PDA

View Full Version : yamaha YT 175 head/reed question

Yamaha_Rules69
01-18-2009, 09:30 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the head differences on the 82' 175 J and the 83' 175 k. The part numbers dont match up. I have a 175 I just rebuilt, and on the new top (different jug I got on ebay) end I noticed the reed block was smaller? I had to use the reed block from a YT 125. The old jug had a different head on it as well. I compared the two heads and the one had a much different shallower dome. The head also comes off at more of an angle on one corner, where the other one was uniform all the way across, like a square. I was wondering if this is an aftermarket head, or is it a head from a 83 175 k? The 175k must use the larger reed block then? Any input is appreciated. Thanks, Jon

old-yellow
08-13-2009, 11:44 AM
So did you ever figure out why the head is different or if its aftermarket.

Yamaha_Rules69
08-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Im still not 100% sure. The motor would deffinatly have higher compression with this head, as the dome is much shallower. It is not a fancy DG head like you were looking for but somthing else. I was leaning towards somthing off a dirtbike, DT 175 or MX 175? Not sure though. It dosnt look like any of the other 125/175 YT heads I have laving around. The tri moto 175 it came off had rubber coated plastic to black, had blue "Tri Moto 175 R" stickers on it, and the jug had some different porting when compared to the stock 175 jug I had, and a PK exhaust, but nothing else that caught my eye. The jug off this "R" YT was badly burnt and scored on the exhaust port, and was not able to be salvaged without a sleeve. I would post some pics, but camera program is not working. If you have any other questions please ask.

old-yellow
08-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Interesting, the stickers that say "Tri Moto 175 R" was it a one piece or did it look like it was homemade, aftermarket or factory and was it one of the 175's you sold or do you still have it.

Thanks, Alex

Yamaha_Rules69
08-13-2009, 09:01 PM
The stickers were definatly made from a decal-like machine of some sort and are a one piece blue in color. I still have the 175 at the farm in the shed, but I did sell it to a guy. I havnt spoken to him latley, and he is locked up. I dont know what he plans to do with it, as he ran it too lean and scored another piston/cylinder. I dont like it sitting there, but I cant sell it from under him, or push it outside to let it rot. I'll try to figure out what he plans to do with it whenever I see him again.

old-yellow
08-13-2009, 10:46 PM
If you do talk to him and he wants to sell it, I would be really Interested in it also I know you said that your camera program is not working but if you do get it working can you please post pictures of it and what city do you live in? sorry for the ten thousand question's.

Thanks, Alex

old-yellow
10-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Hey Yamaha, I was just wondering if you ever got your camera working?