PDA

View Full Version : UhOh! I think my headgasket blew!!(PICS INCLUDED)

225dxyamaha
02-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Well, it started leaking in the fall but since i only get to ride it every weekend(cottage) it only really caught my eye this weekend. Over the past few weekends i have noticed my lower head getting a little wet(WITH OIL OF COURSE!). I ignored it thinking it as nothing but this weekend it started dripping oil slowly onto the starter motor and actually burning off the head. Its a yamaha 225DX and i was just wondering is this actually the headgasket:wondering ? Is it a easy job? Since my motor knocks a little should i just invest in a new (used) motor? What's the expected time for a job like this?

Pics:(sorry for the crappy focus:( )

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp16/grandamgt3400/DSCF4719.jpg

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp16/grandamgt3400/DSCF4716.jpg

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp16/grandamgt3400/DSCF4717.jpg

225dxyamaha
02-17-2009, 09:31 PM
WTF:twisted: anyone else notice my carburetor looks a little damp?

Dirtcrasher
02-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Nope, it's NOT easy if you have to ask :D.....

Headgaskets seal both oil, compression and sometimes water. Yours is obviously leaking oil. Is it also leaking compression and losing power??

A compression tester would tell you that but regardless, it has to be fixed.

It's not hard but and can be done decent but to do it right and get it done correctly will take a bit of time and a service manual - or you'll screw it up like I did when I was 16 years old :D I bent my valves too because I was a friggen MORON!!

225dxyamaha
02-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the response. No loss in power and mine is air cooled not liquid. I will for sure test the compression because i want to make sure this is the problem. I think ill just let it leak due to the fact i do not feel like spending to much $$$ on it. Now for the hate comments for saying that! and i guess it is the head gasket's for sure?

DeePa
02-18-2009, 10:01 AM
let it leak haha, as long as oil isnt pouring out of it and it just appears "wet" i wouldnt have any probs running it. My 200s does the same thing, but ill fix it right when that motor comes out. It runs too good to mess with

y2kane
02-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Same with my 185 motor. runs to darn good to tear it apart but it has a leak just like that. My trikes not a show pieces, They are daily beaters. If I ever build a garage I will tear them all down one by one and rebuild them. Until then I am going to ride the crap out of them. ;)

ATCeeya
02-18-2009, 10:32 AM
trying to wiggle the motor out of my 225dx was a PITA. It was as if it wasnt meant to happen. And it didnt. I just turned it sideways so i could drill and tap an exhaust bolt that broke off. When bolted in the frame was in the way and couldnt drill it straight. And putting it all backtogether, hooking up swingarm and shaft drive and all that was equally not as fun.

outtaline
02-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Mine leaks worse than that and I am a factory certified tec for Ducati and BMW. Keep oil in it and ride it till the wheels fall off then put it back together and do it again.:TrikesOwn

Frankencelery
02-18-2009, 11:48 AM
My 200s leaks exactly the same way, and runs great. Like everyone else here said, I have no plans to rebuild it until it quits. But you said it was actually dripping, which might be a bit too much.

tri-Z ripper
02-18-2009, 12:02 PM
MY 125M does the same thing keep an eye on the oil! and fix it before you blow it up!