PDA

View Full Version : more zinger mods for me

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-09-2009, 09:11 PM
first thing i did was scrap the pump, shaft and a 1/2 pound gear, and a plastic gear as well/.
then i put different clutch weights in it..there the little rubber things inside the clutch.
with the gear gone in the trash i made a spacer, just incase the circlip came loose.
jb welded the pump shaft hole up, now im waitnig to sand it flush..
and im going to lighten the "drum" i "hear" i can take half its weight off!!!!:beer

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-09-2009, 09:17 PM
took it for a ride...WOW:beer
higher "stall"..... revs SO much faster with all that extra weight off the main shaft feels so much quicker, but more of a lightswitch powerband now. it hits like the banshee does.im going to try a different weight in there next week, to fine tune it. tomorrow its back apart to lighten the drum..
found out you can put a "shifting" tranny in there, now i got to hunt one down.. 3or 5speed, that is the question.:wondering

LonesomeTriZ
02-09-2009, 11:21 PM
What other mods are you performing? I want to do some stuff to my son's Zinger when I get home.

Vealmonkey
02-10-2009, 12:04 AM
I had heard you can get a shifting trans, but never knew the details. Maybe you can elaborate on that. Have you found your yamaha moped yet?
That's where the better rear gears come from. Your modding this zinger the right way. Nice job.

LonesomeTriZ
02-10-2009, 11:36 AM
I to would like ot hear more about that.

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-10-2009, 05:04 PM
louis, im modifing the piston. porting the cylinder,(but not the cases yet)shaving the head, lighting the flywheel , getting a rep. pipe builder the build a pipe $$$$$. carbon fiber reeds, pw80 carb, clamp on filter.and what i ve done iside so far.
veal, i havent found "it" yet, but ive been looking hard for the past week. they make them run around 40ish or so.the trans stuff is going to be a hard find, they only made them a few years one or two i think. ill pm you later on what you need to find.

LonesomeTriZ
02-10-2009, 05:17 PM
I would like very much to know how it runs after all this is done.

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-10-2009, 07:21 PM
completed block off, and parts removed. i also removed the skid plate and the oil tank. 2 lbs shaved off so far, and if the oil tank was full of oil, thats another 1 lbs off.that little gear is HEAVY for what it is.

brapp
02-10-2009, 07:25 PM
git it lil ragggggg

LonesomeTriZ
02-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the photographs. My son is going to be ready for a little more speed when I get home.

Do you have any more information on the carb you are using?

Yamahondaman
02-10-2009, 07:38 PM
I Used the 20mm carb off the pw80 versus the 16mm stock carb. , hey nathan ... bring that thing with you next week !!! we can go git a couple of allum baseball bats and make another pipe !! LOUD tho .. i'll git the skill saw out with the carbide blade on it !:beer

Vealmonkey
02-10-2009, 07:45 PM
If you are redoing your intake, I would suggest using electrical aluminum conduit and a little artful cutting and welding. I would recommend a straing shot with the intake run as it will help with better direct airflow. You can angle your intake anyway you want if you are building from scratch and tig welding. You can find that phenolic block stuff too to make it look just like the factory stuff if you look hard enough. A little time with a die grinder or a very small router bit and you will have yourself a very nice custom reed block. If you have a nice set of small router bits, you can round over your reed inlets a little and I wouldn't make the corners of your reed block square either, those rounded too would be nice but just a personal preference. Once you source your moped, a little finesse is needed with the press to get your gears off and swapped over. Now if you are really crazy, then you will source out a different cylinder and head. A cylinder with a proper reed block in the back of the cylinder is what you are looking for. I forget what cylinder we used, but it was late 60s or early 70s. The hard part isn't the cylinder, it's the welding or your engine cases and then the drilling and the tapping to get your cylinder all square. Once you get all that in place, yo have to make a plate to block off the stock intake and then lots of porting and polishing and massaging in general will be needed. Don't throw your piston away, since you will have to par the weight down on the bigger piston to the comparative weight of the yt piston. And even though I haven't seen one in lots of years, there were even stroker kits available for the yt60. Also I know of a guy that could probably hook you up with a custom made expansion chamber. He makes lots of them for many different machines. It won't be cheap, but it will be your only real bet to get the most performance out of your engine. Try sourcing go kart rims to save you weight also. Go kart tires will help you alot. I would seriously think of bumping up my compression and running alcohol. Also you may want to go back to the stock flywheel weight pieces since your engine is revving up alot faster. Remember, don't rush the press. Best of luck. I'm digging this big time. Now who was it on here that had the yt60 with the suspension?????

userj8670
02-10-2009, 10:26 PM
This is getting serious. I have really no idea about 2 strokes and really dont know what all this means but i am enjoying reading this thread big time!

LonesomeTriZ
02-10-2009, 10:28 PM
I am as well. I am getting a lot more ideas than I started with.

250rulzes
02-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Veal Monkey,

These are some seriously sweet mods! I do have a question. I'm in the process of getting the rear gear from a QT50. By the looks of the gear it has more teeth than the YT60. Since the QT has a larger tire, wont this make the YT wheelie happy sacrificing top end speed?

