PDA

View Full Version : Crank bearing install *need directions*

Twilight
02-19-2009, 12:48 AM
Looking for instructions on how to install crank bearings and seals on a 85/86 250r WITHOUT splitting the cases.

Please?

Billy Golightly
02-19-2009, 01:12 AM
for all intents and purposes, impossible to main bearings without splitting the cases. Seals you can do, but bearings, its gonna have to come apart.

Twilight
02-19-2009, 03:47 AM
yet in my other thread atleast 2 people said its possible... where are they now?

2quicktecate
02-19-2009, 03:58 AM
bearings impossible. i have to do mine too. or i want to atleast.

Twilight
02-19-2009, 04:01 AM
have the tools to do it? haha i sure dont.

My left bearing is tight, not sure about right yet. I wonder if just doing the seals would correct the smoking problem...

2quicktecate
02-19-2009, 04:06 AM
yeah i have to borrow them. i took my motor apart to look for the rattle noise. my crank bearings are tight but sound rough to me.

Twilight
02-19-2009, 04:28 AM
wanna make a play date, LOL...god i need sleep

maggiesboy
02-19-2009, 04:43 AM
wanna make a play date, LOL...god i need sleep

sleep.... what is that? ... oh, the stuff my wife gets, thats right :D

I have never heard of crank bearings coming out without splitting cases...seals yes, bearings no.

you two missed a great ride at Walker Valley on Sunday:w00t:

Twilight
02-19-2009, 09:26 PM
okay if my bearings are tight, i should just install new seals right?

im not splitting the cases, i'll sell it before that

2quicktecate
02-19-2009, 09:42 PM
splitting the cases isn't too bad...

Twilight
02-19-2009, 09:50 PM
do you need the tool to split the cases? or no?

i mean... my bearings are tight and have no wobble. wouldnt new seals be enough if its the crankcase oil?

Billy Golightly
02-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Its better to do it with a tool but it can be done with out it. The 85/86 250R have some nice places casted into the cases that allow you to use screw drivers to break the seal WITHOUT getting into the seal surface. Look at the back motor mount, theres this little tab like thing you can put a piece in and pry against, and also another one behind where the kicker shaft rides thats more or less right underneath where the carb would normally sit.

Putting new seals in without splitting the cases isn't hard. getting the old ones out without scaring up the surface is a bit tricky though...

MTS
02-20-2009, 12:05 AM
=
Putting new seals in without splitting the cases isn't hard. getting the old ones out without scaring up the surface is a bit tricky though...

Slide hammer with a deck screw works good, fer gettin em out:w00t:

Twilight
02-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Slide hammer with a deck screw works good, fer gettin em out:w00t:

care to explain?

Dirtcrasher
02-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Why not pull the top end off and ship the lower end off to someone who isn't afraid to do the work for you..........

Honestly, you'll be lucky to get the seals in there correctly. It isn't hard, but it isn't easy either.

Maybe it's a money thing for you, but no one's gonna tell me that motor won't benefit from new crank bearings.

Twilight
02-20-2009, 04:52 PM
i have the bearings in my hand, all the gaskets, o rings, seals. If the cases are going to have to be split, then im not doing it or paying a shop 350.00+ labor to do it.

bke is going on craigslist if the seals dont do the trick. i set a limit for how much i put into a bike, and if i go over that limit or have to. then it goes out the door. just the way i am

Dirtcrasher
02-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Well, I'm not sure what you want then....

I would buy the machine I want and bring it up to snuff, not a full restore but get it reliable.

For the price you paid, I'd think that you'd want to put money into it and get it running nice.

Whats the point of buying things you may or may not even want and then putting a cap on them?

There are plenty of people that would split that case and put the bearings in for a flat rate of 150$. Being just a bottom end, it's another 30$ to ship it.....

Is THAT entirely unreasonable??

Twilight
02-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Well nobody has chimed in, so I guess it is. YOU said why not send it to someone that wasnt afraid. Im not afraid. I just set limits onto what im going to do. Post office (USPS) said 55.00 to ship into the lower 48 states. Now the only one I have had actually say they would do it wanted 300 to do it. Ship back and forth is 110.00 + 300 + 35.00 for gaskets + 50 for the bike and 30 for the lil things it was missing. I put a 500.00 cap on any bike. That would push me over.

I dunno if I wanted it, I liked the ride, but if its going over my limit then **** it. Something else will come along.

Bike is going on craigslist since the seals didnt work to clear up the problem. 500.00 picked up tonight.

Dirtcrasher
02-20-2009, 10:54 PM
You know what kid, you helped me in the past and I'll say THANK YOU again....

