PDA

View Full Version : 85 250r kickstart problems.. HELP!!!

big schott
02-08-2009, 10:41 PM
I have been rebuilding my 250R lately and I up till now has been going good. I bored it, replaced a couple bearings and seals, and did some clutch work. Today I replaced the side cover and when I tightened the bolts I noticed that the kick start was hard to move and the sprind did not have enough power to bring the kick lever back up. As soon as I loosened the bolts the lever popped back up and worked fine. (the spring is fine)
I was using a new gasket, and I did notice that their was only one washer on the kick start shaft instead of two. (#10) I did try it with two washers (I found another almost the same size) with the same problem. I also tried it without the washers with only the collar (#9) and It seemed to be kinda OK.
This all worked fine before the engine work so, what did I do wrong?
Is this a normal problem or do I have a unknowen? PLEASE HELP!!!:confused: :confused:
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo59/bigschott93/H01640014.gif

Dirtcrasher
02-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Did you have everything off the spindle?? Are the punch marks aligned and all that good stuff?

Is there a chance you mixed up one of the washers? with something else?

I'd temporarily assemble it without the return spring just to see if it's free inside the case with the cover on.

When you install that assembly and pop the cover on, you should feel a few thousandths of play in and out with that spindle or something is wrong.

I THOUGHT that the 85 and 86 had a difference in spacers and or washers??

DeePa
02-09-2009, 12:58 PM
the kicker was updated in 89...it was a warranty fix back in the day.

85 has 2 washers and a smaller collar, 89 has no washers and a larger collar...if i can recall correctly

deathman53
02-09-2009, 06:24 PM
no, 85-87 had the same kicker assem. 85 gears were weaker and honda changed them for 86. In 88 the gears and shaft were changed again, a shoulder was put on the shaft and the clutch cover got a ~1/2 added to it, to take up the room for the kicker shaft. I have 88/89 kicker assem. and covers. I didn't look that closely to see how much they are different, but they are differently different. 88/89 kicker assem. is supposed to turn over the motor faster and with less chance of the gears slipping.

Dirtcrasher
02-09-2009, 08:13 PM
no, 85-87 had the same kicker assem. 85 gears were weaker and honda changed them for 86. In 88 the gears and shaft were changed again, a shoulder was put on the shaft and the clutch cover got a ~1/2 added to it, to take up the room for the kicker shaft. I have 88/89 kicker assem. and covers. I didn't look that closely to see how much they are different, but they are differently different. 88/89 kicker assem. is supposed to turn over the motor faster and with less chance of the gears slipping.

I'd guess that means that the large kicker gear has more teeth?? But, how could that be so without the clutch basket gear remaining the same??

I'm pretty sure Mike was right about the spacer change versus spacer/washer - I knew I had seen something change.... I may not ride an R but I've had my hands down their pants a few times :lol:

Don't take me wrong, not trying to dispute it but rather trying to figure out whats what and what might be happening to this guys motor.... BUT, I'd like to know if the gearing changed to "turn it over faster" as the basket gear would/must have changed because there is no intermediate gear in the 250R engines.....

I still believe that something must be out of order or incorrect in terms of thickness because that shaft shouldn't "bind" Honestly, I can see "permatex/form-a-gasket" creating a problem here due to a lack of .010 or ten thousandths, but I believe he said he ran the correct gasket......?????

Sometimes its the stupidest most insignificant thing that causes something like this............

Lets stay on it and get it figured out for ya:beer !!

deathman53
02-09-2009, 11:06 PM
I had my kicker not spring back and bind up due to the spring not tensioned before the plate being tightened down. My first 2 times messing with the clutch basket and kickstarter gears required me to tear it down and re-do it. It was the stupidiest of mistakes, but it didn't work right.

big schott
02-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Did you have everything off the spindle??.
NO, and this is the thing I didn't touch this part.

Are the punch marks aligned and all that good stuff? .
The Gears are all aligned, What elese?

Is there a chance you mixed up one of the washers? with something else? .
Maybe, but all the other washers in this part are differant size.

I'd temporarily assemble it without the return spring just to see if it's free inside the case with the cover on. .
I'll try this.

When you install that assembly and pop the cover on, you should feel a few thousandths of play in and out with that spindle or something is wrong. .
I'll check this.

I THOUGHT that the 85 and 86 had a difference in spacers and or washers?.
This doesn't apply, I didn't change any parts. It worked fine before I took it apart.

I do appreciate the input, I was wondering if theshaft is supost to move a little up and down? Could it be that the whole shaft moved out a little and this is making the gear/collar bind with the cover when I tighten it up?

Onece again,
Thanks for the input!!!:beer

saleen_n_around
02-09-2009, 11:48 PM
You don't have #5 flipped over do you?

big schott
02-09-2009, 11:59 PM
You don't have #5 flipped over do you?

LOL I needed to look to see what the hell #5 was.:lol: NO, I never took that apart. I am going to try to work on it a little tomorow night but I am STUMPED!!:wondering

Tecate250
03-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Any new on this? I am having the same problem but my r had a broken kicker spring. I used foam a gasket and realized about the thou it needs to clear the main kicker gear. My ratchet also seems to ge behind the ratchet guide. Is this bent outward preventing the kicker to stop in the right place?

Dirtcrasher
03-09-2010, 08:33 PM
I don't know if it's bent outwards just to guide the ratchet back in or not.... I'd have to look at one. There is probably a boss in the case that puts the kicker at 12:00 or whatever.....

It is suppose to rest behind that piece, and that hook on it makes installing the shaft a bit easier.

I do know that allot of guys can't install kickstarters properly. It isn't the easiest thing to do, but you have to understand it. The book helps too...........

ceaserthethird
03-10-2010, 04:22 AM
Post some Pictures this will help us !

Racerguy381
03-10-2010, 05:26 AM
I had the same issue at first with my kick shaft. When I assembled it the return spring wasnt all the way seated in the shaft hole. I remember there only one way it will fit correctly and sit all the way down. Double check your return spring, take it off the shaft and check it as well to make its seated and the spring hole lines up correctly. Good like like said above pics would help.