PDA

View Full Version : Carb adjustments, something else?

Cottonwood
02-21-2009, 03:41 AM
Was riding tonight, having some problems. 185s, has a carb off a 200x. I have to really keep on the throttle or it dies, it wont idle, as soon as I go into N it dies. I have to just ride circles. Then when it dies, and I get it started again, the idle takes off like crazy the bike just goes for a while then after riding for a bit it slows down, but wont ever just idle. The idle screw is all the way in (the spring is as tight as it will go) and I've tried moving it in and out and nothing changes. I just cleaned the carb but am going to again tomorrow. How many turns out should the air mix screw be (the one pointing down on the bottom, I think its air...) It also runs good when I keep the RPMs up, it sounds like it bogs down really easy and dies if I don't, so I'm constantly shifting to keep it in the higher ranges of each gear. Ideas?

CRAZY70MAN
02-21-2009, 06:56 AM
I had a 1982 and it was jetted wrong and had your symptoms. Stock jet for 80 and 81 was #95 and #100 for the 1982. The 200 m had a #105. Try smaller jet and run needle clip on second groove. Initial pilot screw setting is 2 turns out. Might have some more crap in the carb to make it run as you said though? Good luck:lock: :lock: