PDA

View Full Version : 85r carb and reed cage questions

mrtwidster1
02-02-2009, 05:54 PM
I have a 85 waterpumper r that has a pro x sleeve that is supposed tp be bored to 290 sumthing or other. It had a rad valve with a 40mm lectron carb and the bike was set up to drag. I tore the bike down and now I will be going together with it. I want a better low end than this bike had so I am going to experiment with different carbs and such. Has any one used the cr reed cage set up pictured below and if so what was the results.
I have a new pwk 39mm i am going to try. I also have a 39mm I think is a pj carb the slide is oval. (Is one carb better than the other) I have a rad valve that came on the bike I also have a reed valve with a plastic stuffer insert. The pipe that was on it was a FMF gold series but I am going to try a different pipe that may be a ct. I really want a low to mid range set up. The bike had a 8inch extended swinger that my son cut back to a plus 3 for me. I have a stock mikuni for the 85 that I may try. Any suggestions on what to start out with to get a good overall performance range. I am trying to sell the lectron so it is not an option.
The pic of the cr 250 cage has a matching boot. Is this a better setup?
I appreciate the advice!

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh331/mrtwidster1/cr250VALVE.jpg

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh331/mrtwidster1/100_4611.jpg

Tri-Z Pilot
02-03-2009, 12:42 AM
If you are going with a 34mm, go with the stock 86R carb, it supposedly is a better unit than the 85 stocker. I saw how mean Brapps R was this weekend, and that was running a stock carb on a 265 bore with DG pipe (I think thats what he said) with stage 3 national porting from DR? ( again I'm not positive, I was pretty tuned up at the time) He was powersliding sideways in a wheelie on his icetrack, It was awesome. I think he even said that would smoke his Zilla. You may want to check ESR for pipes, I believe they make a good all around pipe, but Jason Liskey said the Ideal bottom pipe for an R would be an FMF Gnarly, but good look finding one. You can also get torque stuffer kits, which you insert into the expansion chamber, and it tricks the motor into giving you more bottom.

I would send Brapp a pm of what you are looking for power wise. He has a couple R's, and he races X-country, so chances are he will have the info on a good setup.

mrtwidster1
02-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks mr z-pilot