PDA

View Full Version : Honda Service tools

pcdailey
02-17-2009, 12:25 PM
I just went to the honda dealer with the differential from my 250es, I need the pinion gear pulled and new bearings installed. They wouldn't touch it. They said it was too old and they would order me the tools if I wanted them to. Can someone let me know the best place to buy the lock nut wrench, the attachment to it and the shaft puller to pull the gear. It needs to be rebuilt and I'd like to do it myself.

Thanks

DeePa
02-17-2009, 12:44 PM
ask them for the part numbers and prices then compare them with servicehonda.com 's prices

smvorndran
02-17-2009, 12:47 PM
I'd find a new dealer. They should service anything they sell.

smvorndran

thefox
02-17-2009, 01:11 PM
My dealer wasn't much more help so I made my one. Check this thread for a few different options.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=92488&page=4

pcdailey
02-17-2009, 02:18 PM
thanks guys, that was a GREAT link. I just picked up the 250es and decided to rebuild it, I've always wanted one since I was a kid and found one on Craigslist a couple of miles from me. A REAL POS. I couldn't believe my eyes when I pulled the diff and saw what was inside, it was horrible! The thing still drove like nothing was wrong?!?! It looks like it had the original oil from 85, no joke. I'll weld up a nut and back out the lock nut. Again thanks for the link, it'll come in handy.

The Goat
02-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Working on these bikes is a liability for dealers.

When yu touch something 25 years old it's impossible to quote a price. Rust, stripped threads, zero maintenence for 25 years can all turn a ten minute job into something that takes hours...

Dirtcrasher
02-17-2009, 02:45 PM
I've always wondered WHERE to get those part numbers??

I only find them in the Service Manual, I've never seen a list......

I also wonder about the Hondaline stuff, where are those part numbers??

I've looked around S-Honda but never found anything.

pcdailey
02-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I wasn't expecting too much from the dealer, I think the 250es was older than the counter person. I'd walk away from it if I were them too. I have the part numbers, and actually found a socket on the internet in Europe for 113 euros, or maybe like 145 us. But when I cross referenced the part number online no parts came up with the numbers. It's a mystery:) Again thanks for the help and great ideas.

pcdailey
02-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Hey thefox, I just saw you are in Chittenango, NY, I just moved a couple of years ago but was born and lived for 30 years in Canastota. Small world.

Howdy
02-17-2009, 06:50 PM
I made a tool to remove the big nut on the front of the differential out of a pipe. I took and welded a large bead around the edge and then used a grinder to cut notches for the teeth. It looks like a crude tool, but it works slicker than snot. If you were close I would help rebuild the differential.

Howdy

pcdailey
02-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks Howdy, I'm going to weld one up this week. I'm having trouble getting the nut off the gear right now. I'm working it slowly, but she is being a pia. I have a few old sockets lying around that will go over the nut as is and I can put a bead of weld on the outside and grind it down like you said. Should work ok, we'll see.

I'm about 85 miles east of NYC on long island. Should only take you 10 hours or so to get out here:)

thefox
02-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Hey thefox, I just saw you are in Chittenango, NY, I just moved a couple of years ago but was born and lived for 30 years in Canastota. Small world.

Ahh just a few miles away. I have been in Chitt for 24 years.... (my whole life)

bonkers_200s
02-18-2009, 12:38 PM
I called a Honda delaer in Newburgh NY and they got dumfounded when I asked how much the honda valve adjustment tool was. When I told them it was for a 3 wheeler they told me I was nuts and hung up.