PDA

View Full Version : 250R fork removal question ?

luv2fish
07-07-2003, 01:15 PM
I have an '81 250R that I'm rebuilding. I'm having a heck of a time removing the front axle from the hub. It appears to be frozen solid to the right fork. Does anyone have a trick for getting the axle out of the front wheel hub ? Thanks in advance

-dan

skippy
07-07-2003, 02:21 PM
heat sounds like an answer

Mobular
07-07-2003, 02:41 PM
Have it pressed out. Heat won't get into the center of the hub where the bearing collar is. That is most likely what has rusted to the axle, and frozen the whole assembly up.

deathman53
07-07-2003, 09:55 PM
maybe you could bust out the bearings too. Thats what I had to do on my r, then alteast you can get to the collar. after that I set the bearing(the one still on the bolt between a vise, heated it the sleave , put it in oil, heated it up more and used a copper punch and beat the bolt out. make sure before you beat the end you put a heavy duty nut on it and have a tread file handy(snap-on sells one for $9). After I was done I had to repair the bolt alittle. If you have a machine shop local get out the bolt(with the bearing on it) and have them press it out. A compatitant shop will put to thick peice of copper or brass to protect the threads.