But, you seem to have a couple screws loose and not on that 250R.

You paid next to NOTHING for it, you don't seem to see the value in it and you'd rather just dump it than if someone holds your hand and tells you how to fix it.

Ya know how many people would be ecstatic to have a decent 250R for 1000$ invested??

I've seen you go thru numerous bikes now and never completing one. IMHO this is the best machine you could find but let it go, I'm sure another member will just love it.

At least you could offer it here first.......

SOME OF YOU MO FO'S JUST GIVE UP WAY TOO QUICK LIKE WHINEY LITTLE BABIES.

Twilight
02-20-2009, 11:03 PM
And to be honest with you I loved every bike I had. My 200x, WAS complete. I got running fine and I had fun with it. But college costs made me sell. I sold it to a member here for a good price and just 2 sundays ago I got to see and ride it again. Put 550.00 into it, sold it for 500.

My 200e runs great, its my camp machine. The 350x project is indeed a slow one. But the engine is sound and once I get a front fender for less than 30.00 it will be complete. Cost into it is 207.00

My 250sx is runnin great now. No problems at all and will be ridden again this sunday. Its 99% complete. Just needs tools in the tool box. Cost into it is 410.00

I ride my Pilot, CR250, Odyssey and my friends 400ex more than any of the three wheelers. Most trails that I can actually let loose on are 3-5 hours away.

You can call me a whiner all you want. But I see it from a price stand point. If I am going to spend over 500.00 on it just to get it going right, then its not worth it to me.

Its the way I am

Twilight
02-21-2009, 01:25 AM
DC, when did you hold my hand? You have just complained about me complaining. I have asked you questions only to be treated like a stupid ass, or not responded to at all.

Oh well. Im just a KID right? Well, this kid sets guidelines and limitations for everything he does. In so, he has a house at the age of 21, has 3 vehicles, good paying job, and am a supervisor.

Its odd that in the Pilot-Odyssey/Mini buggy sites I post on. Everyone helps and offers to help. But I guess three wheeler owners hold a grudge.

Thanks DC, like a kid im going to leave this place... since im JUST A KID. And know nothing but how to trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro and whine.

You've taught me lots. Thanks

Dirtcrasher
02-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Leaving 3WW, that fixes everything :lol:

From an outsiders point of view, I see you buying numerous machines with simple problems and giving up too easy.

And half the time, based on your questions - YOU REFUSE TO DOWNLOAD A FREE SERVICE MANUAL.

More than half your questions would be answered there.....

You claimed to have a manual for the 250R in an earlier thread, now you asked how to change main bearings WITHOUT splitting the case.

Am I the only one that makes no sense to??

It's just merely disappointing to me - here you have what is a "dream trike" to 75% of our members and you want to half ass fix it or just get rid of it. I'd DIE to be the guy to pick it up for 500$ from you and restore it.

But no offense, you have no buisness splitting a case and you seem to recognize that which is a hell of a step above plenty of other people.

I never saw a thread that said "Would anyone be willing to change my bearings reasonably??"

Lets see, DEEPA got one done for under 100$ and I did his last one for free. So, the guys are out there that will help you. Just because they didn't reply in your "need directions" thread doesn't mean they aren't there to help.

There are just things that cannot be thoroughly gone over in a post Twilight......

88 Turbo Coupe
02-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Just buy a good engine or bottom end. Good deals cheap somtimes.
just keep looking. BTW Let me know how to replace the mains without splitting the cases when you find out.

Brad200X
02-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Well it'll make for an easy project for the next guy. Those are the best ones to buy, where they buy all the parts and then give up... Seriously though, if you just bit the bullet and did it yourself, you could sell it and get more money for it, than selling it in its current state. If I wasn't halfway across the country, I would buy it.

Twilight
02-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Leaving 3WW, that fixes everything :lol:

Yup, sure does huh. It fixes me having to deal with hostility. It fixes you having to complain about me.

From an outsiders point of view, I see you buying numerous machines with simple problems and giving up too easy.

Shouldnt have jumped to conclusions

And half the time, based on your questions - YOU REFUSE TO DOWNLOAD A FREE SERVICE MANUAL.

I have all the manuals. But instead of going home, if im on my phone. I post a thread. MY BAD, sorry I dont carry them with me

More than half your questions would be answered there.....

maybe, but then again, things can be done without the manual and in different ways, thats when I like to hear opinions and views

You claimed to have a manual for the 250R in an earlier thread, now you asked how to change main bearings WITHOUT splitting the case.

member said it could be done carefully without splitting the case, my bad for trying to see what they meant

Am I the only one that makes no sense to??

