PDA

View Full Version : SIMPLE question I KNOW someone on here can answer.

Saul
02-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Ok, my 34MM PJ came with hex head jets - I'm in the middle of tuning and I'm down to my smallest hex headed jet but still rich up top. I have smaller main jets from my PE carb but they are 'slot head' style.

My question is - can I run slot headed main jets in a PJ carb.

Saul
02-05-2009, 04:03 PM
22 views and nobody knows?

braunz200x
02-05-2009, 04:15 PM
yes it will work the fact that its hex or slotted has nothing to do with the hole that the gas goes thru

braunz200x
02-05-2009, 04:39 PM
also sounds like you mite be changing more than a couple sizes so you mite want to consider changing your needle good luck

Dirtcrasher
02-05-2009, 04:49 PM
You just have to be aware of the height of the jet - I assume you are referring to the "main" jet?? If the round head (you call slot) is shorter than the hex, then a higher level of fuel would need to be maintained in the bowl. It may not look like much but 2mm of height is a big deal and create other issues that will have you shaking your head. Just think about how critical float levels can be sometimes.......

braunz200x
02-05-2009, 04:58 PM
edit: dirtcrashers rite

brapp
02-05-2009, 05:14 PM
i think what dirt crasher was referign to is the height of the jet to the fuel leven. and if i rember corectly the hex jets are longer and stick further down into the bowl and there fore need a lower float height and you willhave to adjust your float height to maintain the constant fuel to the main jet. so you willhave to bed the float needle down a bit to let the fuel height rise to mee the jet . but i ahve jetted tond of bikes, quads and trikes, and coincider changign heat range on your plug to get you into the right ballpark on the main. drop to a lower number say if yout runnign a b8es plug and its runnign rich drop ot a b7es to get a diffrent heat range and check to se ewhat that does for you. it shoudl lean it out a bit.

Saul
02-05-2009, 07:25 PM
well - almost blew my engine by running the slot head!

I'm really new to this and learning as I go - I guess the 'hard' way tonight. I went out and swapped out the hex head to a slot head before these other replies.

I looked at the size of both jets and the hex is alot 'longer' but hey 'that guy on the forum said it would be ok!' so I slapped the slot head jet in there.

Kick - nothing - kick again - sputter - kick again - REV TO THE trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro MOON!!!!

Kill switch wouldn't kill the engine - OMG - I just brainfarted for a second or two before thinking to rip the plug cap off.

What the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro just happened I think to my self?!

Maybe that slot head jet shouldnt be in there?! Come back in and read this - NO - it shouldnt be in there. *groan*

Thanks guys.

brapp
02-05-2009, 08:27 PM
good boy just live and learn.

Saul
02-05-2009, 08:44 PM
good boy just live and learn.

Yeah man - gotta learn from my mistakes. :beer