PDA

View Full Version : found a big red and have a question

yater
07-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Well I bought an 84 200es yesterday and almost everything on it seems to be in good shape. No play in fork, gears are fine, lights work--Anyway, two things--The front tire seems to leak at the rim (not a hole in the tire) and i want to put a tube in it. Is there anything I should know about this? Also, where the exhaust meets the motor, there is carbon built up from a leak. The two bolts will tighten and then rattle loose very quickly. Can I replace the bolts and the mount that they go through without changing the pipe? What if they are stripped? Thanks alot in advance.

MR ATC
07-04-2003, 01:38 PM
since it is the FRONT tire you can get away with useing a tube. if it was the rear i would say no rear tires will spin the tube in the tire and rip the stem out.
for your exhaust problem i would take the bolts out and remove the pipe. then remove all carbon build up and get a new gasket. clean out the bolts holes (cleaning tap) and the bolts. reassembly everything and use red loctite on the bolts. this should solve your problems.

Howdy
07-04-2003, 01:59 PM
since it is the FRONT tire you can get away with useing a tube. if it was the rear i would say no rear tires will spin the tube in the tire and rip the stem out.

I run tubes in my rear tires with out any problems. The trick is to run 4-5lbs air pressure. On a non-suspention model it will be a little harder ride. ;)
Howdy

smokinwrench
07-04-2003, 02:06 PM
I have ran tubes in the rear tires with NO PROBLEMS. I would dismount and clean the bead, before installing the tube.

Josh

yater
07-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Thanks everyone. I got a tube and will pull the front tire off and make sure everything is clean before I put it back on.