PDA

View Full Version : ((NEW)) Question for people running Westcoast swingarms

Dammit!
02-23-2009, 07:04 PM
I have a Westcoast for my R and noticed that the "slits" (for lack of a better term) for the rubber seals next to the pinch bolts for the carrier are smaller than a stock swingarm. Those seals a PITA to get in there. To the point that I'm wondering if Westcoast had their own seals or something. How have you guys addressed this? I could widen those slits with a grinder but I hate the thought of grinding away on this thing. It's immaculate.

The other option is to not run those seals at all. I noticed on the Quadracer Westcoasts that the carrier section is open so... wtf is the purpose of those seals on the Hondas? Seems like you don't really even need them.

Here's a pic of a quadracer westcoast. You can see the carrier section is completely open. I have seen a lot of aftermarket R swingers that are open like that also.

tecat-z
02-23-2009, 07:17 PM
I have a question about them too. It seems that they use their own pivot bearings. Oem size are different than the ones that came out of the Westcoast. This is what i found for a Tecate. They may of made many small changes where oem stuff is not compatible. But, i still love the Westcoasts!

atcman77
02-23-2009, 07:32 PM
The Westcoast swingarms weren't designed to run the OEM carrier seals. The reliefs or grooves were simply designed to act as pinch points and that is it. I see a lot of guys on here grinding them out to install those seals but I honestly wouldn't ruin the swinger for what really serves no purpose what so ever on a race bike...

KASEY
02-23-2009, 07:49 PM
hell i don't even run them in my OEM swingers let alone my westcoasts!!!

Dammit!
02-23-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm just picky about things like this. If Honda said there's supposed to be a seal or an o-ring somewhere, I put it there. Hard habit to break. I guess I'll just run it without the seals.

The only thing that really bothers me about this thing is the lack of brake line guide mounts. I'm going to see if I can rig something up to attach to the shock mount bolt. I'm sure leaving it loose won't hurt anything... it just bugs me. :lol:

And another thing, the so called adjustable shock mounting plates. There's no way to put the bolt through any of them except the top one so what's the point of that?

RoscoW
02-23-2009, 10:08 PM
And another thing, the so called adjustable shock mounting plates. There's no way to put the bolt through any of them except the top one so what's the point of that?

I wondered the same also?? I've got a +2 for my R and before I get it PC'd I think I'll add some mounts for the brake line holders.
What are you guys doing for a chain slider?? Stock?? TM Designs??, I need to do something for mine and haven't even looked at it yet.

Ross...

Dammit!
02-23-2009, 10:27 PM
The stock slider bolted right on with mine.

KASEY
02-23-2009, 11:40 PM
you can use any of the holes,,,,, you just have to know how ,,,,, do i need to show you? think about it,,, why would they built it that way if you can't use it the way it was designed?

Daddio
02-23-2009, 11:51 PM
I have a Westcoast for my R and noticed that the "slits" (for lack of a better term) for the rubber seals next to the pinch bolts for the carrier are smaller than a stock swingarm. Those seals a PITA to get in there. To the point that I'm wondering if Westcoast had their own seals or something. How have you guys addressed this? I could widen those slits with a grinder but I hate the thought of grinding away on this thing. It's immaculate.

The other option is to not run those seals at all. I noticed on the Quadracer Westcoasts that the carrier section is open so... wtf is the purpose of those seals on the Hondas? Seems like you don't really even need them.

Here's a pic of a quadracer westcoast. You can see the carrier section is completely open. I have seen a lot of aftermarket R swingers that are open like that also.

1upfront used 300ex seals on his durablue swinger. It was by no means easy to install them but I guess he was more stubborn than they were.

Dammit!
02-24-2009, 01:10 AM
you can use any of the holes,,,,, you just have to know how ,,,,, do i need to show you?

My brain is fried from this job. The only thing I can wrap my brain around right now is satellite tv problems. :lol:

I'm obviously missing something so go ahead. I don't see it. I can think of one possibility but I don't feel like going to the garage to see if it's the right way. My trikes are all obscured by, you guessed it, satellite tv crap! shens

Hopefully, HOPEFULLY I'll actually have a day off this Friday and maybe I'll have the energy to put the thing back together. Been saying that for a couple weeks now though. One can hope.

Buster Brown
02-24-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm just picky about things like this. If Honda said there's supposed to be a seal or an o-ring somewhere, I put it there. Hard habit to break. I guess I'll just run it without the seals.