It's just merely disappointing to me - here you have what is a "dream trike" to 75% of our members and you want to half ass fix it or just get rid of it. I'd DIE to be the guy to pick it up for 500$ from you and restore it.

DC, you would be surprised on my engine skills and ability to keep them running. But then again, YOU jumped to conclusions and built your opinion off that

But no offense, you have no buisness splitting a case and you seem to recognize that which is a hell of a step above plenty of other people.

I split my Pilot's case and FL350's case and trust me, its 10X more crap in those then that engine. Both my pilot and 350 run fine with no issues whatsoever. i would have done it myself, but in all honesty... it takes HOURS to get to places to ride these without hitting ruts and trenches. I have the 350x for dunes and 250sx for trails... no need for a 250r

I never saw a thread that said "Would anyone be willing to change my bearings reasonably??"

I PM'ed a few members I trusted, only one got back to me and told me 300.00, I said no. I sold it cheap so someone could get a chance at it. I figured my time and money into it was 400-500, so i sold it for that

Lets see, DEEPA got one done for under 100$ and I did his last one for free. So, the guys are out there that will help you. Just because they didn't reply in your "need directions" thread doesn't mean they aren't there to help.

You never offered to do mine, guess im not special enough being just a kid. Also with more than 100 views, someone could have said something

There are just things that cannot be thoroughly gone over in a post Twilight......[/QUOTE]

Indeed, so WHY jump to conclusions in every thread i make. Maybe asking questions would have not created you being a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro towards me, and thinking im some sort of idiot? But oh well. I just thought I would address your long and thoughtful post.

Dirtcrasher
02-21-2009, 04:02 PM
^ Sounds like you can split a case just fine?? If you have these "engine skills" then dive in!!

Have at it, the 250R is one of the most simple engines out there.....

250X basket (I believe) did a complete teardown on .ORG with pictures of your same engine.

I didn't "offer" to do it for you because your completely across the US from me and someone closer to you could do just fine. Then again, you said you know how to do it yourself, didn't you??

What is it, can you, can't you, don't you want to?? You have all the parts right? Labor = FREE, Parts = 100$ maybe?? Will that bust your cap??

That 250R was a steal of all steals and I'd love to have the chance to fix it. A bearing here, seal there and a couple hundred bucks and you'll have yourself one of the greatest ATC's ever built.

If I offend you, just ignore me, I ignore people all the time. I'm no expert, I'm no genius but I TRY before I throw in the towel so quickly....

I'm no different than any of you guys; I STILL do not have my 86 200X jetted correctly. Do I post about it every day? Do I beg people for a quick fix?

Nope, I just keep trying new things and I won't give up and I'd NEVER SELL IT because I FAILED. I won't allow myself to fail and breaking parts, blowing things up are all part of the learning process we all go through....

I don't want you to sell that 250R, I don't want to see you give up. I'd like to see you take that manual and do it yourself and ask questions along the way.

What are you gonna learn by selling it? We ALL know that even as a roller that trike is well worth the 500$ your so called "cap" is at.

A 500$ liquid cooled complete 250R < please read that again for your own sake.

I'm brutally honest Twilight, I'm not gonna be the clown that told you "you need a CDI or a stator" like in your other thread when it wouldn't run. Is that what you want for responses? Dimwitted useless advice that costs you MORE money??

I guess it's my way of "TOUGH LOVE", just like my father taught me.

I call people "kid" all the time, it wasn't meant to insult or belittle you.

EDIT - I didn't notice where you stated above you have "no need for a 250R" Well, now THAT makes sense and changes some things. I was under the impression you were psyched to have this machine for such a great deal and wanted to get it running well, maybe even learn something along the way.....

If I had something I didn't even want, where would my motivation be? For that matter, I wouldn't have even bought it myself except to flip it for a profit. In this case, I'd say you could be 600$ deep into it and gain a few hundred bucks when selling it.

2quicktecate
02-21-2009, 08:10 PM
i'm doing my crank bearings and seals myself, come over and i'll do yours too

2quicktecate
02-21-2009, 08:21 PM
hey twilight you'll find hostility or just people that don't have the same oppinions as you on any message board. thats the way it is. i'm going to be tearing into my r motor as soon as my bearings arrive and we could do them together, also i have lots of close friends who work at bike shops incase i run into any problems. i also think that you got a smoking deal on your trike and putting a couple humdred into it will be well worth it. i love my r now that i own one, used to be kawasaki all the way but the r is different to ride, funner on jumps and in the sand. the tecate is a monster on hills and trails, so now i got the best of both worlds...lol

2quicktecate
02-21-2009, 10:48 PM
where you at bro