PDA

View Full Version : YTM 200 timing / valve adjust

KaliCR250R
02-05-2009, 03:31 PM
ok first i wanna start by saying i did a search for this and cant find enough info to go off of... i finally got some new piston rings in my ytm and got it back together.... ive double checked my timing, if im even doing it right... i start with the piston at T.D.C and line up the arrows..... she will start but in my own opinion the timing seems to be alittle off....but she runs... any tips or tricks on valve adjustments?? do i check em at top dead center also?? something like.... intake = .05-.09 mm... exhaust = .11-.15 mm .... i should also say before i double checked my timing... i figured id double check my carb....as its been sitting in a box for 2+ years... i didnt tear it down but just gave it it a good cleaning....clean....it just doesnt seem to rip like i think it should... although i havent taken it on a hot lap yet...i still gotta fab up some new engine stay brackets...as mine were lost in the last move... any tips or tricks...?? any input or insight would be appriciated. ....also ill get some more pix up after the ole lady finds the SD card for our camera... Thanks guys.. :wondering :wondering

KaliCR250R
02-05-2009, 05:41 PM
*update* still fires right up... spittin alittle outta the carb... thanks.

Sargon2112
02-05-2009, 06:44 PM
It's easy to be one tooth off on the timing chain on some engines and barely be able to see it. I did that on my TR200 once. It would start up great, and run good (but sluggish) up to about 3/4th throttle then it would start backfiring...

When you line the piston up at TDC, are you using the "T" mark or the "F" mark on the flywheel? You should be using the "T" mark.

Check the valves at TDC with the engine stone cold.

Check your compression too if you have the means...

Good luck!

KaliCR250R
02-05-2009, 07:41 PM
thanks for the input... i bet im just a click off... i didnt look at the flywheel... i did the old coat hanger trick.... ... but ill try to play with it a bit... i would say trailprotrailpro spot on with the back firing at 3/4 throttle... mine just more spittin out the carb at 3/4 then actually backfiring... its hard to judge because when i pulled the old rings (Completely worn out) ...it still ran... just not well...smoked like crazy... im gunna fine tune the timing and check those valves...

Sargon2112
02-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Cool man, post back & let me know how it goes!