PDA

View Full Version : one tire shorter than the other - WTF?

pistonhead72
02-28-2009, 06:35 PM
I bought these tires mounted on wheels off the back of an '86 Honda Fourtrax 200SX that's being parted out. One tire is taller than the other! They are Cheng-Shin 22X11-8 C828's (similar to the Wooly Booger). The shorter tire was flat (valve stem leaking). In the attached pic, you can see that the left tire is a little bit taller. I even put 1 psi extra in the right tire (5 in the left, 6 in the right). Anyone ever have this problem before? Will I notice the difference? Could it have something to do with the shorter tire being flat for a long time? Thanks.

leevarnado
02-28-2009, 06:45 PM
had the same prbolem with a set of trail pro's.it because the tire was flat for a while.my tire looks shorter and wider.

pistonhead72
02-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Here's a few more pics of them. I paid $50 for them. The tire that wasn't flat does have a plug in it, but it doesn't leak. The wheels are a little rough and as I mentioned, the one that was flat needs a new valve stem. Can the stem be replaced without dismounting the tire? It's too bad that the tires aren't the same size, because there's very little wear on them. If it wasn't for that, I'd say I got them for a pretty good price.:( I'm thinking about mounting them on my original wheels. Any opinions?

honda 4h
02-28-2009, 07:16 PM
i had this problem with my 185. i found out one tire was a radial the other one regular. the Radial one was taler and narrow but they are both the same but the one that has radial on it under the name.

pistonhead72
02-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Did you guys have a problem riding your trikes with the different height tires?

BigRed_Ryno
02-28-2009, 07:31 PM
they dont like going in straight lines with odd sized tyres :o

Kerick
02-28-2009, 08:12 PM
i had that probem too it didnt really affect the riding for me just when u do wheelie it turns

Dirtcrasher
02-28-2009, 09:33 PM
IDK what your issue might be but.....

Even when tires are mounted, you have to strap them or the outside diameter and or circumference changes. It's rubber, it stretches....

Some guys put air to them until the bead seats and that can be 70PSI or much more sometimes.... If you look at the tire itself, it usually says on the side max seating pressure 30PSI or something like that.

A tube in one tire versus air pressure in the other won't result in the same outside diameter either...........

cr480r
02-28-2009, 09:50 PM
what he said^^^^.... I have had and seen several sets of tires do that... all you can really do is adjust the air pressures until they are similar in diameter or else replace them...

3wheelerlouie
02-28-2009, 09:58 PM
my 85R has the same issue , both tires brand spankin new and one is just a bit taller than the other one.. and yes it wants to go in the direction of the smaller one when going straight..

pistonhead72
03-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it! This may sound crazy, but I'm wondering: If the shorter tire was flat for a long time, maybe it needs some time to stretch out again to get to the same diameter. By the looks of the quad that they came off of, that tire may have been flat for a LONG time! I've been adding air to the tire to keep it inflated, to see what happens. I pumped it up to 12 psi, and it was definitely taller than the other tire. Just an idea.

cr480r
03-01-2009, 12:38 AM
I would inflate the big tire to 3 or 4psi and measure it with a soft tape or string and inflate the smaller one to the same circumference.. Its about all you can do.. I have found this problem on many sets of atv tires to some degree or another.. especially on tires with carlisle casings... using an air pressure guage to even up your tires is usually useless..

pistonhead72
03-01-2009, 12:44 AM
I would inflate the big tire to 3 or 4psi and measure it with a soft tape or string and inflate the smaller one to the same circumference.. Its about all you can do.. I have found this problem on many sets of atv tires to some degree or another.. especially on tires with carlisle casings... using an air pressure guage to even up your tires is usually useless..

Thanks my brotha!

Shawn72
03-01-2009, 03:07 AM
Drive full throttle for about 45 minutes and you should be good. Just kidding. I have never seen this before. I never thought same size tires could come so out of shape.

The Goat
03-01-2009, 03:40 AM
inflate both tires to 20 psi or so...place them in the sun all day...

deflate to proper psi...run em. should be close.