PDA

View Full Version : Info needed on my old Tecate 3?

dgpilot15
02-08-2009, 07:39 PM
I bought a raggy 1984 Kawasaki Tecate 3 ATC off an acquaintance way back in 1991. It was my first purchase of an off road vehicle. I knew nothing at that time other than where to put the gas into. After 18 years of wrenching on this ATC and my other bikes/projects, I picked up quite a bit of info about this bike along the way.
I became friends with Harry over at Trinity Racing who, at the time, was purging his shop of all of his Tecate parts. I was the fortunate recipient. He knew quite a bit about Tecates from years of working on them and custom building them. He pointed out that my Tecate had some trick parts on it that he hadn't seen since the racing days.

Here are some of the items. Who knows, maybe someone will recognize the list of custom items and remember this bike.

The stock motor was decked and had a custom piston made to reduce the engine displacement down to 200cc.

The stock rear shock was replaced with a White Brothers "White Power" racing shock.

The stock footpegs had three inch extensions welded onto the ends.

The rear swingarm was replaced with a plus 2" Champion swingarm.

All of the electrics were removed. Headlight, taillight, kill switch, lighting coil, etc..

There was a custom engraving done to the cylinder dome. it says "Hi Bodie"

The rear axle had four inch aluminum extension blocks installed.

The stock carb and thumb throttle were replaced with a Motion Pro twist throttle and a Mikuni 38 Flatslide.

I'm in the middle of restoring it back from the dead. I have some pictures of it but it has been greatly improved over the years from the turd it once was when I first bought it. I'll upload them as soon as I figure out where. I broke the frame jumping it back in 1994 and Harry at Trinity had a spare frame in the shop that he had raked the neck out three degrees for hill racing. Due to this, the numbers no longer match. I also installed a bunch of 1985 Tecate parts that he had given to me. Most noteably, the '85 front end with a disc brake and headlight.

tecat-z
02-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Sounds like an interesting project, with some cool history behind it. Good luck and be sure to post up some pics.

2quicktecate
02-08-2009, 08:43 PM
sweet trike, what kind of pipe is that? they made the 200 kit so these bad boys could race the 200cc class. also the twist throttle is stock on the tecate's.

dcreel
02-08-2009, 09:44 PM
The pipe and silencer look like Klemm research. Looks like areal nice Tecate. You wouldn't happen to have another set of 85 fork guards would you?

dgpilot15
02-08-2009, 11:19 PM
The pipe and silencer were custom made by Trinity Racing. I lucked out and stumbled into those fork guards in a clearance bin at Cycle Parts West almost a decade ago, sorry.

atvmxr
02-08-2009, 11:51 PM
38mm carb on a 200cc?? comparitively speaking the 34mm carb on my blaster killed my bottom end response, a 38mm i cant imagine, but must rev to the moon though! :)

dcreel
02-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Well I'm going to go out on a limb and say that apparently Klemm Research and Trinity Racing both had their exhausts made by Power Pros. The silencers are exactly the same. Klemm Research had their exhausts built by Power Pros.

dgpilot15
02-09-2009, 02:49 AM
To the moon is correct. The story goes like this. My riding buddy at the time had a fully built 86 honda 250R with a +6 swinger and an alky conversion. I got tired of the heckling so I gave Trinity a call for a rebuild and a full stage 4 port job. It was cheaper to bring in the barrel and have them do the porting on the bench. After a 1 over job on the sleeve and a full hill race port job, I took it home and tried to assemble. The 1 over stock Kawi Tecate 250 piston popped out of the top of the cylinder. I hauled it in to Trinity and after some head scratching, Harry told me the bike had been decked to a 200cc. The down side was there was no longer a piston that could work in the new cylinder. Harry went on a personal crusade to find a piston with the proper bore and stroke but ended up fabricating a 2mm thick aluminum spacer to raise up the cylinder base and doubled up on base gaskets. He found a piston made for a Honda TRX 400 that was close enough to work in the new bore and stroke and we got to work. After doing the math, the new bore and stroke yielded a final displacement of 225cc. I spent a good part of an entire saturday tinkering on the jetting to get it dialed in. The end result was a super high revving 225 two stroke with a mild bottom to mid power delivery and a huge kick in the ass at around 7k RPM. It pulled super strong until redline and showed no signs of topping out. I'm sure it would have kept pulling well past the ignition redline. I've had several 250 two strokes in the past but none with a light switch powerband like this one.

As for the pipe and silencer. Trinity's pipes were a little too generic looking for me to believe they were all made in house. Then again, he did tell me it would take several weeks for the Tecate pipe to be fabricated. He didn't say by whom.

dgpilot15
02-09-2009, 03:00 AM
Here's a close up of the motor. You can see the aluminum spacer at the bottom of the cyl head.

Nick_R_23
02-09-2009, 03:02 AM
He found a piston made for a Honda TRX 400 that was close enough to work in the new bore and stroke and we got to work.

Im curious about this piston, Honda never made a TRX 400 back then, and even then it wouldve been a 4 stroke. Maybe it was out of a big bore kit for the TRX250R??

-Nick :TrikesOwn

dgpilot15
02-09-2009, 03:14 AM
This was all done back in 1993 or 1994. It could have been a TRX 300? The piston didnt have valve reliefs in it so I always assumed it was for a large bore Honda two stroke. Honestly, Harry was getting short on time to invest in this further. He fit the piston and didn't really go into detail on what the specifics of the piston were. That aways bothered me due to the inevitable need for another piston. Luckily, he gave me a donor stock 250cc barrel in case I ever wanted to undo the madness.

cr480r
02-13-2009, 04:52 AM
38mm carb on a 200cc?? comparitively speaking the 34mm carb on my blaster killed my bottom end response, a 38mm i cant imagine, but must rev to the moon though! :)

Imagine that some KTM 125's came out the box with 39's...