PDA

View Full Version : 350x big bore question

mattpiston
01-19-2009, 12:03 AM
okay i have 3 350x atcs and one is stock other i built the motor last year...but now i want the other one built for riding at the sand dunes. should i go with a 393 big bore kit and a stroker kit? or just a stroker kit and stock bore? or a 425 big bore kit? also the 425 requires case boring is that something i can do myself by spliting the case and using a good rotery file? im looking for a build that has loads of torque for climbing but i want it to be fast to race also. I am using stage 2 race grind cam also. and of corse new carb. what combination would be the best? Thanks matt.

The Goat
01-19-2009, 01:49 AM
I'll only say that a 37mm fcr is going to be your best bet for carbs. Let the gurus come in and talk engines.

Get portwork.

SWIGIN
01-19-2009, 01:52 AM
a 460 is a good solid motor...89mm bore (xr500) and a powroll crank.

check out my thread in the mad scientist section.

mattpiston
01-19-2009, 08:50 PM
are you able to kick start the 460? and how reliable is it at 100 degrees outside riding? im kinda leaning towards the 393 and stroker i think it will be more reliable wouldnt you think? thanks for the imput guys

SWIGIN
01-20-2009, 01:42 AM
starts fine but you will need to add another oil cooler with ether.

the 89mm is nice since you can use off the shelf xr500 pistons...no special high dollar parts

mattpiston
01-20-2009, 06:48 PM
will the stock transmission crank and rod hold up to the 89mm piston?

SWIGIN
01-20-2009, 07:46 PM
as well as anything else.....but your not useing a stock rod and crank for a 460.

if you just want to do the big bore dont exspect near the power....big bores make power up high.

mattpiston
01-21-2009, 10:53 PM
well im going to stroke it for sure but im not sure what i will do with the cylinder yet. i may just put a high comp piston and cam for now and then when the oil field picks back up then maybe go big!!! what is your oppinion on duel exhaust. will that hurt anything power wise? i fabricated a bigger header and i got to thinking that duel would look cool. :beer

The Goat
01-21-2009, 11:02 PM
sir with your previous post. you just started a hailstorm.

before anyone comes in here...

I spoke with Tom at TC racing about dual exhaust...it presents the same flow as a highflow exhaust system. going back into a single as quickly as possible DOES NOT increase torque or hp

according to him, flow will always be restricted by your motor...you can't make these things breathe too freely just by putting a dual on her.

mattpiston
01-22-2009, 06:27 PM
i see well i just figured it would look bad ass to have it dueled and i was just making sure that the exhaust didnt require being connected. the way i see it when the connect one helps pull the exhaust out thats why i was woundering if it will hurt any low end torque or high end. well my plan for tonight when i get home is to pull my engine out and split it open to get to my crank....i have 2 good reliable ones this one here is just my backup engine...now i just figure i will try to race at the dunes with it a lil bit....i mean the stock holds its own pretty well but allways room for power lol! thanks guys for your input.

SWIGIN
01-22-2009, 07:24 PM
heres a 2'' pipe i made for my RX....you wont need anything bigger

notice how it hugs the head/cly...i shorten the header but i doubt you can if this is for a trike.

The Goat
01-22-2009, 09:12 PM
that thing has to be loud swigin

SWIGIN
01-22-2009, 09:22 PM
nope, not at all

its deep but not what i would call loud (cobra or any old school megaphone pipe is what i call loud)

SWIGIN
01-22-2009, 09:29 PM
heres a dirty pic of the rest of the system.....its 2'' all the way back, even the core but the turn down might be slightly bigger....cant remember

last pic shows the turn down....you would be amazed at the sound waves the ground will soak up.

beleive it or not the core in this pipe is twice the length of a cobra/suppertrapp/DG megaphone

The Goat
01-22-2009, 09:31 PM
na...I have a 4 inch turndown on an xb....I know what happens. deeper with less cracking or popping.

now at 7k on the tach and I pass you on the interstate....cover your ears.

SWIGIN
01-22-2009, 09:35 PM
come on now, black top is different then dirt, how much off roading do you do in the toaster?......lol

sorry for the highjacking

The Goat
01-22-2009, 09:47 PM
come on now, black top is different then dirt, how much off roading do you do in the toaster?......lol

sorry for the highjacking

lol....a lot more than it was EVER designed for.

I've taken it down pipe lines, down dirt trails through the woods, cane fields, canal banks, you name it, this little trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro has been there. I've had to be pulled down a pipeline sideways by a tractor.

oh...and I've used it to push a chevy impala out of a ditch. when I tell you it's well built....the body kit is crap plastic, everything else is built like a tank.

oh...and during hurricane gustav, I traveled about 400ft through water that was about calf deep when riding a grizzly. lol

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i211/roundheya/b902148d.jpg

I was amazed no one commented on what was in the background of this pic...I'm in the swamp buddy.

SWIGIN
01-22-2009, 09:52 PM
pulled DOWN a pipeline...........LMAO!!!!

just keep the shiny side up and all is good.

mattpiston
01-22-2009, 09:59 PM
hey you did a good job on that exhaust....i bet it sounds sweet. well i have my engine in pieces...breaks my heart to see it this way lol. i just now got my crank out and getting it ready to send in. i will haft to get my motor back in the frame and see what to fabricate for the exhaust. im gonna leave my other 2 exhaust alone on them...one has the dg it sounds good...i like loud lol. and the other one i made out of a atwoods tractor exhaust and pipe not to put dg down or anything but this sounds better lol....its really deep and fairly loud also. but it was cheap like 12 dollars and i have a good exhaust.

SWIGIN
01-22-2009, 10:03 PM
if you can mig weld thin stuff you can make a pipe.

you can see in the first 2 pics how i used like 15 peices to get the pipe to go where i needed it to.

mattpiston
01-22-2009, 10:51 PM
yeah im a welder on a pipeline so i can weld....i think i will just oxy acetylene weld it though. cant ever really tell you welded it. once i get my engine back runing and in the frame i will take pic's of what i decided to do. dueling it would look cool but it maybe to much trouble than what its worth lol. on the oil cooler i want to put a bigger one on it....what do you think of a transmission cooler off a pickup?

The Goat
01-22-2009, 10:57 PM
use a 450r oil cooler...he did, recommended it to me...and it's PERFECt

SWIGIN
01-22-2009, 11:36 PM
use a 450r oil cooler...he did, recommended it to me...and it's PERFECt

word....lol

that's the cooler to use but i cant really give pointers on mounting it since i never owned a 350x trike.

i do however have a thread on a easy way to get the oil lines made for the 450r cooler....but im on my ps3 right now and cant give you the link.