PDA

View Full Version : yamaha moto 200 charging system

MN250R
02-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Hello,
I been chasing down the charging system on my 85 trimoto atv. All connections look good, i even replaced the recitifier, and a new battery. When i put my voltage tester on the battery it reads like 12.10. When i start it up the numbers dont change at all. When i turn on the headlight it drops to like 11.40. Shouldnt it be up at around 14.00 volts or so when its running? Everything else works great on the bike. Is there any other electrical part that could of failed im missing? is there a charging coil?

Thanks

MTS
02-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Dose the voltage come back up as the rpm's rise? the charging system wont charge at an idle on most systems, You can do a voltage output test on the coil', you will need the manual for the specific specs tho.

MN250R
02-24-2009, 09:31 AM
No, the volts remain the same even if i give it gas. If the coil was bad would that cause this problem? Wouldn't the machine not run if the coil was bad?

Thanks

MTS
02-24-2009, 04:36 PM
so you pretty much killing battery's ? i would have to look at a schematic of the whole wiring system to give you a competent answer, there's quite a few different systems that work in a few different ways, and no it would run, it would be a AC ign system, possibly a DC lighting ( Cant say without seeing a diagram) some systems use both ac and dc power for lights, along with separate and combined regulator/rectifier systems, your problem could be as simple as a roasted or grounded wire, or a bad electrical part, this is where a manual comes in handy

Erics350x
02-24-2009, 07:33 PM
sounds like the lighting/charging coil

thefox
02-24-2009, 08:56 PM
No, the volts remain the same even if i give it gas. If the coil was bad would that cause this problem? Wouldn't the machine not run if the coil was bad?

Thanks

There are separate coils for the charging system and the ignition system.