PDA

View Full Version : ok folks

rebel33382
02-26-2009, 08:22 PM
picked up a complete 85 250es big red yesterday for 200 bucks, top end is shot, both valves in piston, looking to rebuild it, whats the best place to get aftermarket parts, best I found is sledpartsguy on ebay, any other suggestions?
P.S. going to change timing chain also, can it be done without taking off the side cover???
thanks in advance!
Jay

cybrman
02-26-2009, 08:47 PM
I have bought stuff @ hyperparts.com before and from sledpartsguy on ebay. It looks to me like sledpartsguy has the best deal for all the parts your looking for.
Unfortunately there is no way to replace the timing chain without removing the clutches and oil pump, unless you are a magician.
Good luck, I'm doing the exact same thing...waiting on parts right now...piston, rings, timing chain, valves, gaskets.

Howdy
02-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Jay, If your interest I am sure I have some parts for you. I have a few parts motors with good heads, cams, ect. Might even have a good cylinder & Piston. Pm, me if your interested.

Howdy

rebel33382
02-26-2009, 10:02 PM
any hints on doing this?

Howdy
02-26-2009, 10:37 PM
any hints on doing this?

You do have to dig into the motor to change the timing chain. I would download a manual and read up on it before you tackle it.
Howdy

rebel33382
02-28-2009, 04:30 AM
I am nervous about taking the side cover off and finding metal, and worn out clutches, and who knows what else!

4cylinders
02-28-2009, 11:29 AM
hey, change chains with out removing the cover. use a bicycle chain breaker to break the chains. wire them together, and thread them through. you will have to turn the crankshaft as it is pulled through. don't drop it!! then assemble the new chain. TADA!

rdlsz24
02-28-2009, 12:23 PM
^^How do you make the cam chain 1 piece again? As far as I knew there aren't cam chains with master links.

Rob

cybrman
02-28-2009, 01:05 PM
hey, change chains with out removing the cover. use a bicycle chain breaker to break the chains. wire them together, and thread them through. you will have to turn the crankshaft as it is pulled through. don't drop it!! then assemble the new chain. TADA!

Have you ever done this?
This is certainly the way to do auto engines, but like Rob said they do not sell them with master links, although I imagine it could be accomplished. However, do you really want a master link running around your engine under that kinda strain? I would sleep easier knowing it won't break apart and destroy my motor.

rebel33382
02-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Just took the side case off, everything went smooth, my concern is the metal in the oil screen. WHat caused the timing chain to stretch, and jump and put the valves in the piston. I guess I have some uncertainty. ALSO, my parts bike, which I thought I could swap everything out with, had the same exact problem. is this normal for big red 250es's????? its just odd that I bought two bikes that have the same problem

4cylinders
03-01-2009, 01:24 PM
hey, they do make master links. I got my chains from K&L, not oem, not assembled. you install, and assemble. they sell the master links separate. I worked on a lot of bicycles too. newer bikes don't use master links in the chain, so you use a tool to repair them.
rebel, the transmission uses the same oil, thats why there's metal in there.

Macs
03-01-2009, 06:59 PM
hey, they do make master links. I got my chains from K&L, not oem, not assembled. you install, and assemble. they sell the master links separate. I worked on a lot of bicycles too. newer bikes don't use master links in the chain, so you use a tool to repair them.
rebel, the transmission uses the same oil, thats why there's metal in there.

Yes they do make them but i just get an uneasy feeling about a masterlink inside my engine.

Over time all chains stretch. This is a wear part just like rings that need to be replaced so often. Hyperparts is a good place to buy everything you need. They are a little high priced. I would try ebay first. What you cant find there get from hyper. I also like bike bandit. They seem to be able to get everything. But there shipping sucks.