PDA

View Full Version : 185s chain help?

billattheplant
02-19-2009, 07:30 PM
After riding the honda 185s around for about 20 min, I heard a clicking noise start all of a sudden at high speed. I stopped, turned the trike off, and pushed it forward a little bit and the noise seemed to be a chain clicking noise. I took the chain covers off and can see a little piece at the lower section of the chain that is making the noise... looks like it's a guide or tensioner. It's a spring loaded tab that "hooks" over the side of the chain...

I'm wondering how this all of a sudden started making a racket and if this indicates something's worn out or I knocked something out of adjustment?

Thanks.

oscarmayer
02-19-2009, 08:46 PM
can you get a photo? sounds like the master link, but not certain if it's on the chain itself. the chain itse;f does not have a tensioneer that touches it, to adjsut it, you lossen the rear 4 bolts, and tighten the adjsuting tabs on the back to pull the rear closer to you, that tightens the chain. now you chain may be the wrong time, it could be a o-ringed one and if you don't have the correct sprockets sometimes they can damage the o-ringed chains. the factory chain was NOT oringed.

but again i'm taking a stab in the dark ehre since you have not provided any photos. can you get us some?

billattheplant
02-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Well, I went out to take some photos...while I was looking at it, I figured out what happened. I had seen the little clip/spring on the bikebandit diagram...which should be below (part number 8...it looks like a "C")... Anyway, what happened is the clip rotated around the top somehow and was AROUND the chain.... what are these springs supposed to do?

I rotated the spring back down and buttoned everything back up....took it for a ride.

http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/schematics/Honda/H00850057.gif

oscarmayer
02-19-2009, 10:47 PM
that holds on the chain guard. do you not have one? if not then that's what holds the 2 halves together. you can safley take them off if you do not have the chain totally inclosed.