PDA

View Full Version : 350x clutch replacement special tool?

Autophysn
01-31-2009, 01:28 AM
OK, I have never done one, it doesn't look hard. I don't have the special tool the clymer book call for, is it really needed? Thanks in advance:beer

Twilight
01-31-2009, 01:34 AM
i used a screw driver to wedge it numerous times and no problems on all my bikes. But I dont advise it, lol

3Razors
01-31-2009, 02:00 AM
What tool are you talking about? If your just replacing clutch plates a special tool is not needed. If you are trying to take off the basket then thats another story.

Vealmonkey
01-31-2009, 02:01 AM
I used a penny in the gears and an electric impact gun. The hard part for me was getting the dent out of the nut enough. I also triked to make my own special tool and broke 2 of the towers on the clutch plate base. Live and learn I guess.

Autophysn
01-31-2009, 02:54 AM
ha ha, I hope not to do that, but can see myself doing it several times before I learned, LOL!
I am only trying to replace the clutch friction plates cause it is slipping slightly. The book calls for some universal special tool, but I don't see it needing it, Just thought I would ask. Thanks guys, gonna tackle it tomorrow for removal then order from Bikerchick. Freaking the dealer wants $200 just for the steel plates, not the friction plates or spirngs, freaking crazy!

NOS_350X
01-31-2009, 03:15 AM
Its a good idea to dip the plates in oil, That way its already there between them

That specal tool....

I modified a set of vice grips, with some ends welded on it.

If the engine is in the bike, put it in gear, hold the rear brake.

I have never gotten the penny thing to work, I always eat them up.
I have taken rags around the hub and able to hold the hub good enoguh to get them.

BUT its a Pain in the _ _ _ If you dont have an impact.

codemanlyons
01-31-2009, 03:24 AM
put it in gear and use an impact......thats what i did on mine

SWIGIN
01-31-2009, 03:28 AM
my special tools are my bare hands and a good 1/2'' air impact ..... works perfect every time

Autophysn
01-31-2009, 03:42 AM
my special tools are my bare hands and a good 1/2'' air impact ..... works perfect every time

Ha ha, that's funny, I will let you guys know exactly what is going on, I am working tonight, and the bike is at my old man's. He started to tear into it, and is explaining things to me while I am on the pc looking at the pic's.
I told him, trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro, just put the impact on there and hold it. It should be enough to zap it off, and the nut will clean the threads while it comes out. Just like replacing the pulley on a Ford Alternator or something.

Then you responded and I read it to him, LOL!

Thanks alot guys, I am going to head over there tomorrow and check it out, from what I understand, you only replace the steel plates if they are tweaked right? Also, would you surface the flywheel with emery cloth or something like that? Just wondering, it would make sense, IDK.:beer

SWIGIN
01-31-2009, 03:47 AM
i normally rub the steels and all surfaces with 220 grit to break the glaze

big_daddy124
01-31-2009, 11:19 AM
i did mine last night and knocked the notch back out of the nut and held the brakes and used a socket and rachet. too easy