PDA

View Full Version : bike revving weird..

acidburn
02-23-2009, 02:13 PM
recently put a new timing chain on its timed perfect vavles are good carb is clean jets are fine, someone mentioned playing around with the fire timing that kind of helped last night but when u hold the throttle it revs cuts out revs cuts out etc.:drool:

Dirtcrasher
02-23-2009, 05:02 PM
All you did was a timing chain??

If you didn't mod anything else, the jetting should still be spot on (or at least where it was working before...)

Could you have an air leak at the intake manifold or where the carb meets it?? Are you using an airbox lid? if not, cover it with something and se if that affects it. Spray some ether around those intake areas while it's running and see if the idle changes. If so, you found an air leak.

What trike/motor is this? Pinger or thumper?? How did you play with fire timing? Is the cam timing spot on? could it be a tooth off one way or the other?

I've done a ton of jetting lately and when they dog right down as you blip the throttle it is a lean condition somewhere, somehow.

But, you need to think about how it ran before, what you changed and what possibly could be doing what it's doing now.

I forgot to say, warm it up, put in a new plug and do a plug chop if it will run that much with a load or just hold it in that position where it runs like crap and pull that plug and see what it says. Clean as a whistle or black with carbon??

beets442
02-23-2009, 05:06 PM
What engine? Does it idle fine? Does it pop when it cuts out?

acidburn
02-23-2009, 10:16 PM
its an 1981 atc200 timing is spot on it idles perfect just tends to rev weird.. it revs stops revs stops we messed around with the fire timing again and it made it go almost regular speed mabey 5mph off..

Dammit!
02-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Check the float level. If it's too low it will have that type of symptom when riding at speed. It would basically be running out of gas as the float bowl empties and it takes a second to fill up again. It will cut out more rapidly the faster you go. My Tri-Z was doing that when I got it. The guy that sold it to me thought it had an electrical problem.

acidburn
02-23-2009, 10:37 PM
its fine at speed but when it idles then u rev it does that..