The only thing that really bothers me about this thing is the lack of brake line guide mounts. I'm going to see if I can rig something up to attach to the shock mount bolt. I'm sure leaving it loose won't hurt anything... it just bugs me. :lol:

Hey, don't feel too bad about the shock mount. I almost posted the question a few weeks ago. I just finished powder coating my first Westcoast swinger, so I'm new to them as well. I was just to embarrassed to bring this dilemma up, knowing it must work somehow. Like Kasey said you really have to sit and stare at it a bit, to rap your head around this little puzzle (at least I did). I'm thinking maybe you should just have a little fun with this and yell uncle when or if you give up!:lol: :lol: :) It's really not that hard though. GOOD LUCK!! :beer

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/be909404.jpg

250rfan
02-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Try this -

Place the inserts in the swinger.

Choose which bolt hole you require.

Slide inserts out of swinger verticaly upwards.

Place bolt through chosen insert hole, then through the swinger, then linkage, then swinger, then apply nut and loosley tighten.

Slide assembly downwards into place, and fully tighten.

Never tried it but thats the only way i can see it working.:wondering

And Dammit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just take the grinder to the slats....................You'll sleep better at night.

Dammit!
02-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Try this -

Place the inserts in the swinger.

Choose which bolt hole you require.

Slide inserts out of swinger verticaly upwards.

Place bolt through chosen insert hole, then through the swinger, then linkage, then swinger, then apply nut and loosley tighten.

Slide assembly downwards into place, and fully tighten.

Never tried it but thats the only way i can see it working.:wondering

That's the one possibility I was thinking about but haven't gone out to see if it's right. Is that what you're talking about kasey?

I was planning on using the top mount anyway so I doubt it will even matter. :lol:

Edit: after looking at it today, that's the way it works. :lol:

Dammit!
02-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Ok, new question.

The rear brake caliper bolt, the one closest to the shock. It hits the swingarm. How do you install that? Please don't tell me you have to bolt the brake assembly together and install it whole. That will be just too stupid for me to handle and I'll end up going back to a stocker. I even tried an allen bolt and it still won't get in there. I could just be having another brain fart I guess. Been having them a lot lately. I think attic dust must kill brain cells or something.

Dirtcrasher
02-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Looks to me it has to be installed before you put the bracket stuff over the carrier with the clip. Can't you just pop the clip, slide it over, put the bolt in and slide it all back??

Dammit!
02-27-2009, 04:15 PM
I suppose I could but that's f'n gay. :lol:

This is supposed to be a racing product where you may need to make quick changes and repairs. If that's the only way to install the brake caliper it's a poorly thought out design.

250rfan
02-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Ok, new question.

The rear brake caliper bolt, the one closest to the shock. It hits the swingarm. How do you install that? Please don't tell me you have to bolt the brake assembly together and install it whole. That will be just too stupid for me to handle and I'll end up going back to a stocker. I even tried an allen bolt and it still won't get in there. I could just be having another brain fart I guess. Been having them a lot lately. I think attic dust must kill brain cells or something.

Rotate your bearing carrier.

Dammit!
02-27-2009, 04:17 PM
I got another question not specific to Westcoasts.

Someone told me when you extended a swingarm on a 250r that you have to extend them an odd number of inches to avoid using a half-link. Can anyone confirm that? I never liked those half-links.

Dammit!
02-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Rotate your bearing carrier.

Give this man a prize!

I knew I had to be missing something. Jesus man I don't know what's wrong with me lately... :banned:

250rfan
02-27-2009, 04:28 PM

Someone told me when you extended a swingarm on a 250r that you have to extend them an odd number of inches to avoid using a half-link. Can anyone confirm that? I never liked those half-links.

Not sure about 1/2 link Dammit,

i just switch between a 13 or a 14 tooth front sprocket.

Use the one which get the chain tension perfect.

250rfan
02-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Give this man a prize!

I knew I had to be missing something. Jesus man I don't know what's wrong with me lately... :banned:

I've been through it all before Dammit, i now have a permanent bald patch due to all the head scratching i've done......:)

Glad i could help.

:beer

atcman77
02-27-2009, 06:48 PM

That is correct Dammit... You will have to switch your front OR rear sprocket by one tooth or use a half link for the +2 Westcoast. I always switch to a 14 tooth front myself but that is up to you?