PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki Klt 160 ????

CRAZY70MAN
02-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Seen a nice klt 160 for sale local?? Any input on these trikes??? What is the skinny on the cow trikes??? Little weary being a honda only guy but would buy if right...... any input...??????:beer

Derek
02-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Very very good machines I had a 1985 klt 110 and in my opinion they are way better than the Honda 110s. My buddy has the shaft drive klt 185 and he loves it.

ebecme01
02-28-2009, 11:36 PM
I have a KLT160 and I think its a very well designed trike. I would recommend picking one up if its complete.

Shawn72
03-01-2009, 03:15 AM
Seen a nice klt 160 for sale local?? Any input on these trikes??? What is the skinny on the cow trikes??? Little weary being a honda only guy but would buy if right...... any input...??????:beer

The US Army used KLT 160s back in the 80s. That speaks volumes for them.

Frankencelery
03-01-2009, 04:39 AM
I came close to buying one of those here locally a couple weeks ago, but my wife is losing her job and it wasn't a responsible thing to do. Sucks being a grownup, eh?

I think my KLT110 is an awesome trike. It has an amazing amount of power for a 110, and it looks like the KLT160 is based on the same frame. What are they asking?

Howdy
03-01-2009, 07:52 AM
If you buy it and need parts let me know. I have a bunch of parts for the 160 / 185 and will sell them cheap.
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=92230
Howdy

Vealmonkey
03-01-2009, 08:14 AM
The klt 110 and 160 trikes were pretty nice and very sturdy, light years ahead of the honda 90/110 stamped steel frames. Parts aren't too miserable to get at the dealers. I had a 110 and you could still pick up the nos steel tanks painted, but that was 4 or 5 years ago. You see nos parts for them on ebay all the time. The big weak point that I noticed seemed to be the shifter shaft. The one I had and the ones that I've worked on all had stripped shifter shafts. They are still available through the dealer. Just for longevity sake I put 2 tack welds on the inside of the shift lever where it couldn't be seen and I never had a problem. Overall a decent trike that you don't really often see. Plastics are a bit of a chore to get and no support from maier. But plastics are out there. They even use some honda parts.

thefox
03-01-2009, 09:30 AM
The klt 110 and 160 trikes were pretty nice and very sturdy, light years ahead of the honda 90/110 stamped steel frames. Parts aren't too miserable to get at the dealers. I had a 110 and you could still pick up the nos steel tanks painted, but that was 4 or 5 years ago. You see nos parts for them on ebay all the time. The big weak point that I noticed seemed to be the shifter shaft. The one I had and the ones that I've worked on all had stripped shifter shafts. They are still available through the dealer. Just for longevity sake I put 2 tack welds on the inside of the shift lever where it couldn't be seen and I never had a problem. Overall a decent trike that you don't really often see. Plastics are a bit of a chore to get and no support from maier. But plastics are out there. They even use some honda parts.

Well said!

I am also a fan. I started on the Kawi 110 and it is a good trike. They are a bit bigger of a frame size then the other small engine trikes and the engine makes good power. I went through a pair of shifters and shafts before seeing that Kawi put an extra weld on the sifter that needs to be ground off. The extra bit of weld prevents the metal from clamping on the shaft like it should when yoy tighten the bolt. After I ground down that weld I didn't have any problems.

oldtime3wheeler
03-01-2009, 09:34 AM
I had a 85 KLT110 growing up. Loved that little trike. Had front suspension and some decent looks. If I could find a clean one now for a good price I would buy it right up.

CRAZY70MAN
03-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks for all the help, I drug my feet and it is sold:( :( :( 500.00 new top end, real nice trike, man I !@#$ up there..... should have went with my gut, I read somewhere though that the rear axles were a pain in the butt? I will know in the future, thanks, gonna get another beer:beer :beer

ACCA
05-07-2016, 04:59 PM
I have a 160 for parts...no seat, tires iffy but the frame, forks, wheels, motor/recoil...shaft drive is all there.
Northern Michigan

awilliams99
10-16-2019, 10:57 AM
where can I find piston rings and gaskets for a Kawasaki KLT 160 cant find anywhere please

oldskool83
10-16-2019, 12:25 PM
ebay, kawasaki dealer, partzilla.com bike bandit.com....didnt look every HARD!