PDA

View Full Version : quest for vealmonkey about 110

oscarmayer
02-08-2009, 10:00 PM
if I wanted to take one of my trasked 125 jugs and have it fit a 110 engine, what woudl I need to do? Here's what i'm thinking.

shave the bottom of the jug some and then the top down to the correct heigth of the 10 jug.
h0ne the rod end out to fit the 125 piston pin if different, but I thought they were the same, so this may not be needed.
use the 110 head on the 125
shave a small amount of the piston shirt off the bottom
hone out the case to fit the 125 jug hole

am i missing anything? I'm wanting it to run and drive as much as newish as possible. I have an 84 110 that needs the top end redone and if i'm goign to pay why not toss a 125 setup if possible? the bigger bore would do it some good wouldn't it?

SWIGIN
02-08-2009, 10:08 PM
i looked into this and have a 125 piston here and i think you can just bore your cly for a 125 piston to fit.

as you know the 110 has no sleeve but the part that fits down into the cases will be thin....what i dont know is how thin is to thin.

the pins are the same size but the 125 piston has the pin lower so the piston sits taller.....keep that in mind.

oscarmayer
02-08-2009, 10:36 PM
thanks swingin. i was told that the 125 is jsut too much to bore out. the engie woudl over heat due to too think a wall or crack easly. that's why i was hoping to use the 125 jug. i was plannign on using the 110 pins and head so it shoudl be ok as far as that shoter goes as that's on the head side not the jug side.

but that is a good though. I'll do some micing and see jsut how thin it woudl be to fit a 125 piston in it. if it's not too bad, hrmmmmm maybe the easiest way. do you know if the pins are the same?

SWIGIN
02-08-2009, 10:43 PM
yeah, i said the pins are the same....at least it is with the 125 piston i have

oscarmayer
02-08-2009, 10:47 PM
k cool man, thanks! Now to double cheock the specs.

oscarmayer
02-08-2009, 10:50 PM
ok 110 stock bore was 52mm 125m is 55mm stock. now to measure the jug wall thickness to see if it can handle a 3mm overbore saflet, if i can, heck, i'll try to toss the 125 piston in it. i think the 125 psiton is a bit longer so i would still have to cut it down just a tad if it is. i'm also plannign on shaving the head down just a tad to up the compression, and doing a nice valve job if i do this.

Vealmonkey
02-08-2009, 11:10 PM
You'll love these pictures then. Note this is a poweroll piston and note the measurement on the piston. The paperwork says it will only displace 118 cc. HMMMM. Different stroke or different rod length? Also be very careful changing the head thickness. It doesn't take much to start making nasty things happen. Also note it is a higher compression piston due to the fact there is more material on top of the piston and the piston dome has deeper reliefs cut for the valves. I wouldn't start removing material from the head until you know what you valve clearance to the top of the piston is and you better make sure that once you take this clearance that you don't change cams, since a higher lift or longer duration cam will totally alter you clearance to the piston top. And I do have 1 or 2 more bigger pistons that are higher compression too, but they don't have all the pieces like this one does. And this is spoken for by 1 of the board members on here.

oscarmayer
02-08-2009, 11:43 PM
what are you asking for said piston that needs stuff? what does it need? i would assume the 125m rings would fit?

SWIGIN
02-08-2009, 11:46 PM
ok 110 stock bore was 52mm 125m is 55mm stock. now to measure the jug wall thickness to see if it can handle a 3mm overbore saflet, if i can, heck, i'll try to toss the 125 piston in it. i think the 125 psiton is a bit longer so i would still have to cut it down just a tad if it is. i'm also plannign on shaving the head down just a tad to up the compression, and doing a nice valve job if i do this.

right thats only 1.5mm off 1 side of the cly....i think it will work and i am planning on doing this but my 110 hasn't seen the light of day in a few years so its on the back burner.

oscarmayer
02-09-2009, 12:12 AM
i did measure the skits and theya re the same so no trimming the side skirts down needed.

SWIGIN
02-09-2009, 12:18 AM
i did measure the skits and theya re the same so no trimming the side skirts down needed.

nope, the only real difference is the 125 piston will be higher.....even that is probaly not a big deal since i think the rings dont come out of the cly.

oscarmayer
02-09-2009, 11:07 AM
^ yup saw that. so technically it could be a direct bolt and go.