PDA

View Full Version : so i just got my flywheel puller in

acidburn
02-19-2009, 06:18 PM
ok so i recently ordered a MP-19 flywheel puller for a 1981 atc200.
i took off my pullstart and looked inside only to see in the middle of the rotor? was a bolt threaded on the outside :(
so yeah did i get the rite puller?

Dirtcrasher
02-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Howdy knows these the best..... There were and are a few different pullers for the ATC200's. Some are a simple bolt that thread in and push the crank away and the flywheel off, Others thread into the flywheel and than a center bolt pushes the flywheel away from the crank. There may even be another style....

Great that your trying to get the right puller :beer: Most people just use screwdrivers and hammers and ruin everything in the process.

acidburn
02-19-2009, 06:28 PM
damn so even tho it says its for the atc200 its wrong because i need a hollowed out bolt with inside threads rite

rdlsz24
02-19-2009, 06:30 PM
We will need a pic to see which type of puller it needs. I pulled the flywheel on an 81 (I think) 200 and I was able to use an automotive puller where three little bolts thread into the flywheel and and then one big bolts pushes on the end of the crank, like on a snowmobile. My 200x was the type where I had to thread a 14mm bolt into the flywheel to push on the end of the crank. Not a puller at all, just a bolt.

Rob

rdlsz24
02-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Flywheel where an automotive puller can be used. You use the same bolt holes that hold on the recoil basket:
http://i21.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/32/c8/4e1c_1_sbl.JPG

Flywheel where a bolt can be used. My 200x was like this since it doesn't have pull start.
http://pics2.spoonfeeder.com/AieFTPFiles/AIEUser/B3VXEB8NQC4P/384WX3HPSRK5.JPG

Rob

acidburn
02-20-2009, 12:44 PM
rdlsz my flywheel looks like the first one.
before i go out buying more tools is this what i need.
http://www.tigertool.com/assets/images/products/pictures/10851.jpg
and i just buy some bigger bolts to go into my flywheel then screw the middle thing and it pulls it out correct?

acidburn
02-20-2009, 12:48 PM
since we got this thread going, once i got my flywheel off, then i gotta take my CDI off hope i dont run into some bs there, anyways once i see both sprockets for my timing chain pull out the old chain and fish up the new one, what is the correct way to make sure its perfectly timed. my friend was saying that one of the valves has to be open but he didnt state what one. anyways could somone try and go into detail. thanks

rdlsz24
02-20-2009, 01:56 PM
You would be better off with a harmonic balancer that pulls from 3 points. Here is the one I have:

http://www.farmandfleet.com/catalog/product.aspx?i=298942&h=080602002

Rob

night4creeper
02-20-2009, 09:34 PM
acidrain, do a search and download the factory service manual from one of the members here. it will answer your questions, plus it has some pics to help you out also. nothing better than factory instructions..

acidburn
02-20-2009, 09:47 PM
ok so i got my flywheel off woot! i used that harmonic puller and it didnt wanna pull it snapped one bolt and bent another but then i used some brains! and tapped it out with a hammer. anyways all the stuff near the pullstart is off till the point i see the cam chain. my only question now is how does the cdi come off? i took the metal off then i took the 2 star screws off inside and it still wont budge.. do i need to unscrew that middle bolt?

Cert88
02-20-2009, 09:58 PM
i wouldnt hit the flywheel with a hammer, if hit hard enough it can lose it's magnetism.

acidburn
02-20-2009, 10:00 PM
i hit the puller lightly and it popped off :)

Cert88
02-20-2009, 10:10 PM
.....my bad

Howdy
02-21-2009, 01:01 AM
I'm not sure what puller you got, but the correct puller will have fine threads on the outside of it, and it will have a bolt in the middle of it. The outer part of the puller has left hand threads, the center bolt has right hand threads. The puller screws into the flywheel ( remember left hand threads ). Once the puller is screwed in then hold it and turn the center bolt of the puller until it snug / tight. gently tap the puller with a hammer and the flywheel should pop.

ok so i got my flywheel off woot! i used that harmonic puller and it didnt wanna pull it snapped one bolt and bent another but then i used some brains! and tapped it out with a hammer. anyways all the stuff near the pullstart is off till the point i see the cam chain. my only question now is how does the cdi come off? i took the metal off then i took the 2 star screws off inside and it still wont budge.. do i need to unscrew that middle bolt?

Take the middle bolt off the advancer ( 10mm head ), then you will need to remove the larger plate that holds the electronic pick up coil ( 2 phillips screws ). Remove all those parts.
Then you have 2 bolts that hold the cover on, these are on out side and have a 8mm ( 5/16 ) head. Remove those bolts as well. Pop the cover / housing off and you should see the cam chain / sprocket.
Howdy