PDA

View Full Version : 350x motor rebuild what to look for...

i58829
02-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Hey guys i was curious if there are any major things to watch out for when looking at a 350x with a rebuilt motor? He claims only 6 hours, and he has receipts. I also know the builder (he does great work) and plan to give him a call in the morning to rattle his brain.

Anyway are there certain issues that can come from a rebuild that i would be able to detect prior to purchase? I'm mainly thinking issues with the break in period. It's supposed to have a stage 2 cam, with a new piston, and all new bottom end bearings. I'd hate to buy a grenade with the pin laying in the guys driveway. I know the usual silicon issues and what not and i realize its impossible to know whats inside the motor. Any little info would be greatly appreciated. My last 350x purchase was a low hour original and the one before that was an all out nightmare once i got it home, TC...

threewheelin-feelin
02-19-2009, 10:39 PM
just listen to the motor good make sure you dont hear any wierd ticking noises and stuff like that...watch it for overheating and ride it easy for a while in less you know he has properly broke it in

The Goat
02-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Premium is the least you can run in it. Check to see what all was done to it.

Other than that, no wierd noises and you should be okay.

Oh yeah, ask if he checked the oil pump.

Ride it decently, just don't hit it too hard for too long.
Change your oil frequently at first and your oil filter, done.

i58829
02-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Good deal, i dont really ride my stuff hard anyway all of the people i ride with (mostly my younger cousins buddies) make fun of me because i own the 'fast' machines but i just putt around. I just tell them i have to go to work in the morning. Oh yeah and i only run 93 in the toys, it burns a lot cleaner and doesn't cough and sputter like the cheaper stuff.

I will ask the engine builder about the oil pump i didn't even think about that. Thanks again guys, i'll check this in the morning as well...