PDA

View Full Version : 200s engine problems

Trimotomike
02-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Ok my cousin saved a 200s from going to the scrap man that had been sitting for years and years . Put a carb on it a new pull starter rope and it came to life and ran great (for about a month) . Until my cousin desides to do donuts on ashpalt . well after 30 or 40 secondes of spinning round in circles it abruptley shut off . From wide open to off just that fast ,took it apart and realized the cam bearing seized from overheating and that caused the timing chain to break . got a new (used cam ) in good shape and new chain and put it back together .

Now for some reason its really stiff fealing when you try to pull start it , even when the sparkplugs is out it feels as if it where still there. So i took the rectifier cover off and removed the cam chain from the sprocket and the tension was gone and the pull cord felt normal again . I checked the cam chain tension on it and seemed to be just right . im going crazy here . what could it be ?

BigRed_Ryno
02-21-2009, 04:29 PM
when the cams seize on these, the lug on the cam bushing tends to rip the aluminum of the head that it sits in.... i wonder if its had a partial seizure again? could be a duff oilpump, not feeding the head enough :(

Trimotomike
02-22-2009, 02:01 PM
no ideas ???? anyone ???

daniel_250r
02-22-2009, 02:57 PM
maybe you valves are a bit stiff causeing it to feel that way

Yamada
02-22-2009, 02:58 PM
The cam didn't seize because of overheating, the cause is a lack of oil to the cam bushing. You should inspect the oil pump.
Buy a service manual.

daniel_250r
02-22-2009, 03:01 PM
i have a 200 motor with bad head/ valve cover too, the seat for the cam is really rough, but when pulled it over it still felt normal

Trimotomike
02-23-2009, 08:30 AM
We put 2 different heads on this machine yesterday and it feels the same way with both . Stiff , i mean on my 200s if you take the sparkplug out and pull it over it spins over like crazy , My cousins feels almost the same with or with out the sparkplug and it dosent spin freely to say the least . I will check the oil pump out , but when we initialy removed the valve cover to se what happened there seemed to be plenty of oil on the cam, valvesprings and puddled there under the cam . this is crazy . about to start looking for another motor .:mad:

oscarmayer
02-23-2009, 11:28 AM
you probelby damaged the cyclinder. your going to have to tahe the top end appart and inspect everything.
the bad: worse case, you have to repalce thepiston, bore the jug, and replace and redo the valves and cam.
the good: total of about $300 in parts and your running like a new trike for another 20 years! (replace the oil pump while your at it)

freaksfix
02-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Im guessing something is hanging up in the jug, maybe rings? Or something in the bottom end is binding, bearings , clutch, connecting rod?

Trimotomike
02-23-2009, 01:08 PM
what seems to be odd is i can take the cam chain off and the motor pulls over fine . put it back on and its stiff as heck . thats with the head it had on it when it broke and with 2nd head that came off a runnning motor . i really apriciate the input so far ,thanks .

thefox
02-23-2009, 01:18 PM
When you put the top valve cover on the head make sure the right side cam bushing is in properly. There is a little locating pin in the bushing that needs to be in the locating hole (strait down). Maybe it is not in the hole making the cam pinch between the bushings.

I would also try adjusting the valves all the way loose.

oscarmayer
02-23-2009, 02:25 PM
^ anytime you replace the cam, valves always need to bne loose then you re-adjust them.

Good call Fox, i wasn thinking that, but foguired he's see it when he started taking things apart.

Erics350x
02-23-2009, 02:49 PM
When you put the top valve cover on the head make sure the right side cam bushing is in properly. There is a little locating pin in the bushing that needs to be in the locating hole (strait down). Maybe it is not in the hole making the cam pinch between the bushings.

I would also try adjusting the valves all the way loose.

I have this happen to me before^^

Trimotomike
02-23-2009, 07:55 PM
the cam bushing pin is sitting in the little hole . but i will try to loosen the valves all the way and see what happens .

oscarmayer
02-23-2009, 08:19 PM
if that don't work, something is mechanically wrong and it's time to take it apart.

in my sig there' a link to dl the factory repair manual.

Trimotomike
02-25-2009, 08:10 AM
alright started to take aprt the topend when i noticed that once i removed the rectifier housing the engine spun free and "normal" feeling . after a while of scratching my head and looking at it , i put the housing back on and realized that once the bolts for it were tight thats when it was stiff feeling . took it back apart and realized the back of the housing was pressing to tight on the cam sprocket kinda binding it up . had a extra housing so i decided to try grinding the back side where it was touching the cam . and now it feels normal . this seems very weird . any ideas on what the heck happened ???