PDA

View Full Version : Please fill out this letter to CPSC

blue27
02-11-2009, 04:01 PM
In brief with the new ruling from the CPSC that helps promote safety standards for imported ATV for youth use and other toys, also bans all youth ATVs and bikes including parts and aftermarket accessories. Pease read and fill out the letter to congress to use a logical view on this. I know my kids are not going to chew on a ATV lead battery but they seem to think they will.
http://www.racerxonline.com/article/urgent-consumer-safety-commission-waiver.aspx

also a treade started earlier
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=93198

atctim
02-11-2009, 04:42 PM
I have been following this story for a few weeks now. What kind of morons allow this kind of law to be passed - drafted by our geniuses at the CPSC.

Our country is in shambles and now a huge sector of the ATV / dirtbike market is shut down - unbelievable!!!

I signed and sent mine - I urge everyone who reads this to do the same.

What is this country coming to?

I honestly believe that this is just another way for the tree huggers and Anti-ATV people to get their way - has nothing to do with lead in battery terminals of valve stems - it has everything to do with stopping people from riding!

BTW - I know a TRX90 is meant for a little kid - but with this law - I am not able to purchase one for my own enjoyment now. Also - I do believe this law effects all youth models new and used!

dcreel
02-11-2009, 04:50 PM
I signed and sent mine as well.

tecat-z
02-11-2009, 05:14 PM
If this isn't bad enough. Yamaha is in the middle of a huge lawsuit involving the Rhino side x side. The other oems are soon to be involved as well with their S x S offerings. This stuff is for real people!!

tri-Z ripper
02-11-2009, 05:34 PM
did you know a pencil is dangerous if i stab it inyo a lobbyist eye? are they going to ban writing utensils to our children and us as well! anything is dangerous if you make a argument about it!

bad350
02-11-2009, 05:39 PM
just called my local dealer on a honda 90 he said they can't sell them or any parts for youth atvs at the time

rdlsz24
02-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Sent mine!

I can see worrying about lead paint, etc on toys kids are going to put in their mouths. But on ATVs? wtf

Rob

LonesomeTriZ
02-11-2009, 05:51 PM
With Obama in power, it is going to get worse. That is what Democraps do when they assume power. They stop the rest of us from doing what we enjoy because it is for our own good.

LonesomeTriZ
02-11-2009, 05:56 PM
I just read everything and even though I agree and would happily send a letter, I do not htink it will do any good. I am not from that district. Should we not be sending that letter to our own repesentitives? I bet he will just throw away the ones not from his area.

TrailerRider
02-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Sent as well.

JohnR.
02-11-2009, 09:57 PM
With Obama in power, it is going to get worse. That is what Democraps do when they assume power. They stop the rest of us from doing what we enjoy because it is for our own good.

That was passed back in August, when the Republicans were in charge. :wondering

Neither Democrats nor Republicans are interested in looking out for anyone but those who put the most money in their campaign funds and the loudest lobbyists in their ear.

I can't believe that the Honda dealer wouldn't even sell PARTS for the 90 now!

John

LonesomeTriZ
02-11-2009, 10:05 PM
I am just using that as an example. Now that he and his minions are in control, this sort of thing will happen more often.

JohnR.
02-11-2009, 10:12 PM
But your example is of REPUBLICANS doing that so it doesn't make any sense to use that as an example.http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

oscarmayer
02-11-2009, 10:15 PM
signed and sent.

LonesomeTriZ
02-11-2009, 11:19 PM
But your example is of REPUBLICANS doing that so it doesn't make any sense to use that as an example.http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Oh for gods sake. Are you trying to turn this into an argument. I think it is very clear that Dems have a habit of doing this sort of thing. That is what I was saying. And, congress was ran by them at the time this was created. They may not have been in the white house yet, but they were in power. Oh wait, I am wrong about that as well right?

UlsterATCFan
02-12-2009, 07:01 AM
As a UK citizen this isn't my beef but if this is for real its a crime against freedom - making it illegal to buy a junior sized ATV to introduce your child to the joys of the sport. So in China, a communist country, they can introduce their kids to ATV'ing early, in the USA 'the land of the free' its illegal. Christ almighty!

riverrat
02-12-2009, 08:21 AM
I don't get it. Obama's porculous package has allocated 45million for ATV trails. Who's going to ride them? On what machine?

