PDA

View Full Version : 85 250SX what do you think???

1987350x
01-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Good shape. runs great. replaced rear brake & front wheel hub.
Has reverse & electric start. needs a battery asking $1250.

The tank has some runs in the paint from a poor paint job.
Looks like original tires
What are the pros and cons of this machine.
What's a good price to offer.

userj8670
01-14-2009, 10:23 AM
def not a $1250 bike. its nice with nice orig. plastic. id say 700 is fair

edog
01-14-2009, 10:25 AM
def not a $1250 bike. its nice with nice orig. plastic. id say 700 is fair

/\/\/\second that/\/\/\

badasskfx
01-14-2009, 10:31 AM
these are good strong running machines. appears to have an oil issue on the bottom end. theonly thing that broke on mine in 7 years was the swing arm bearings (twice) and cabels. had a trans shifting issue also. theres a shaft/bolt in the trans that gets loose and causes all kinds of shifting issues..

1987350x
01-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the input.
bada$$ thanks for the heads up on the possible problem areas

Itrike
01-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Those arn't the original tires and like was said around 700 is abought right.

oscarmayer
01-14-2009, 01:52 PM
^ yup $700 MAX! if it was fully restored or nearly new with nearly NO rust, then "maybe" $1100-$1200, but that better be a machinein perfect shape and pretty much no rust (except maybe "tiny" sponts on the exhaust and skid plates only)

pistonhead72
01-15-2009, 12:47 AM
these are good strong running machines. appears to have an oil issue on the bottom end. theonly thing that broke on mine in 7 years was the swing arm bearings (twice) and cabels. had a trans shifting issue also. theres a shaft/bolt in the trans that gets loose and causes all kinds of shifting issues..

What kind of shifting issues? I was just riding my SX a few hours ago that I bought recently. 2 or 3 times when upshifting, I seemed to hit neutral, I think it was when I was shifting into 4th. I was gettin' on it hard and after shifting to 4th
and hitting the throttle wide open again, there was nothing, engine just revved to the moon. Of course instead of waiting for the revs to drop, I kicked the shifter again and it went into 4th. I'm guessing that's really bad for the tranny right? If you shift without letting off the throttle, that's bad too, right? I've never owned anything with a semi-automatic trans. before, so I honestly don't know.

badasskfx
01-15-2009, 08:26 PM
theres a spring that returns the shifter to the center posistion. when you shift down and release the shifter it should spring back into posistion. what happens is the spring is on both sides of a little boilt that will loosen over time and in some cases will snap off. i had it happen on 2 diffrent engines. it can also mess up the threads the bolt goes in. it is a real easy fix. just tip the bike on its side and remove the side cover. you will see the bolt and sppring im refering too.

87350x that price may also reflect supply and demand in your area. not sure if those are on evrey corner in your area but there not so common around here any more. they go for 700 to 1000 though in decent rider form.

pistonhead72
01-15-2009, 08:39 PM
theres a spring that returns the shifter to the center posistion. when you shift down and release the shifter it should spring back into posistion. what happens is the spring is on both sides of a little boilt that will loosen over time and in some cases will snap off. i had it happen on 2 diffrent engines. it can also mess up the threads the bolt goes in. it is a real easy fix. just tip the bike on its side and remove the side cover. you will see the bolt and sppring im refering too.

87350x that price may also reflect supply and demand in your area. not sure if those are on evrey corner in your area but there not so common around here any more. they go for 700 to 1000 though in decent rider form.

Thanks, I'll check it out if it happens again. Which side cover? Left or right?:)

badasskfx
01-15-2009, 09:01 PM
its on the shifter side...

pistonhead72
01-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks. I'll check it out.