PDA

View Full Version : 250R modifications worth it?

tmecars
02-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Hey everyone,
In my eternal quest to get 2 trikes running well at the same time I've been thinking as I'm making a list of parts to buy. Both my race trikes are stock. I'm waiting on a new carb for the Tecate and bearings for the R. But here is my question:

Is there a REAL seat-of-the-pants difference in upgrading the simple things like pipes, carbs, reeds, etc? I have never ridden any other trikes but mine.

T

atctim
02-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Yes- even just upgrading to an aftermarket pipe makes these things run much healthier. The stock pipes are very restrictive.

Saul
02-05-2009, 12:44 PM
I can't speak for anyone else or any other model of trike but my own - but - my aircooled 250R was bone stock when I got it and I thought it was a pretty quick lil trike coming off a Big Red. Then I got the aftermarket bug and threw a Bassani pipe, 34mm PJ carb, K&N filter, Boyesoen Reeds, reed spacer, new sprockets and chain and started running higher quality tranny oil and premix oil - now it's a NIGHT and DAY difference. It doesn't even feel like the same bike AT ALL.

The bike, in 4th gear, can now outperform what it could before in 5th.

Hey everyone,
In my eternal quest to get 2 trikes running well at the same time I've been thinking as I'm making a list of parts to buy. Both my race trikes are stock. I'm waiting on a new carb for the Tecate and bearings for the R. But here is my question:

Is there a REAL seat-of-the-pants difference in upgrading the simple things like pipes, carbs, reeds, etc? I have never ridden any other trikes but mine.

T

atvmxr
02-05-2009, 11:42 PM
speaking from the 4 wheeled versions of the motors in question... yeah there is a noticeable difference... V2 or boysen reeds/cage, LRD or Duncan pipes, 38mm air striker carb from dirt bikes (or a 35mm if you want killer lowend to sacrifice mid-top power) or a 36PJ bored out to 37. then you get into porting + shaved heads.
i have NEVER considered a stock honda 250r in anywhere close to the seat of pants power compared to the full LRD mod motor i have.

but over time you get used to it... then its time for a 500 motor swap... those you dont really ever get used to, at least not for a few months.... :lol:

Autophysn
02-06-2009, 01:55 AM
speaking from the 4 wheeled versions of the motors in question... yeah there is a noticeable difference... V2 or boysen reeds/cage, LRD or Duncan pipes, 38mm air striker carb from dirt bikes (or a 35mm if you want killer lowend to sacrifice mid-top power) or a 36PJ bored out to 37. then you get into porting + shaved heads.
i have NEVER considered a stock honda 250r in anywhere close to the seat of pants power compared to the full LRD mod motor i have.

but over time you get used to it... then its time for a 500 motor swap... those you dont really ever get used to, at least not for a few months.... :lol:

Have you done a 500 swap into a trx250r? I hear the vibrations from the 500 shake the hell out of the bike and cause major weirdo problems. I was gonna do this to my brother's TRX, but decided against it due to other articles.

Now, as to your question. Yes, I do beleive changes in exhaust and the way the motor recieves air and fuel are highly noticable in the two stroke engines.
4 stroke, not so much, unless you go all the way, then yeah, it is huge. But just a simple aftermarket pipe on a 2 stroke does wake it up. I started out with a super wazoo pipe that was only really good in the top end, and I had to be hauling major but to be in the power band. Then I went to just a FMF fatty, and I now have what I feel to be great all around performance regardless of speed. I am not a racer, but seen how just the two different pipes make drastic changes in the way the bike behaves. Also, not on my bike, but I have riden bone stock water pumper 250r's and they really did not even compare to throttle responce and power band curve like mine.

Bottom line, I say go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!:beer

atvmxr
02-06-2009, 06:59 PM
check the quad forum for the thread on my 500 hybrid... ;)

back to topic...:)

tmecars
02-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Awesome info, everyone. Thank you. I'm definitely going to go ahead and experiment with some different setups. The first challenge though is to get these bearings in. That's a different post altogether.

T