the yellow pages for blasters in your area.

JohnR.
03-02-2009, 05:49 PM
+1 on the powder coat place being able to blast it. I did mine myself since I was fortunate enough to have a friend that had access to a big blasting cabinet but the place I sent the frame to could have done it too.

John

aldochina
03-02-2009, 06:38 PM
On my 200e i used a wire wheel on an angle grinder, and got every nook, lot of work though, I have since purchased a pressurized sand blaster from tractor supply. It was only 100 somthing bucks, and well worth it, you need a big compressor to run it though. I actually bought it to sandblast a woodstove, its great for large items like frames.

Dirtcrasher
03-02-2009, 07:04 PM
I HAVE access to 2 sandblaster but I still wouldn't do a frame myself. Just too much labor intensive work with the nooks and crannies and TIME IS MONEY!!

If you go to some local body shops or fabricators, you will find someone that knows somebody that can lead you in the right direction.

The one I found was so big that it sandblasted trailers for excavators. He told me 65$ an hour and said 1 hour was the minimum charge but he could probably do 2 frames in one hour.

There's allot of stuff we just need to bite the bullet and get out or wallet for guys, unless your just bored to death with tons of free time.

Do it once, do it RIGHT.............

The Goat
03-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Stealing my quote DC!

It's true though, once correctly is always cheaper...

dreadhed
03-02-2009, 11:21 PM
I know even when something comes to me blasted I still blast it again. I would hate to have a job fail cause someone missed some stuff. Without a blaster your going to have a really tough time. Your PCr should be able to blast it or take it to someone to blast if for him. Getting something blasted doesn't cost that much & only takes them a few minutes to do.