PDA

View Full Version : 1985 ATC 250sx

brntrbbr
03-01-2009, 09:41 PM
So it used to be the best machine I owned, untill it broke down and I never fixed it and took off to college. well i'm coming home for the summer and I would like to get it running again. Basically, the problem it had was when you would drive it for about 3 hours straight, it would quit running. you would then have to wait about 15 minutes and it would start up and go again. well as the years went by, the problem was the same, except it got to the point of drive it for 15 minutes, then it wont start for about 1/2 of an hour. well in the end, it wouldnt even start. I'm told it's probably an electrical problem, so i replaced (it's been awhile, i think it was) the solenoid. still didnt do anything. Someone mentioned that it could be the stator, and I have no clue where that is. i'm hoping someone here with more knowledge than me could shed some light on the problem, and hopefully give me some ideas on how to fix it.
THANKS!

Dirtcrasher
03-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Start off by finding out what is lacking....

Is it not getting spark at that point?

Or is it not getting fuel? It's one or the other and can be narrowed down from there :D

WELCOME TO 3WW :beer:

brntrbbr
03-01-2009, 11:08 PM
To be honest with you, i really don't know. All i know is that the quicker the engine would cool down after stalling, the quicker it would start back up. I never ran a diagnostic check on it when it would quit running, as i'd usually be miles down a trail... :(. I remember one time it quit beside a pond, so once the engine cooled down enough to avoid cracking the head, i just splashed water on it, and it started up as soon as it was nice and cool. I don't know, but that doesn't sound like a fuel problem. Are there any electrical components that would be affected by heat?

Edit: Just remembered it wasn't the solenoid I replaced, it was the ignition coil

Name Brand
03-02-2009, 05:57 AM
There are two power sources; the battery and the stator. Could it be a charging problem? I wonder if the machine isn't creating enough electricity to run itself or fully recharge the battery. If the machine is drawing it's electrical from the battery and the battery has slowly gotten weaker, that could be why it only runs for a shortening amount of time.

There's a way to test the output of the stator in the Clymer manual, isn't there? How old is the battery; how much fluid is still in it?

longbedGTs
03-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Have you checked the vent on the fuel cap to make sure its not plugged up?

brntrbbr
03-02-2009, 12:38 PM
There are two power sources; the battery and the stator. Could it be a charging problem? I wonder if the machine isn't creating enough electricity to run itself or fully recharge the battery. If the machine is drawing it's electrical from the battery and the battery has slowly gotten weaker, that could be why it only runs for a shortening amount of time.

There's a way to test the output of the stator in the Clymer manual, isn't there? How old is the battery; how much fluid is still in it?

The Batterry is new, and yes, I have checked the fuel tank. It's a custom-built tank, and I made sure it didn't vacum lock when I made it. I've been googling the stator alot, and I read a suggestion about removing the stator cover and spraying it with brake cleaner. Is that really a good idea, spraying electrical parts with a fuid? I don't have a Clymer manual for my exact model. All I have is a manual for my little 200 (Forget what year)...

smvorndran
03-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Sounds like an open winding in the stator or ignition coil. Replace them both, and you'll probably be set. Both can be found used on here for cheap. There's a ton of those engines around.

smvorndran

brntrbbr
03-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Both can be found used on here for cheap. There's a ton of those engines around.

smvorndran

So pricewise, what would I be looking at?

smvorndran
03-02-2009, 09:42 PM
$30-$40. Get that SX going again! I rarely ride mine, but enjoy it when I do.

smvorndran

brntrbbr
03-02-2009, 11:32 PM
$30-$40. Get that SX going again! I rarely ride mine, but enjoy it when I do.

smvorndran
REALLY? I'd pay that to get it running again. I guess the only thing that i'm wary about is dealing with someone I dont even know, and that I could wind up with a broken stator that doesnt even work.

brntrbbr
05-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Alright,

So I was home for the weekend and got the stator out. How can I check if it's functional? I brought it with me, so I have it here and I also have a multimeter, but i don't know what to look for?

Any Ideas?

I took a picture of the stator as it was sitting in the housing, so I can post that up later tonight. Mabe someone can point out something wrong by the pictures?

freestylejunki3
05-05-2009, 04:39 PM
i have an 87 250sx...mine did the same thing. it ended up being the cdi box. see if u can find one of an 85 and test it out on yours. if it still doesnt work than it probably isnt something electrical. how is your compression? if the rings are worn bad enough than when the motor is hot the sleeve will expand beyond what the rings can seal off thus making it not run when hot. also making it so it wont start until it is cooled i.e. the sleeve shrunk back to original size making it possible to get enough compression to start again. if the cdi doesnt fix it, test the compression once it is hot.

brntrbbr
05-05-2009, 07:33 PM
i have an 87 250sx...mine did the same thing. it ended up being the cdi box. see if u can find one of an 85 and test it out on yours. if it still doesnt work than it probably isnt something electrical. how is your compression? if the rings are worn bad enough than when the motor is hot the sleeve will expand beyond what the rings can seal off thus making it not run when hot. also making it so it wont start until it is cooled i.e. the sleeve shrunk back to original size making it possible to get enough compression to start again. if the cdi doesnt fix it, test the compression once it is hot.

Hmm, compression test. That's a very good idea. I'll have to try that in June when I'm back home. But untill then, this is what I have. How can I test if this is working properly?

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm103/FunkyChiken999/Stator.jpg

Dirtcrasher
05-05-2009, 10:22 PM
If your gonna keep the trike, download or spend the cash for a manual and troubleshooting will be chicken...... You've had 2 months, no??

Or HOPE that someone here posts up the wire points and specs.

I'm sure someone will give it up :lol: It's just a simple resistance check......

brntrbbr
05-06-2009, 10:21 AM
If your gonna keep the trike, download a manual and troubleshooting will be chicken......

Anyone have a Link?

Hope that someone here posts up the wire points and specs.
It's just a simple resistance check......

Please and Thanks!

braunz200x
05-06-2009, 01:03 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2rx9pb6.jpg

brntrbbr
05-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Oh, so I have to put it back on the trike to test it? Damn. Alright then. Thanks for the diagram : ).

Oya, and what oil do I put in it again?

brntrbbr
05-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Bump for oil :wondering

Does 10W40 sound good?

Name Brand
05-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Mines always been happy with 5W30. I tend to run that in my truck and other rigs so it's mostly convenience for me. I never got excited about synthetic; I change mine out often enough it would not make a difference.

MonroeMike
05-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Anyone have a Link?

Please and Thanks!

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=56218