So if you put a small tire on a QT, if it was possible your top end speed would suffer and you would have a wheelie QT?

Shed some light...

Vealmonkey
02-11-2009, 12:57 AM
I don't really remember all the detials. But we used a yamaha moped. When you switched the main gear, yo had to switch the shaft gear too. If I remember it was the gear combo, not just the main gear of the moped. My buddy had it all figured out and he picked up the moped and I was helping. It's sort of like switching around the sprockets in a chain drive bike.

dcreel
02-11-2009, 06:28 AM
When removing the inner shaft for the pump. Do you just take out the whole shaft? I was going to leave the shaft with the plastic gear on it alone. But if I can remove it with no problems I will. I see your picture of the shaft, is it just held in by bearings in either engine case? And the shaft only works with the oil pump? Do you take off the gear that turns the shaft? If you do, do you have to put a spacer in its place?

I have 3 motors to rebuild so I guess I just need to pull it apart.

Thanks for the information I appreciate it. Also the connecting rod should have no side to side play right? I mean left to right play. All 3 of these motors have side to side play in the connecting rod. How do you measure the bore and the cylinder size to determine if you need an oversize piston? I see they have a .25 and .50 oversize set. Do I need to get a micrometer? And then covert the size to cm.'s ?

Thank you, I have a long row to hoe with the 3 I have.

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-11-2009, 08:56 AM
you remove the shaft with the plastic gear too.and i removed the heavy gear on the countershaft as well. theres a circlip on the countershaft that holds the clutch in place, but if ever came off, i made that spacer so it wouldnt go "in" to the cases and destroy it.
the rod is supposed to have side to side play. i dont have a book to tell you what it is, but it is NOT supposed to have up/down play.
the piston is only made by yama that i have found. when you look at the top,it will have an arrow and it will say nothing for stock bore, .25, or .50 near that arrow.hope that helps you, nathan

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-11-2009, 12:12 PM
got a lead from another member that this thing might be a direct bolt on a zinger. its for a 45mm piston, and has the reed block directly on the cylinder!!!then ill have to have the cases welded up and an intake made.
damn, this is going to get expensive!!:cry:

Nick_R_23
02-11-2009, 12:17 PM
What size is the stock piston? Is that a YZ80 or a PW80 cylinder?

-Nick :TrikesOwn

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-11-2009, 01:40 PM
What size is the stock piston? Is that a YZ80 or a PW80 cylinder?

i honestly dont know what the stock size is, maybe 42mm????:wondering the cylinder in neither, its an aftermarket one like esr or ct. its for a motorcyle type is all i can say!

Tri-Z 250
02-11-2009, 02:43 PM
its for a motorcyle type is all i can say!

HUSH HUSH TOP SECRET anymore probing questions will be:banned: LMAO

Nick_R_23
02-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Haha ok I will keep quiet now!! :D :D

bandito90
02-11-2009, 04:18 PM
It's for a Chappy correct?They were fun bikes.Should make that zinger really move!

Vealmonkey
02-11-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm not sending out any more pm's on this! LOL

bandito90
02-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Well when you scrolled over the pic it kinda told you what it was.

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-11-2009, 05:08 PM
:crazy:
Well when you scrolled over the pic it kinda told you what it was.

what are you talking about?? it doesnt say that when i scroll over it.:crazy:

firefirefire90
02-11-2009, 05:36 PM
204cc stroker?!@>!>!@

LonesomeTriZ
02-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Just wondering, why do you want a fast Zinger?

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Just wondering, why do you want a fast Zinger?

sorta like my signature, going to have" the fastest zinger on the planet... make a note".
and NO ONE has one built like this one im building.

LonesomeTriZ
02-11-2009, 11:31 PM
I see. I doubt I will go as far as you are. But I will be tweaking the little guy a bit. My son is already showing a lot of promise.

brapp
02-12-2009, 08:48 AM
its ok nathan you will only have the fastest zinger for so long lol

Yamada
02-12-2009, 08:56 AM
:crazy:

what are you talking about?? it doesnt say that when i scroll over it.:crazy:

Yes, it do.:postwhore

Kintore
02-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Hey nathan, try not to make it too fast for them damned hondas!

Looks sweet buddy, will i have the pleasure of riding this beast at TF this year? you showin?

Ronnie how about you? I got bud light and gwen sayin you will!

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-12-2009, 10:01 AM
josh, if i show , you can take it for a spin.im going to fla. next week to see ronnie, on the way back up, im going to try to stop by billy's as well..we'll see..

Kintore
02-13-2009, 08:47 AM
AWESOME!

I hope you guys can make it!!!

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-13-2009, 11:45 AM
we''ll try. i wonder if we can still bring them air horns and blow-up dolls??:rolleyes:

Billy Golightly
02-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Nathan, Are you coming through here next weekend? I wont be here :( Call me dude, if you dont have my # anymore send me a PM.

Xowner
02-13-2009, 07:45 PM
we''ll try. i wonder if we can still bring them air horns and blow-up dolls??:rolleyes:

thats bad~