PDA

View Full Version : 86 z tranny?

yamaha_ripper98
02-08-2009, 04:28 PM
ok yesterday i traded my 2001 yz80 for trikecrazy's 86 z its way nicer in person than the pics made it look i cleaned er up and it looks great i put my 85 clutch cover on it and starts and runs/rides perfect even idles but 3rd gear is blown what shaft is 3rd on input or output probly just looking to get whatever one it is if i can because all other gears are perfect i know it will be pricey if i can find one but just curious

yamaha_ripper98
02-08-2009, 05:27 PM
its input finally found it

tecat-z
02-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Well, gears wear in pairs and can only be replaced as such. I've seen tri-z trannys that were popping out of gear, or not holding. And they seem to have forks that don't take the abuse as well as some. They wear throught the hard coat on the pad faster than most. If you can't locate gears, send them to get "cut". As long as they arn't broken.....

yamaha_ripper98
02-08-2009, 07:26 PM
well it stays in just grinds and slips could it be as simple as worn shift fork or cam?

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-08-2009, 07:58 PM
my zilla did this , i had te replace that gear that was slipping, and what ever gear "slid" on the shaft and meshed with it. good luck find the gears you need, i think there long gone!i have plenty of 5 speed internals if you need them, they go right in!

yamaha_ripper98
02-08-2009, 10:44 PM
i know they are a b!@#$ to find but i have a 85 input will it mesh with the 86 out?
im not gonna try it just wondering but how much u want for a 85 tranny set? might hit you up for one

tecat-z
02-08-2009, 11:19 PM
No 5speed parts will work with the 6speed. Getting your 6speed box cut is the most economical, and reliable way to go. You just can't have any broken gears! I don't know why more people don't do it to correct beat up trannys with discontinued parts!

yamaha_ripper98
02-08-2009, 11:22 PM
i dont have it apart yet to see if teeth are broken off but when i do who can grind/cut them right for me? and cost? i would love to keep the 86 a 6 speed it runs great but i want 3rd

by no 5 speed parts work with 6 do you mean like mesh to eacholther or 86 bottom wont fit 85 input and output

sblt500r
02-08-2009, 11:32 PM
theres 6 gears which are thiner than the 5 speed gears, which are thicker. thicker and thinner gears won't mess together. both main shafts are different to hold the 6 gears.

you can't just throw a 3rd gear from a 5 speed in a 6 speed trans. don't work. gears, main shafts, shift forks are all different. you need a whole 5 speed or find a gear for yours, which will be very hard

yamaha_ripper98
02-08-2009, 11:40 PM
theres 6 gears which are thiner than the 5 speed gears, which are thicker. thicker and thinner gears won't mess together. both main shafts are different to hold the 6 gears.

you can't just throw a 3rd gear from a 5 speed in a 6 speed trans. don't work. gears, main shafts, shift forks are all different. you need a whole 5 speed or find a gear for yours, which will be very hard

yea i know it will be hard i would like to but i think im just gonna find a 85 set to throw in for now until i find a 86 set i knew the shafts were diff like to hold gears but i didnt know if they were interchangable as a comp set thanks i got it now i hope mine arent broke tho so i can get them cut / grinded or whatever i dont think it will be because if you hit 3rd it grinds and trys to move real slow but i shift past it every time i have only had this 86 2 days tho im not ridin anymore until i get this fixed

Tri-Z Pilot
02-09-2009, 12:31 AM
From my understanding you can use either gear setups (5spd/6spd) in either year tri-z's cases. I.E. 5spd trans in 86, 6spd trans in 85, the cases are the same. You just got to use the gears/shafts, shift forks, and shift drums from the appropriate year setup, no mis matched parts

What is the purpose/procedure for cutting the gears. I have heard of angle cut, and back cut gears I believe, but have no idea what they help. I hsve primarily seen this setup in drag bikes.

yamaha_ripper98
02-09-2009, 01:54 AM
are the rods that hold the shifting forks the same for both 85 and 86

i would think they have to be but just makin sure

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-09-2009, 05:28 PM
are the rods that hold the shifting forks the same for both 85 and 86

i would think they have to be but just makin sure

yes they are. you will need to swap the shift cam, forks, and both shafts with the gears to work. ive done few swaps, it doesnt take to long.

tecat-z
02-09-2009, 05:57 PM
From my understanding you can use either gear setups (5spd/6spd) in either year tri-z's cases. I.E. 5spd trans in 86, 6spd trans in 85, the cases are the same. You just got to use the gears/shafts, shift forks, and shift drums from the appropriate year setup, no mis matched parts

What is the purpose/procedure for cutting the gears. I have heard of angle cut, and back cut gears I believe, but have no idea what they help. I hsve primarily seen this setup in drag bikes.

Straight cut gears are what the oems use, only they are typically cast as close to perfect as possible and touched up at the factory for perfect engagement. They tend to be a bit more rugged to everyday abuse since there is more "meat" on contact when gears slide into each other. Backut trans gears have a reversed angle so the gears slide into each other on engagement and hold. But... the tips of dogs become slightly weaker because dog is cut back at angle. Generally this is better suited for a more drag oriented machine. Shifting is more positive, and does require a BIT more pull/push on shift petal. I've got a backcut MRE 6speed in my 86.:beer