PDA

View Full Version : 250sx engine part id

pudding
01-31-2009, 11:49 PM
ok, pulled the side cover off, clutches, everything was going ok, check for loose bits before rolling it over on the bench, heard a clunk and this appeared

its 10mm long, 6mm in diameter, wonder if it is a oil retricter in a gallery or centre of the crankshaft or something. it does fit in the end of the crank, and that will explain why we didn't see it, but it does seem weird

but cannot find mention of it in the workshop manual or the parts diagrams

so what gives, its a 87 model,

we have the barrel off now, will split the casing when the mechanic gets back from his fishing trip lol. couple other things to pull off before we can split the casing

any ideas will help me sleep tonight lol.....

i am enjoying stripping it down, much more interesting then big stuff

Dirtcrasher
02-02-2009, 11:57 AM
That sure looks like an oil metering device. They are sometimes in the clutch case or the center case where the oil galleries are cast into and machined. The ones I've seen in the cases have an o ring on them so that it does it's job and forces the oil thru the metered hole......

Is it anywhere on the microfiche?? I can't remember if I could find mine from the 87 200X motor on the fiche.... But, it had 2 of them with orings.

pudding
02-04-2009, 03:18 AM
hey dirtcrasher, i forgot to take the part to the dealer today, i will tommorrow, and ask him, i like your answer it makes sense, it just didn't fit the holes we tried lol

the hunt continues

the cases are split now, we, have reasembled the trans tonight i will clean casings, and fit new gaskets and slide the bottom end back together, it is all bang on right, but the tension of the selectors does cause the shift barrel to be 2mm off centre, but you can move it and push the housing on nice and easy.

i have new pivot bearings for the swing arm gasket set, will pick up the culprit swingarm boot tommorrow, and rebuild it over the next couple weeks. i have offically doubled the value of it lol......but i wouldn't have anything else

honda parts are not cheap, but they can get everything for these things, that is awesome

thanks for your imput, its always appreciated here

matthew

oscarmayer
02-04-2009, 02:33 PM
it kind alooks liek a plug thaty goes in the bottom where there are 2 oil plugs (on the 125 it has them) it had something to do with the oil pressure to tension the timing chain via oil pressure. anywya, nit sure if it does the same on the 250 engine.

pudding
02-08-2009, 06:32 AM
thanks for that

asked at the honda shop and they didn't know where it came from, but wondered if someone has lost a dowl in the casing and used that instead, will look into it this week

thanks for you help :o)

oscarmayer
02-08-2009, 10:23 AM
you know iw as thinking the same thing that maybe they used it for a dowel too.

pudding
02-27-2009, 09:07 PM
well the bikes back together and it ain't dead yet lol

guessing i was from something else lol

just for some reason the shifting is 'light' guess its something to do with the spring at the end of the shaft on the right side crank case