PDA

View Full Version : UNI or K N

bittner5454
02-09-2009, 09:27 PM
i have an 85 200x, was wondering what the difference really was between the uni air filter and the k+N. I heard k+n is the best but a lot of people say they have a uni air filter in their trike.

Thanks!

chris200x
02-09-2009, 09:29 PM
If your riding off road,, the uni is the way to go.

K&N allows more air (I would think) but for dirt, dust,,mud,, water,, etc.. I'd feel safer running the uni.

....at least that's what the guy behind the counter at my local dealership tells me.

rdlsz24
02-09-2009, 09:32 PM
They are both good. K&N it's true will let more air through and also costs more.

Rob

dirtface
02-09-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm with Chris200x, The guy behind my counter said the same. The tripple foam is what you want. For many reasons he is totally against K&N, says they are a waste of money. I can honestly say that I do have both.:lol:

beets442
02-09-2009, 09:34 PM
I've had both and Uni's are reusable. K&N are more expensive but good. Beets

Itrike
02-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Same here I've used both , but I only use uni on all of my machines now.

Cottonwood
02-09-2009, 09:50 PM
I have K&N but I think I'm going back to Uni. You need outer wear for K&N for your off road machines which adds to the cost. The Uni is cheaper and works great for the off road stuff. But I run K&N on my street vehicles, car, truck, bike.

NOS_350X
02-09-2009, 10:08 PM
IMO it depneds on your maintince. Air filters should be cleaned after EVERY RIDE.
When i have a customer come in i take a few things into consideration. 1, How often they do simple things like clean the filter, change oil stuff like that. 2 Where they are riding. 3 What type of bike they are riding

If they are anal about keeping things clean the the K&N will suit them just fine and will filter just as good as a uni.

In super dusty conditions, Foam, with an outerwear with the stickyest oil you can find is the only way to go. Anything elce it can go eather way.

The bike does make a factor. A pure race bike, Go K&N.
an old thumper will never wear out. The filtering diffrence isnt going to hurt anything, Go K&N. If your a play rider on a high maintnce 450, then save that engine and get a foam filter.

If you can get a twin air filter, They are better than the UNI's

i58829
02-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Nothing better than a K&N, i would only buy them if i was getting a new filter. I have one on my R, 350X, 250SX and all of my daily drivers. If you have a filter charger kit you can clean them often and i try to oil mine 2 or 3 times between washes (which is 2 or 3 times a riding season just like oil changes). With all of the coal dust and what not up here i think its the best choice but thats just my opinion. My 86 200X has a UNI and i dont really have any complaints about it but i'd prefer a K&N so i can watch the dirt go down the drain, TC...

tanks350x
02-09-2009, 11:24 PM
I run a UNI on my X and a K&N on my Harley. It's obvious, ones on dirt and ones for the street

Autophysn
02-10-2009, 12:06 AM
well, I had a similar filter to a K&N on my kids go kart, and he was riding in the back yard, VERY DUSTY. When I took it off, Plenty had gotten past the air cleaner. Well, to make a long story short, all I had was a K&N to replace it with. I used it in the same conditions, and the filter got so damn dirty, I was scared to take it off, for fear of what I would find. The carb was super clean. Needless to say, I think K&N air filters are good, I even have one on my R. However, on my kids go kart, he did a jump and broke the intake manifold in two. I beleive this was due to the weight of the air filter being that it was a K&N. I truly feel that had it been a UNI, there would not have been a problem. They are very expensive, and do have the popular name. They work great, but IMO, should be left for the show car or show bike, and simply stay with the UNI for your evryday use's regardless of terrain.

Again, IMO

oscarmayer
02-10-2009, 08:33 AM
me personally, i like the K&N filters. you can get the cover for it to protect against water spalsh, mud and really dusty conditions and they are well designed. I personally don't think you can go wrong with one. yea they cost more, but to me, they are better quality. they also tens to last a lot longer than the foam ones.

cr480r
02-13-2009, 04:46 AM
IMO K&Ns have no place in the dirt.... and I wouldnt even consider using one on sand without a pre-filter... K&N= airflow... Foam= filtration... you choose...