PDA

View Full Version : Fun, Long, Aggravating, Day

Cottonwood
02-16-2009, 12:09 AM
So I got the 85 200x and we cant get it running for whatever reason, I also have the '82 185s with rear suspension that does run and I picked up a bunch of stuff for it the other day as well. Wife said one had to go so I decided on the 200x for now. But I thought I would use what I can off it. Took the rear wheels and spacers and put the old 185 wheels on it. I also had the idea :idea: to take that whole front end and put it on the 185s. I had my neighbor helping me :beer , we got the cables all off and we got the front ends off, spilled the bearings :mad: we then had to then pick up. Then we went to put the x front end on the s, and it would not fit, to fat. But I wanted that front wheel and disc brake:naughty: . So I took off the wheels to swap them, but we couldn't get the axle out of the 185 hub and brake for any thing, we finally got that out and the axle from the 200 was too short for the forks on 185, so I put the 200 wheel on the 185 axle and put it on, but the disc bakes wouldn't match up to bolt on or the tire would sit way off to one side. So we took them off altogether (the front brakes never worked anyway) and finally after finding some spacers and on and off many times we got the the 200 front wheel on the 185, and got both front ends put on:rolleyes: . Only thing is the 200 is missing a front wheel now. Oh well I'm selling it. Moral of the story, I'm an idiot! Should have just checked the manuals and thought a little before diving in on something I didn't know how to do and saved myself a bunch of time. But all in all we had a lot of fun wasting the day away, and as a newbie I learned a lot about taking things off and putting them back on! Sorry about the long post but my wife was laughing her head off at our troubles and thought you all might get a laugh too!:w00t:

braunz200x
02-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Good story take some pics of your work

lukester
02-16-2009, 12:19 AM
I say keep the trikes and let the wife go (lol)
I wish my '82 185s had rear suspension.Did it come like that or is it some thing you did yourself?

Cottonwood
02-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Here's what they both look like right now, and a before of the 185 when I first got it. Have a front fender and headlight I'm going to put on and still have to get the handlebars back on, a way to go, but its a start. I actually just bought it a couple weeks ago like that, its a much nicer ride. Got both the 185s and 200x for a grand total of $180.

Oh and by the way, I found a 3 wheeler grave yard in Tucson, the guy has a ton of stuff, not always the nicest but a lot there. He has over 100 bikes, from frames up to a couple almost complete bikes in all different stages of being parted and all kinds of parts. He used to do a lot of repair stuff but not so much any more so he is trying to get rid of stuff, if your looking for something he may be able to help you out Dave 520-289-7491 tell him Chris from Florence gave you his number, real nice old guy!

Vealmonkey
02-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Hey Cottonwood, Keep me in mind if you are going to cut that aftermarket front end loose. I'm glad you are keeping the suspension frame. You can always find 200x's. Oops. You must have posted the pics while I was typing. I guess you kept the aftermarket front end and just used the 200x tire. I can give you an idea if you wanted to use a disc brake front end that uses the wide front tire. 81 and 82 atc250r have a disc brake front end and the wide tire. I would have to measure the fork tubes for the size, maybe the tubes and the whole front hub assembly would change over? I have an 81 250r front assembly at home. Remind me and I'll get some measurements.

Cottonwood
02-16-2009, 01:51 AM
I was hoping to switch the front ends so I could just use the lights, fender, brake and everything. This front end doesn't have any holes to mount the headlight and fender so I thought it would be easier to to just swap them. Would a 250r front end work as well? It might be easier to put that on then make this one work...I may have to drill some holes to bolt the stuff on....