So ghey, I am sick and tired of the government deciding what is safe for us, and taking away our freedoms. Pretty soon, I won't be able to cross the street.

Billy Golightly
02-12-2009, 09:52 AM
As a UK citizen this isn't my beef but if this is for real its a crime against freedom - making it illegal to buy a junior sized ATV to introduce your child to the joys of the sport. So in China, a communist country, they can introduce their kids to ATV'ing early, in the USA 'the land of the free' its illegal. Christ almighty!

Freedom in this country is an illusion. Nothing more then a cheap parlor trick.

LonesomeTriZ
02-12-2009, 01:27 PM
In all seriousness, how do we fight something like this?

yyz4208@aol.com
02-12-2009, 02:00 PM
I thought the ban was because they use a certain chemical in the plastic on the machines. nothing to do with lead

yamaha_ripper98
02-12-2009, 03:48 PM
tell them to ban breathing air next its polluted its sad our tax money goes to people like this that have nothing better to do than
B!@#h about things like this

if i was a dealer i would just make people sign a waiver that says that niether us or the corperation is responcible for you doing dangerous stuff on this off road vehicle ex. YAMAHA RHINO they dont crash thierselves its the idiot driving

i crashed my old warrior once i didnt call yamaha and tell them they did it for making the 4 wheeler

blue27
02-12-2009, 04:14 PM
This is from Hemmings Web Site

Motorcycles
Small displacement dirt bike ban in effect

Do not eat this motorcycle!
photo courtesy KTM
We could easily retitle this “The law of unintended consequences.” In August of 2008, Congress enacted the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008. The act was primarily in reaction to the recent influx of lead-contaminated toys from China. Unfortunately, the CPSIA requires manufacturers of the outrageously broad “Childrens Products” to meet increasingly stringent lead paint and lead content standards and to certify, based on third party testing, that the products meet the act’s requirements.

One of the products that falls into this category is dirt bikes under 80cc. Dirt bikes from every major manufacturer meeting this description (Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Suzuki, Yamaha) all use paint with little or no lead, which would easily comply with the most stringent requirements. However, some alloy materials commonly used in the manufacture of motorcycles may inherently contain levels of lead that are (or might be) above the current limits set forth in the act. As a result, beginning on February 10, 2009, motorcycles of 80cc and smaller are no longer available for purchase in the United States.

The straight dope here is that the act was originally set forth to prevent lead content in toys that might be mouthed by small children, not motorcycles. (I suppose we should add that it’s not safe to drink the gas in the tank, pour the acid from the battery in your eyes or to lick the chain at any time either.)

Doesn’t sound like a big deal? Take KTM into consideration for a moment: KTM is the top-selling European motorcycle manufacturer selling bikes in the United States. It beats BMW by a wide margin every year. Why? Because an incredibly large segment of its bikes are 80cc and under. KTM dealers are also normally small, Mom and Pop-run shops that will feel a potentially fatal bite from sales in an already hostile business environment. This act will put KTM dealers out of business.

What can you do? Contact your Congressional delegation and Senators and urge them to ensure that small motorcycles and ATVs are exempted from the lead-content provisions of the Act.
- By Craig Fitzgerald

LonesomeTriZ
02-12-2009, 06:08 PM
That is a good read. I agree that we should contact OUR reps. The link in the first post does not go to every ones rep. He is not going to care if you are not from his area. I know it is easier to just sign it and then feel like you did something. But that is not how it works. Contact you own congressman and who ever it takes.

TrailerRider
03-18-2009, 12:44 AM
Got a response back from Barbara Boxer. Such a canned response it was pathetic:

Dear Mr. Torres:

Thank you for writing to me with your concerns about the new lead and toxin testing requirements in the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act. I appreciate hearing from you.
As you noted, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (P.L.110-314) was signed into law on August 14, 2008 and went into effect on February 10, 2009. This law limits lead content and bans phthalates - toxins known to have adverse effects on children's health - in toys and other children's products.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is working to promulgate regulations to implement this legislation now. I will work with the CPSC to ensure that clear, commonsense guidance is provided as quickly as possible.
Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to write to me in the future about this or any other issue of concern to you.

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator

senator@boxer.senate.gov

Please visit my website at http://boxer.senate.gov