PDA

View Full Version : Another Tecate "no spark" thread....

DixiePlowboy
02-10-2009, 10:31 AM
While riding yesterday on a long straight away, running up through the gears at full throttle, I get halfway through 5th gear and I start losing power. I back off the throttle and the bogging stops. It felt like I was fouling a plug in slow-motion sort of.

No strange engine noises to indicate mechanical trouble, but at anything over half-throttle it was cutting out. Like the ignition was "dropping out".

I kill it for about 10-minutes, it fires right back up, and just dies while in neutral. I changed the plug and nothing. Pulled it and checked-no spark. Disconnected my killswitch, checked my connections, checked my flywheel key, checked my Ricky Stator coil-mounting screws....all seems good....no spark.

My question is which is most likely my culprit at this point, the coil or the CDI? Or maybe another point of interest I need to check?

I'm too low on money to just buy a part(or even worse...partS) guessing and hoping that I'll find the problem.

Thanks!

HondaHarry
02-10-2009, 12:22 PM
check the wires right where they come out of the cdi? I've seen them break or rub thru right there, and make sure the ground loop at the coil is tight and clean. I've seen that ground cause issues more than once on trikes I've messed with. can't say that's exactly what's wrong with it, but at least you can rule it out... HH

Nick_R_23
02-10-2009, 12:37 PM
I had a 185s do the same thing on me a few years ago. I was taking a run around the lake and when I got to the far side (of course the furthest point away from home :lol: ) it started losing power, more and more until eventually just cut out all together. I pulled the plug and, yep, no spark. I drug it home and went thru the entire ignition system and apparantly the stator coil just up and died on me out of nowhere. Threw in a new one for 15$ and it never ran better.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

fabiodriven
02-10-2009, 07:21 PM
My 85 Tecate did something similar, but not exactly the same thing. Turned out to be the stator.

DixiePlowboy
02-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Stator is good....looking for another culprit.(STATEMENT RETRACTED BELOW)

DixiePlowboy
03-01-2009, 08:29 PM
My last post in this thread was way off!

Turns out my stator WAS indeed bad. I replaced it yesterday which was just in time for a surprise 3" snowfall here in northwest Alabama this morning. Our slick/near empty 4-lane and curvy County 2-lane got ripped between 8-11 a.m. this morning.